does anyone still love their ps1000?
Jun 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #31 of 292
Yes, I forgot to reiterate that these are phones for the music lover, they remind me very much of the sound of Sonus Faber speakers; While I perceive the HD800 sounding more like a set of Wilson Audio.

Neither is right or wrong, just two different perspectives when it comes to reproducing sound.

And lastly, if one has not had the pleasure of enjoying the PS1000 with a high quality tube amplifier then you will not fully experience its textural aspects and portrayal of tonal color.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #32 of 292

Quote:
Yes, I forgot to reiterate that these are phones for the music lover, they remind me very much of the sound of Sonus Faber speakers; While I perceive the HD800 sounding more like a set of Wilson Audio.

Neither is right or wrong, just two different perspectives when it comes to reproducing sound.

And lastly, if one has not had the pleasure of enjoying the PS1000 with a high quality tube amplifier then you will not fully experience its textural aspects and portrayal of tonal color.

Good analogy that! The Stereophile listing for Class A+ speakers makes the same iteration. Every model listed has a distinct sonic character (or flavor) that is different from one to the next. It's taste (along with associated gear) that a personal "value" is given. You have to pick your own "coloration" that makes sense to you and mush on!

"Musicality" is more holistic, while "accuracy" looks toward retrieving all the information in a pit or groove. "Realism" you want the performers in the listening area. I look toward a more organic original...you can wish in one hand and dump in the other! I'll settle for an Artist intent without needing a plunge toward the Volume knob when things get nasty.... Nice and easy for many hours of uninterrupted listening. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #33 of 292

Quote:
So first you talk about opinions but then say this.

Please do tell us what makes the PS1000 so far superior to the T1 and HD800.

Please try to understand the quoted post as a whole. Each one of us stands in the same position of hearing headphones with exact equipment, one or more setups, and can't get out of this limit. So, you can find a bit of irony in the bolded statement as well. The PS1000 are not far superior, just a significant bit superior for me. T1 are better than the HD800 in terms of tonal coherence but have less expansive soundstage. The HD800 are a bit faster AFAIR but have weird treble balance, say the middle of highs is sucked out making trebles sound light and dry. Their huge soundstage lacks feeling of perspective which makes them lose in direct comparison to the GS1000. The PS1000 have more impact and texture readability than the T1 while preserving more accurate tonal balance than the HD800 IMHO. The PS1000 have perfect decay for me which is a bit compressed or shorted on the HD800. When you compare volume scalability of the PS1000 and the HD800, the latter behave in a strange way, as if they had a built-in dynamics compressor which makes quiet sounds a bit muted. I heard it with one pair and haven't realised on the other. The T1 become from song to song irritatingly boring. They sound on the PS1000's level only with some genres and mastering formats. I had impression the last time as they were dedicated for listening to hi-res HDCD or SACD samplers or artists kind of Diana Krall. Fun genres fall off, especially hard rock and metal where unrivalled harmonic resolution of the PS1000 is something important to me to enjoy distored guitars sound. Actually, Grado improved on this aspect when you compare the GS1000i's midrange to theirs. It sounded as if some of harmonics were damped or muted and replaced with the sweet wooden echo instead. It is discernible not only on the guitars but also piano and violins. I like vocals on the PS1000 because they don't add their own timbre. For some, this sounds too hollow but for me is just more real. Human voices aren't sweet in general which many "vocal oriented" headphones suggest. That's it, more or less.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #34 of 292
I still have my 17 year old Grado HP1000's. Still extraordinary. Not perfect, but something else. When I'm in that mood, I love the mid-forward presentation, tonal/texturel richness, and killer impact.

How would one compare/contrast those with the ps1000?

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #35 of 292
It's almost heart warming to see the PS1000 receive some praise here. I have also spent time with the HD800, T1 and LCD-2 but I simply prefer the PS1000, and I didn't expect to.   

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #36 of 292

Quote:
It's almost heart warming to see the PS1000 receive some praise here. I have also spent time with the HD800, T1 and LCD-2 but I simply prefer the PS1000, and I didn't expect to.   

Very interesting. Can't wait to try my PS1Ks in that case. Could you articulate on why you prefer them to the T1 and LCD2 though? 

