DIY Earbuds
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #571 of 4,717
For any of your DIY Earbud projects, have you been able to find a "Mic / Audio Control" module (Android), to install on your own twisted/braided cable?
On AliExpress, I've found a number of replacement cables, which include a "Mic / Audio Control" module, but not any separate modules.
I'd prefer not having to break one open, to try and install it on my own cable.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David Baldock

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #572 of 4,717
I look up to the taobao site. They say for black DP100 shell is sold without the front cover meanwhile transparent DP100 shell is sold with the white front cover. Do you know any further website that sell the black front cover or any DP100-compatible front cover?

I couldn't find any specifically listed as DP100 covers, but I believe these are the same. They come with drivers in the covers, but you can easily rip them out if you don't like them.

In my last post I said "the front cover for both the DP100 and mx760 looks identical in design". This actually isn't true. They are very similar looking, but I noticed just now that the DP100 looks to be based on a mx760 cover, but not identical. The standard mx760 cover I believe is like this listing. The hole pattern in the cover looks very similar but notice on the DP100 cover the center holes are all drilled through except for one, and on the mx760 none are drilled through, they are just little divots. I confirmed that my DIY Graphene front cover looks like the first link, with holes drilled through.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #573 of 4,717
For any of your DIY Earbud projects, have you been able to find a "Mic / Audio Control" module (Android), to install on your own twisted/braided cable?
On AliExpress, I've found a number of replacement cables, which include a "Mic / Audio Control" module, but not any separate modules.
I'd prefer not having to break one open, to try and install it on my own cable.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David Baldock

I found a couple by searching "diy mic" on aliexpress. Here they are, one and two. They were on the first page, I didn't go through the rest so there may be more. Also, I'm not sure if they are for android or not.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #574 of 4,717
I received my second batch of Vidos yesterday and this time all pairs have shown an imbalance on FR. I wouldn't call this new batch bass-heads either, just mid-bass bump at the best over my 1st pair which has some impressive sub-bass for an earbud. I think the major problem isn't the driver per se but they haven't a secure seal or any glue on front cover causing some alignment issue creating this slight imbalance when we measure them.

Btw, I got some measurements with these new 3 pairs (foamless) in here (my humble rig is just to check the channel balance not the FR's accuracy, so don't mind my graphic for that).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #575 of 4,717
I received my second batch of Vidos yesterday and this time all pairs have shown an imbalance on FR. I wouldn't call this new batch bass-heads either, just mid-bass bump at the best over my 1st pair which has some impressive sub-bass for an earbud. I think the major problem isn't the driver per se but they haven't a secure seal or any glue on front cover causing some alignment issue creating this slight imbalance when we measure them.

Btw, I got some measurements with these new 3 pairs (foamless) in here (my humble rig is just to check the channel balance not the FR's accuracy, so don't mind my graphic for that).

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I am pretty confident saying the difference in FR between channels in the white Vido I have is due to driver variation. I Don't have all the measurements anymore to prove this, but I did measure the earbuds before ever opening them, and these were glued firmly. I also measured them after opening them, and after recabling them. One driver always had better treble than the other. Bass response on my rig was practically the same for all of these measurements. I noticed changes in FR in other earbuds when the drivers weren't aligned properly when snapping onto the rear shell. The V or U notch in the rear of the driver, where the voicecoil wires travel through, should be aligned so it is aiming straight up (away from rear shell shaft, or direction of cable) when attaching to rear shell. I have two pairs of new Blue Vidos, I will measure them when I have time.

When you are measuring your Vido's are you taking multiple measurements per channel, and averaging your results? Are FR results in bass region fairly repeatable?

I take at least 5 measurements per channel and re-seat the earbud on my coupler for each measurement, then average them. If I didn't do this I would have lots of variation. I also don't like foamless measurements on my rig. I find it very hard to get a proper seal on the coupler, and more measurements are required to find a decent average, compared to using foam. Of course I don't know what your measurement system consists of, so this may not be an issue for you like it is for me.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #576 of 4,717
I found a couple by searching "diy mic" on aliexpress. Here they are, one and two. They were on the first page, I didn't go through the rest so there may be more. Also, I'm not sure if they are for android or not.

