does anyone still love their ps1000?
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 292
I don't need proof just common sense 
biggrin.gif
. If you think otherwise, good for you.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #17 of 292

Quote:
even if it is regarded by many here (including those who haven't heard it) as overpriced, unfashionable, unworthy and not an ortho  technologically outdated
wink.gif

It's not specifically about it not being an ortho. 

I won't say anything negative as requested by the OP, but I think one reason for a dwindling support base is that there are now a lot of other headphones on the market that are all cheaper, and use more advanced technology.  The T1, HD800 and all the orthos not to mention Stax.  The PS1000 is a 25 year old design with new earpads.  This just makes the PS1000 look like a ripoff, which it is in comparison.  (R&D) 

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 292

Quote:
GS1000 marked the end of Grado for me. The PS1000 and HF2 confirmed that Grado has nothing new to offer except for producing headphones with average sound and poor build quality.

actually, it's because of gs1000.  i was thinking of getting ps1000.....until the new color......i'm going to get one more headphone this year and it's either ps1000 or he6/he500

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 292
I own the PS1000 and realized long time ago that regular talking about them just makes no sense. I owned the T1, tried the D7000, HD800, W5000, etc. and the PS1000 are just better. It's a neverending battle that people come and talk that "with the right equipment" it's otherwise. No, it's not. Too many people here is too entitled to their opinions based actually on common consensus of some devices being holy cows and the ultimate tool of judgement. Look at the Ultrasone Edition 10 adventures - most people fail to be satisfied owning them. If I had to buy a new headphone now, it woud be most probably these. I haven't heard the HE-6 or LCD-2 so maybe that's why but there is no chance the HD800 or T1 are equal to the PS1000. The GS1000i is enough competition for them still hard to beat. You can say I have poor equipment so that's why I hear this way, I can say you use poor equipment so the PS1000 sound bad. It's an endless loop. Let anybody enjoy what she/he likes.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 292

Quote:

I won't say anything negative as requested by the OP, but I think one reason for a dwindling support base is that there are now a lot of other headphones on the market that are all cheaper, and use more advanced technology.  The T1, HD800 and all the orthos not to mention Stax.  The PS1000 is a 25 year old design with new earpads.  This just makes the PS1000 look like a ripoff, which it is in comparison.  (R&D) 

Thanks for not saying anything negative.  
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 292
I think rhythmdevils got the right idea.

There really just isn't much evidence, if at all, that Grado actually spent any time on R&D (or even aesthetics & using nicer materials) when they designed the PS1000 and priced it a ridiculous $700 higher than the GS1000.  This, coupled with the fact that it looks exactly like nothing more than a metal GS1000, which was a love-hate headphone already, and the complaints that some PS1000s arrived with aesthetic flaws that were unacceptable for a headphone in this price range, really cemented its reputation as sort of a rip-off pretty early on.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 292

Quote:

Stop putting words in my mouth! 
wink.gif
 Orthodynamics and electrostatics are hardly advanced technology; just old technology that's been tweaked and re-packaged. I think that John Grado might deserve a little more credit than you are prepared to give him for his newest designs. Anyway, I doubt that anyone buys a Grado because they are looking for the last word in cutting-edge audio design. Massive R&D is not a prerequisite for classic design or good sound.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #23 of 292
Oops, I apologize for being negative.  I read the thread last night but decided to just post right now and forgot about his request.

Unfortunately, editing posts isn't working for me and hasn't for a while. 
angry_face.gif

I'll try to figure out what's up...

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #24 of 292
I don't care if they were made in a sweatshop or in a clean room in a lab, if they sound good and better than other stuff, I'll like them.

Sigh I've never heard anything above my hot rodded 225's, I've owned RS-2's but these sound better. I'm really interested in the new "i" models too but I digress. There have always been more "technologically advanced" headphones than grado for the last 20 years. I mean the HD 580/600/650 back when I was posting on here a lot was STILL losing to some Grado cans by a large (wouldn't say majority, but it's enough to be noticed) number of users.

This hobby is all about preference and I think the PS-1000 doesn't get publicized because a good amount of people who buy them don't even post on head-fi. They're too busy listening =)

Now who's going to let me borrow their PS-1000's?

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 292
I'm curious why you think they're not as popular.  Sales figures?  Just because there are not a lot of fanboy posts about them?

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #27 of 292
I really like the PS1K's.

When the end of the journey nears and one uses Music as intended (for enjoyment and not a tool to evaluate equipment), you find the Audio equivelent of comfort food. The PS1K, HP-2 and the Magnum derivative are just such transducers.  
Find an amp that likes your load and just shimmer with simmer as the notes flow. I tried most of the new...you can have em'! "Music IS for Lovers". Take up the cry!!  

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #28 of 292
I am coming up on the two year mark with my PS1000's. I am still liking them very much but I like the Grado sound, some don't.

These phones are certainly not the place to start for the novice; I have had SR60's, SR80's, Vintage RS1, SR325, RS1, GS1000.

I also have a pair of HP2's but they are a different species of Grado entirely so I don't bother to compare the two but appreciate them on their own merits.

And yes, I think the the new orthos are stealing some fire, I use HE-6's as well but again a totally different type of sound (not to mention power requirements) so not a really a fair comparison.

These are very revealing phones, I have heard them in the wrong set-up and the bass was too boomy and not well integrated, but with right gear there is a magic and organic quality to the sound that draws one into the music, much better than any previous (John) Grado design IMO.

It is ironic that the limited edition PS-1's which were a John Grado creation, are still held in very high esteem, cost $1400 new several years back, (when the top dynamic Sennheiser was the HD650) and not many people complained. Now they typically sell for twice the original price if you can track down a pair and it was these phones that are considered the precursor to the PS1000's.

I don't think Grado expected the PS1000's to be flying out the warehouse, it is an upper-end product that will thus ultimately appeal to a more specialized market. Now about this new chrome/mirror finish? Let's just say I am happy I got one of the "classic" pair.:wink:

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #29 of 292

Quote:
I own the PS1000 and realized long time ago that regular talking about them just makes no sense. I owned the T1, tried the D7000, HD800, W5000, etc. and the PS1000 are just better. It's a neverending battle that people come and talk that "with the right equipment" it's otherwise. No, it's not. Too many people here is too entitled to their opinions based actually on common consensus of some devices being holy cows and the ultimate tool of judgement. Look at the Ultrasone Edition 10 adventures - most people fail to be satisfied owning them. If I had to buy a new headphone now, it woud be most probably these. I haven't heard the HE-6 or LCD-2 so maybe that's why but there is no chance the HD800 or T1 are equal to the PS1000. The GS1000i is enough competition for them still hard to beat. You can say I have poor equipment so that's why I hear this way, I can say you use poor equipment so the PS1000 sound bad. It's an endless loop. Let anybody enjoy what she/he likes.

So first you talk about opinions but then say this.

Please do tell us what makes the PS1000 so far superior to the T1 and HD800.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #30 of 292
OP, I still love the PS1000! Sold the LCD-2 in under 30 days. Also parted with the HD 800, although I acknowledge its greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back