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #37 of 292

Quote:
Please try to understand the quoted post as a whole. Each one of us stands in the same position of hearing headphones with exact equipment, one or more setups, and can't get out of this limit. So, you can find a bit of irony in the bolded statement as well. The PS1000 are not far superior, just a significant bit superior for me. T1 are better than the HD800 in terms of tonal coherence but have less expansive soundstage. The HD800 are a bit faster AFAIR but have weird treble balance, say the middle of highs is sucked out making trebles sound light and dry. Their huge soundstage lacks feeling of perspective which makes them lose in direct comparison to the GS1000. The PS1000 have more impact and texture readability than the T1 while preserving more accurate tonal balance than the HD800 IMHO. The PS1000 have perfect decay for me which is a bit compressed or shorted on the HD800. When you compare volume scalability of the PS1000 and the HD800, the latter behave in a strange way, as if they had a built-in dynamics compressor which makes quiet sounds a bit muted. I heard it with one pair and haven't realised on the other. The T1 become from song to song irritatingly boring. They sound on the PS1000's level only with some genres and mastering formats. I had impression the last time as they were dedicated for listening to hi-res HDCD or SACD samplers or artists kind of Diana Krall. Fun genres fall off, especially hard rock and metal where unrivalled harmonic resolution of the PS1000 is something important to me to enjoy distored guitars sound. Actually, Grado improved on this aspect when you compare the GS1000i's midrange to theirs. It sounded as if some of harmonics were damped or muted and replaced with the sweet wooden echo instead. It is discernible not only on the guitars but also piano and violins. I like vocals on the PS1000 because they don't add their own timbre. For some, this sounds too hollow but for me is just more real. Human voices aren't sweet in general which many "vocal oriented" headphones suggest. That's it, more or less.

Now this actually sounds legit, thank you. Gonna be a fun audition.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #38 of 292

Quote:
Very interesting. Can't wait to try my PS1Ks in that case. Could you articulate on why you prefer them to the T1 and LCD2 though? 

In my instance I felt the Audez'e superior in Balance, Bandwidth and Resolution when compared to the PS1K. My gripe after 8 mos. was both the weight and the Bear Trap like clamping of the LCD-2. The Audez'e is one of the better Headphone experiences available (IMO)...if you can stand the physical shortcomings. I still have dents on the side of my big mellon...

The 800 had a mid-band suck-out and treble (Driver) resonance that I couldn't get rid of (w/ various amps and cables etc.). That "suck-out" was advantageous for Symphonic Music (gave an illusion of space). The T1 was inoffensive but lacked drive/dynamics and missed Music's emotion (IMO). I don't like Ultrasones (I have tried 7 different over the years). The Grado (PS1K) has deviations from neutral,,,the treble is a tad sweet and the Bass is a trifle ripe.  B U T, they don't suffer the physical discomforts...and the errors are on the plus side of Music (as in forgiving)! Never tried the HE-6...and won't because of the Chinese business model.

I like the Symphone Magnum better (when used with the Peak/Volcano, VT-231 6SN7W Sylvania) or the HP-2 with the micro-Zotl (for Opera). The Melos was a good match for the HP-2 (VERY amp sensitive)...but I prefer the Berning.

Beginners always want a top phone and become disappointed....Why? Because they neglect amp...and the most important part of the chain...the Source. That is where the PS1000 will shine...it will forgive the system shortcomings...then scale well when the signal chain improves. Yes you can find something cheaper...and better constructed. But very few more "Musical" in the short-term.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #39 of 292

Quote:
 In my instance I felt the Audez'e superior in Balance, Bandwidth and Resolution when compared to the PS1K. My gripe after 8 mos. was both the weight and the Bear Trap like clamping of the LCD-2. The Audez'e is one of the better Headphone experiences available (IMO)...if you can stand the physical shortcomings. I still have dents on the side of my big mellon...

The 800 had a mid-band suck-out and treble (Driver) resonance that I couldn't get rid of (w/ various amps and cables etc.). That "suck-out" was advantageous for Symphonic Music (gave an illusion of space). The T1 was inoffensive but lacked drive/dynamics and missed Music's emotion (IMO). I don't like Ultrasones (I have tried 7 different over the years). The Grado (PS1K) has deviations from neutral,,,the treble is a tad sweet and the Bass is a trifle ripe.  B U T, they don't suffer the physical discomforts...and the errors are on the plus side of Music (as in forgiving)! Never tried the HE-6...and won't because of the Chinese business model.

I like the Symphone Magnum better (when used with the Peak/Volcano, VT-231 6SN7W Sylvania) or the HP-2 with the micro-Zotl (for Opera). The Melos was a good match for the HP-2 (VERY amp sensitive)...but I prefer the Berning.