Thanks for the links.
The first one, with the Volume Control buttons, has this note in the description - "This remote now work for Iphone itouch ipad. If you use this remote on other device the volume control function maybe not work." - so it may not work with Android devices.
The second one, doesn't appear to have Volume Control buttons, just a Mic - so it will probably work with any sort of device.

I'd like to find a Mic w/Volume Controls, for my Android phone.
I might order #1, just to see if it works.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #577 of 4,717
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Haha, thank you for the suggestions too! It's just a small thing and I think for its price isn't fair expecting the perfection though. But, I'd say my experience with DD in earbuds were constantly impressive regarding the channel balance, even the Monk+ which has a similar price has a perfect channel match. That's the first time I found something odd with earbuds, the last time was building an IEM with BAs and if the damper wasn't 100% in the right place the difference between the channels were huge.

I am pretty confident saying the difference in FR between channels in the white Vido I have is due to driver variation. I Don't have all the measurements anymore to prove this, but I did measure the earbuds before ever opening them, and these were glued firmly. I also measured them after opening them, and after recabling them. One driver always had better treble than the other. Bass response on my rig was practically the same for all of these measurements. I noticed changes in FR in other earbuds when the drivers weren't aligned properly when snapping onto the rear shell. The V or U notch in the rear of the driver, where the voicecoil wires travel through, should be aligned so it is aiming straight up (away from rear shell shaft, or direction of cable) when attaching to rear shell. I have two pairs of new Blue Vidos, I will measure them when I have time.

I bet you're right, I was just imagining a possibility for that regular problem in every pair. Would be nice check your new measurements!

When you are measuring your Vido's are you taking multiple measurements per channel, and averaging your results? Are FR results in bass region fairly repeatable?
I take at least 5 measurements per channel and re-seat the earbud on my coupler for each measurement, then average them. If I didn't do this I would have lots of variation. I also don't like foamless measurements on my rig. I find it very hard to get a proper seal on the coupler, and more measurements are required to find a decent average, compared to using foam. Of course I don't know what your measurement system consists of, so this may not be an issue for you like it is for me.

Yes, I've measured at least 2-3 times to check the avg and it was enough to see if there's a big difference at the treble, but just 1 pair had the bass not matched. Another example: I did a small experiment using a sealed earbud with adhesive around the housing and one without any glue or adhesive - here. I measured twice per channel and the results were pretty the same. The curves have a similar pattern but the treble peaks are different in practically every Vido.

Well, at least they're cheap and sound quite nice. To be honest, I think I was expecting a bit too much haha.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #578 of 4,717
Sometimes this happens why I try to solder - the left "solder base" is gone and now attached to the solder iron. I can't even see what it was connected to on the driver, so I'm rather puzzled. Can I still use the driver? Can I avoid this somehow? Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #579 of 4,717
Sometimes this happens why I try to solder - the left "solder base" is gone and now attached to the solder iron. I can't even see what it was connected to on the driver, so I'm rather puzzled. Can I still use the driver? Can I avoid this somehow? Thanks

It's a somewhat blurry image, but there is an etch, arcing down the left side of the circuit board (under the insulated coating), from under the top-left Blue Dot, to where the solder pad was.
If you're careful, and don't use a soldering iron that too hot, you should be able to scrape the coating off a bit of the etch, and solder the wire to it.
It would probably be a good idea to glue the wire down to the circuit board, to keep from over-stressing the etch that's already been damaged.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #580 of 4,717
It's a somewhat blurry image, but there is an etch, arcing down the left side of the circuit board (under the insulated coating), from under the top-left Blue Dot, to where the solder pad was.
If you're careful, and don't use a soldering iron that too hot, you should be able to scrape the coating off a bit of the etch, and solder the wire to it.
It would probably be a good idea to glue the wire down to the circuit board, to keep from over-stressing the etch that's already been damaged.
Thanks a lot David, will try to check what you mean tomorrow in better light. Do you think the problem arises from too much heat in the first place?

