Does it get much better than the HD800?
Jan 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #301 of 357
Way better or subtly better but way more expensive?

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #303 of 357
Way better or subtly better but way more expensive?

It's twice the price but definitely not twice as good... However, the corrections made with LCD3 made me a fan of at least one of their headphones whereas the others just didn't cut it for me at all.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #304 of 357
Double post

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #305 of 357
Questions: will a Toxic Cable Silver Widow work well with HD800?
Will the Mjolnir / Gungnir combo work well with HD800? Currently own LCD2.2 and they sound nice but there is a real lack of sound stage and that is bugging me more and more.

May 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #306 of 357
Will the Mjolnir / Gungnir combo work well with HD800? Currently own LCD2.2 and they sound nice but there is a real lack of sound stage and that is bugging me more and more.

The mjolnir/gungnir sounds great with almost anything... But the mjolnir may be too forward sounding for the HD800's; it's an aggressive amp. i have a usb gungnir for sale if ever you're interested by the way

May 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #307 of 357
Quote:

The Gungnir makes that combo overall fatiguing. I'd still say it's very enjoyable, however
switching out for a tad bit of warmth on the DAC will do you wonders.

May 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #308 of 357
Quote:

I switched from the MJ/GNG combo,to the Crack tube amp,,& I feel it has improved my overall sound quality greatly.
It has added a bit of warmth ,which I prefer.
The MJ/Gng combo was a bit to harsh for my ears,& my music preferences.
Also,I just got the Uber upgrade on my Bifrost dac,and as Para has said...I'd go with a new dac ,instead of a different cable.
I have never owned the cable you mentioned,but,a silver cable ,might add some brightness & detail in the high end,at least ,it did for me
With my current selection of tubes,I often change them,depending on what genre of music ,I feel like listening to..warmer tube for classical,brighter tube for rock..etc.

May 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #309 of 357
I have made some big changes lately and lets just say that between the PS1000 and the SR-009 I don't miss the HD800 at all. I've been without the 009 for a while now as well and must add that the PS1000 is a very engaging and underrated headphone. I'm not knocking the HD800 by any means but they are only as engaging as the source material, and for myself the soundstage sounded artificially enhanced at times. I miss the physical comfort of the HD800 as much as anything else.

Is the SR-009 better? Definitely yes, at everything. The PS1000, while more of a sidegrade to the HD800, has a much more engaging sound. I would say that detail extraction between the two is about the same, soundstage and comfort goes to the HD800, but dynamics and musicality go to the PS1000 hands down.
I am not a Grado fanboy by any means but this can is a keeper
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #310 of 357
Quote:
I have made some big changes lately and lets just say that between the PS1000 and the SR-009 I don't miss the HD800 at all. I've been without the 009 for a while now as well and must add that the PS1000 is a very engaging and underrated headphone. I'm not knocking the HD800 by any means but they are only as engaging as the source material, and for myself the soundstage sounded artificially enhanced at times. I miss the physical comfort of the HD800 as much as anything else.

Is the SR-009 better? Definitely yes, at everything. The PS1000, while more of a sidegrade to the HD800, has a much more engaging sound. I would say that detail extraction between the two is about the same, soundstage and comfort goes to the HD800, but dynamics and musicality go to the PS1000 hands down.
smily_headphones1.gif

the ps1000 is still on my to-buy list 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #311 of 357
Quote:
I would say that detail extraction between the two is about the same, soundstage and comfort goes to the HD800, but dynamics and musicality go to the PS1000 hands down.
smily_headphones1.gif

eek.gif
  Really???

Quote:

the ps1000 is still on my to-buy list 
tongue_smile.gif

Yep - On buy buy list as well - for a while now..

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #312 of 357
Quote:
Quote:
I would say that detail extraction between the two is about the same, soundstage and comfort goes to the HD800, but dynamics and musicality go to the PS1000 hands down.
smily_headphones1.gif

eek.gif
  Really???

Yes, definitely. I would say that "D&M" are strengths of the PS1000, not so much for the HD800. Both are great headphones and would compliment each other well I think, but the PS1000 also compliments my LCD2 rev.1 just fine.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #313 of 357
I have said this elsewhere. LCD-3 did not wow me like HD800 or HE6 for that matter. I would get them though -- they are good -- just lower on my list than other stuff.

Edit: and I forgot to add, I think that SR009 with BHSE or SR007 with BHSE are better. just my two cents.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #314 of 357
Quote:

Yes, definitely. I would say that "D&M" are strengths of the PS1000, not so much for the HD800. Both are great headphones and would compliment each other well I think, but the PS1000 also compliments my LCD2 rev.1 just fine.

I really enjoyed my Grado days, especially the modding scene, but I just couldn't get over how freakin' hot the treble was. I ended up making a mod up just to fix that problem. If the HD800 is hot, Grado cans are flaming...I find that Anaxed HD800s are by far my favorite can (when fed correctly, mind you) other than the SR009. I actually prefer HD800 sound to Orpheus sound. It's just a bit too syrupy sounding for an electrostat (at least to me).

Kojaku

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #315 of 357
Quote:
Quote:

I really enjoyed my Grado days, especially the modding scene, but I just couldn't get over how freakin' hot the treble was. I ended up making a mod up just to fix that problem. If the HD800 is hot, Grado cans are flaming...I find that Anaxed HD800s are by far my favorite can (when fed correctly, mind you) other than the SR009. I actually prefer HD800 sound to Orpheus sound. It's just a bit too syrupy sounding for an electrostat (at least to me).

Kojaku

I had a 325i for a short time, and the treble presentation with that headphone was too sharp for me. I am fine with that aspect of the HD800 and PS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back