Beginners always want a top phone and become disappointed....Why? Because they neglect amp...and the most important part of the chain...the Source. That is where the PS1000 will shine...it will forgive the system shortcomings...then scale well when the signal chain improves. Yes you can find something cheaper...and better constructed. But very few more "Musical" in the short-term.

Yea I know what you mean about the T1, definitely experienced that at first, though I don't really find that a problem anymore. Works very well in the combo I want to keep it in too. You should try the HE500, very similar to T1 but not lacking any emotion/energy. In fact, it's the most "emotional" can this side of the LCD-2. What "Chinese business model"? I've had no bad experiences with Hifiman. 

HD800, I liked it very much, but in the end I preferred the T1.

Ultrasones, only have the ED8, absolutely love it.

Haven't been disappointed with the T1, HD800, HE500, ED8, LCD2, etc in combination with my HDP, though I of course acknowledge I can always get them to sound even better.

What do you like the Magnums/HP-2 better than? The PS1Ks or the other dynamics? 

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #40 of 292

Quote:

Yes I could, but I won't as you will be trying it for yourself. 
wink.gif
 I think that I've commented upon the LCD-2 quite enough in the "Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings" thread. It's been a while since I've heard the T1, so I won't attempt to go into specifics. Suffice to say, it just wasn't for me.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 292
like them or not, the ps1000 are not "average phones" for $1,700. that's just an opinion. i think they are built and sound great. someone mentioned something here that might explain why i like their sound. i own some very high end speakers but my favorite speakers(i have) are my sonus fabers. also, a lot of people do not judge many headphones with a a fair amp. who buys $1,700 phones and plugs them into an ipod? when the ps1000 came out i saw many people doing this. or using a $300 amp. the amps i use are an ear hp4 and a cullen gcha(if i want ss).. those two amps together cost more than 5 times what the ps1000 cost. i also use a da924 out of a meridian 808i or sony scd-1. i have known people that get windshield wiper replacements for a lamborghini at wal-mart! if that is why someone says they don't like something it is because they did not have the opportunity to judge it properly. anyways guys, i am really glad this did not turn into a flame war. you respected my request thus far and i appreciate that.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 292
GS1000 marked the end of Grado for me. The PS1000 and HF2 confirmed that Grado has nothing new to offer except for producing headphones with average sound and poor build quality.

My PS1000 is in to Grado for the third time under warranty for exactly the same driver failures. The first time, Grado failed to even make the repair and the unit came back to me (no notice, no signature, just appeared on my doorstep) DOA. I returned them and they sent the unit back with assurances that it had been given the strictest QC (same no notice, no signature, etc.). It lasted a few hours and failed again; same driver failures.

Every shipment to Grado has been at my expense as Grado refused to reimburse me for shipping the second time and I'm sure will not reimburse me for this third effort. Make no mistake about it, these are warranty repairs, but they will not cover shipping for their own failures to properly perform warranty service. I don't truly object to the first shipment expense but I think it's terrible that they make me pay over and over again because they can't fix the unit correctly and, apparently, won't replace it.

When I had problems with my LCD2 and HE6, those companies provided replacements, not failed repairs. Audeze also paid for all shipping costs. I can't opine about the PS1000, except to say that for the little time I've had with in "working condition", it it sounded mediocre, at best. I'm so sick of the treatment from Grado that I actually told them I'd accept a brand new GS1000i instead of more failed repairs and that unit is worth $700 less.

The same person who assured me that he would personally make sure my PS1000 was properly repaired last time now tells me he'll "do what he can to resolve the issue". Who does he think he's kidding? This is truly disgusting. Some people here like Grado's sound so much they don't care about awful customer service. I'd like to just hear my PS1000 so I, too, can hear what they think is so great about them.

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #43 of 292
Could you please add the rest of the story that you blew the HE-6 and the LCD-2 as well? Man, the latter have 10W rated power. Are you so unlucky or your amp needs thorough revision against DC offset or hypersonic oscillations? No offense, just my advice.