And sorry yes, the image was not supposed to turn out that large:)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #581 of 4,717
For my 1000th post, I've got a question for those who have assembled or modified their own earbuds -

Do you have a list of the drivers, shells, & "tuning cotton" you've tried - and your impressions of their sound?

As of 19-AUG-17, I've used these four drivers:

1.) "16mm Headphones accessories Subwoofer Speaker unit for diy earphone headphone headset" - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16m...y-earphone-headphone-headset/32760189047.html
Used in modified MX500 shells, with a Y2 thickness of the "Y2/Y3/Y4/Y5/Y6 Earbud headphones horseshoe tuning cotton" - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Y2Y...eaker-unit-complex-for-mx500/32809374899.html
These sounded pretty good overall, but didn't have as much low Bass as #2, so I removed them from the MX500 shells, and haven't decided how I'm going to use them.

2.) "15.4mm speaker unit earphone driver bass" - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-4mm-speaker-unit-earphone-driver-bass-vocal/32477644538.html
Used in modified MX500 shells, with the "Aipinchun Diy Earphone Unit Tuning Cotton Dust-Proof with Self-Adhesive Glue for MX500" - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aip...Self-Adhesive-Glue-for-MX500/32807669592.html
These were the two sets of earbuds I assembled for a co-worker's sons, so I didn't listen to them for very long.
They seem to have good Bass, and a balanced Midrange & Treble.

3.) "15.4mm speaker unit earphone driver vocal" - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-4mm-speaker-unit-earphone-driver-bass-vocal/32477644538.html
Used in MX760 shells, with a Y2 thickness of the "Y2/Y3/Y4/Y5/Y6 Earbud headphones horseshoe tuning cotton".
They have nearly as much Bass as the "Bass" model, and a balanced Midrange & Treble.

4.) "15.4mm speaker unit double unit hifi moving coil Tri-band equalization "- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-...band-equalization-1pair-2pcs/32800609693.html
Used in MX760 shells, with a Y3 thickness of the "Y2/Y3/Y4/Y5/Y6 Earbud headphones horseshoe tuning cotton".
They have a bit less Bass than the "Vocal" drivers, and good Midrange & Treble.

I will be trying some additional models of drivers and shells - ordering some different 15.4mm drivers, and also some smaller 14.8mm drivers, along with PK1 / PK2 shells.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #583 of 4,717
I want to get started in DIY. How do you guys know which drivers to look for? Where do you buy them? Or is it all trial and error?

Well, the most commonly available DIY shells, are the MX500, MX760, and the PK1 / PK2.
I just searched on AliExpress for 15.4mm speakers, to use in the MX500 & MX760 shells; and searched for 14.8mm speakers, to fit the PK shells.

There appear to be drivers described as "vocal", "bass", "heavy bass", "hifi", and probably several other things. They're also available in various impedances - from 16Ω up to 300Ω, or more.

So, I just picked a few of the lower impedance drivers, that didn't cost too much, and gave them a try.
I'll probably try a couple of the higher impedance (150Ω - 300Ω) drivers, as well.

If you have easy access to TaoBao, you might be able to find better prices than on AliExpress - but I haven't had much luck searching their site, since I don't read Chinese.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #584 of 4,717
I've been testing some combinations with Vido's drivers recently and finally, I found something I really liked using an old Mrice E100's housing. It allows fit in two different ways which will give different results, my favorite method is fitting them like that, at least with my ears' shape that's the best way and wider sound I got with that drivers.

Mod steps here.

Also, reading the Earbuds thread recently some people were claiming really good things about RX-1 which IMO is just a decent earbud at low volumes with mids too forward to enjoy my favorite genres (prog/instrumental metal). However, after seeing the MX500 front cover I figured out there are vents just surrounding the front cover but nothing at the center so I tried a similar thing on RX-1 covering the center with an electrical tape. Mod here.

The good thing now the mids are more controlled and listenable at moderate volumes but treble somehow still a bit slow for my taste, so... back to the drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back