Re the customer sevice, Grado repaired my GS1000i and PS1000 both for free despite the fact I had no purchase receipt. They sent the headphones back to Poland with no charge as well. I told them the PS1000 were damaged due to amplifier failure and high DC current applied to the driver but they respected my warranty anyway. So, YMMV.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #44 of 292
sorry ric, spmething is wrong with you. not grado. especially now that majkel reveals the whole story. i had a failure once or twice only.. it was taken care of promptly and politely. since i am a polite gentleman grado has done me a couple of "favors" both worth maybe $100 at no cost. i will not say what they were because people will get the wrong idea and start expecting something for nothing. the fact is, you can catch more fly's with honey than you can with vinegar. i can just see you phoning them up and screaming at them. i am sure you will deny that but reading between the lines i don't doubt it at all i am not saying for sure you did i am just taking a good guess. since i handle myself like a true gentleman i get deals and favors all over the place just for surprising people that i am nice and polite! grado is not some evil factory. at least not in my experience and i think i know why we received different treatment. again, i am just guessing but i don't think i am that far off,eh? if you blew both orthos, well..... whatever! your mad at grado? give them a break. if you drive your car 5 times the speed limit and it breaks,you call the company and "demand" a replacement, how should they treat you? i am just rubbing this in because this is what brings grado down and it has absolutely nothing to do with grado or their product in any way. it is the end user at fault..i have heard people sit on them,stretch them etc. and them be upset they snapped as well. ok.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #45 of 292

Quote:
sorry ric, spmething is wrong with you. not grado. especially now that majkel reveals the whole story. i had a failure once or twice only.. it was taken care of promptly and politely. since i am a polite gentleman grado has done me a couple of "favors" both worth maybe $100 at no cost. i will not say what they were because people will get the wrong idea and start expecting something for nothing. the fact is, you can catch more fly's with honey than you can with vinegar. i can just see you phoning them up and screaming at them. i am sure you will deny that but reading between the lines i don't doubt it at all i am not saying for sure you did i am just taking a good guess. since i handle myself like a true gentleman i get deals and favors all over the place just for surprising people that i am nice and polite! grado is not some evil factory. at least not in my experience and i think i know why we received different treatment. again, i am just guessing but i don't think i am that far off,eh? if you blew both orthos, well..... whatever! your mad at grado? give them a break. if you drive your car 5 times the speed limit and it breaks,you call the company and "demand" a replacement, how should they treat you? i am just rubbing this in because this is what brings grado down and it has absolutely nothing to do with grado or their product in any way. it is the end user at fault..i have heard people sit on them,stretch them etc. and them be upset they snapped as well. ok.

You are making a number of assumptions that are unwarranted.  I have never spoken with Grado.  Grado and I have had numerous e-mail exchanges.  Without exception, every exchange was polite on my side and, in fairness to Grado, polite on their side, too.  Their communications were very short, nearly curt.  In the first instance of the return, while the headphones were there, I asked Grado if they would allow a man well known to Grado to send them his cable for balanced recabling.  The two-word answer I received was "too late".  Period.  I didn't respond, though I found the answer rather on the rude side.  I notified the cable man about the Grado response.  Without my knowledge, he communicated with Grado and it turned out that "too late" was not only rude but wrong.  Grado installed his cables and sent me back a unit that otherwise had not been repaired.  By arrangement with Grado and the cable man, I sent the unit first to the cable man but this was just a courtesy to Grado as the unit failed before his cables were ever an issue.  He confirmed that the unit had not been repaired, his cables were fine and sent them along to Grado.  Grado "fixed" them but they never sounded more than mediocre upon receipt.  Again, after only a few hours use, they failed again.  Grado asked for full information about my equipment and I promptly provided the list.  They then said the drivers needed replacing and asked me to send the unit back, which I have done.  I even suggested to them that one resolution I could live with was to accept a new GS1000i (worth $700) less, rather than continue to play the return and repair game.  

I am upset.  But have never issued a bad or rude word to Grado.  I informed this community of my experiences and, on another thread, which you can find by searching for "Grado & Audeze" you will find the whole story and many other people who had similar experiences as mine with Grado.  I'm hardly alone.  Instead of leaping to conclusions about my behavior, constructing an entire universe of fantasy behavior on my part, you should have simply asked what I did with Grado.  How did I communicate with them.  Oh, but you already backfilled your own bad assumptions about me by also stating that you're sure I'd deny bad conduct.  Why?  Do we know each other?  On what basis do you attribute such juvenile conduct to me?  Please, go look at that "Grado & Audeze" thread.  Several people started hurling names at Grado (not me) and I asked them to stop.  I stated that my sole purpose was to provide a place where forum members could share their customer support experiences, good and bad, with other forum members because I thought those experiences were relevant to spending thousands of dollars on unreliable products while companies that made good products or fully supported bad ones should be rewarded.

I will address the remainder of my response to the person who asked about the other failures so I can answer his questions instead of defending myself from manufactured allegations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back