DIY Earbuds
Aug 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #541 of 4,707
Thanks... if you press the button "Measurement procedure" on the link to IEM measurements it says they use white noise (as far as I can see..). Have you tried both (sweep and white noise)?

Oh cool, no I haven't tried using white noise. I don't really know much about it to be honest. My limited understanding is that the white noise measurement will show the effects of harmonic distortion in the FR curve more than a sine wave frequency sweep measurement. The sine wave measurement will be more pure, in that it shows what the speaker is capable of reproducing in a narrower range. In a white noise measurement your driver is playing all frequencies at once so there will be more distortion. Which method is a more accurate reflection of the drivers ability to play music well I do not know. I think either method should serve a similar purpose and work well as long as you are comparing apples to apples.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #543 of 4,707
@slappypete : Do you know where to buy MX760 shell (same with DIY Graphene NiceHck earbuds)?

It seems that the DIY Graphene actually uses a Beyerdynamic DP100 shell, not mx760 like the description says. When searching google for Sennheiser mx760's you will see that the mx760 shells actually look like these. When comparing google image results, the front cover for both the DP100 and mx760 looks identical in design. The rear shell port design is completely different though. I have a feeling that mx760 driver units might just snap on to the DP100 rear shell as if they were made for each other. If that is true, it might explain the mx760 term being used in listings for DP100 shells.

I couldn't find DP100 shells on Aliexpress, but did find a cheap assembled DP100. I found listings for DP100 shells on TaoBao here and here. I also found this other site selling them. It seems to be the same listing photos as the TaoBao link, but the site offers worldwide shipping at checkout. So does TaoBao, but TaoBao can be complicated if you have never used it before. This site might be easier, but I make no guarantees since I have never even heard of it until today.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #544 of 4,707
Oh cool, no I haven't tried using white noise. I don't really know much about it to be honest. My limited understanding is that the white noise measurement will show the effects of harmonic distortion in the FR curve more than a sine wave frequency sweep measurement. The sine wave measurement will be more pure, in that it shows what the speaker is capable of reproducing in a narrower range. In a white noise measurement your driver is playing all frequencies at once so there will be more distortion. Which method is a more accurate reflection of the drivers ability to play music well I do not know. I think either method should serve a similar purpose and work well as long as you are comparing apples to apples.

Have you tried measuring with Arta software? There are those 2 options and I think it shows the high-frequency more detailed and not that smooth like REW (or perhaps it's just an incorrect impression) but for a beginner like me, it's easier to figure out the overall peaks.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #545 of 4,707
Have you tried measuring with Arta software? There are those 2 options and I think it shows the high-frequency more detailed and not that smooth like REW (or perhaps it's just an incorrect impression) but for a beginner like me, it's easier to figure out the overall peaks.

No I haven't. Doesn't look like Arta is available on Linux. I will try running it in a VM sometime to check it out. A white noise measurement should look less smooth compared to a sine sweep, because it shows more distortion, at least that is my understanding.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #546 of 4,707
@slappypete
Since DIY graphene earbud is actually really good, what kind of driver is it using? Is it regular - circular dynamic driver, with mentioned graphene coating?
I also wanted to mention this here, because I don't exactly see where else... there is a new Piano Forte DIY build on aliexpress, actually it is made to look like Lab 2, but I can already see from pictures that it isn't nowhere near as advanced based on vent holes alone. A very interesting thing is that both links mention BA driver, quite amazing if it's true. Links are here and here (260e without cables, that's brave of them :D)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #547 of 4,707
I looked into diy Graphene on aliexpress. Found several different price but very similar looking earbud. Are they the same? The proce difference are up to 10 usd. It's really tempting

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #548 of 4,707
@slappypete
Since DIY graphene earbud is actually really good, what kind of driver is it using? Is it regular - circular dynamic driver, with mentioned graphene coating?
I also wanted to mention this here, because I don't exactly see where else... there is a new Piano Forte DIY build on aliexpress, actually it is made to look like Lab 2, but I can already see from pictures that it isn't nowhere near as advanced based on vent holes alone. A very interesting thing is that both links mention BA driver, quite amazing if it's true. Links are here and here (260e without cables, that's brave of them :D)

haha those Lab II clones are pretty funny. The vent design is indeed nothing like the original. Cool they managed to get the mmcx connection in there. If they were priced like the DIY piano forte shells they could be a cool purchase. Btw I managed to get mmcx connections on my DIY PF. I will send you details in pm.

The DIY Graphene driver looks like a normal round 15.4mm driver. I think it is safe to assume this is not a real graphene driver. Graphene coated?... maybe. Regardless, it is a good earbud for a fair price, so I'm happy. Here are some photos:

IMG_20170806_121822.jpg
IMG_20170806_121945.jpg

Anyone planning on opening these should try to be extra careful. The rear half of the driver assembly on mine easily pulls right out of the front cover, and the membrane half of the driver stays put so breaking a voicecoil wire would be really easy.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #549 of 4,707
Oh, finally the mysterious "graphene" driver... Thanks to @slappypete , mystery no more, I am sure you are the first one to open a pair and post pictures. I am looking forward to a comparison between them and TY Hi-Z 150s, these 2 seem to be some of the better value propositions currently, although similarities end there.
I though NiceHCK was gonna be the only provider of these DIY graphene buds, but there are so many currently, I think only differences are cables/jack/casing color combinations and a few $ more or less (not sure about this, there could be a sound difference, need a stronger confirmation)

EDIT: Take this last sentence with a serious grain of salt, here is a picture from AK Audio Store where you can clearly see metal front cover, although rest of the pictures are regular plastic, this could've been a slip of unfinished product. I am almost 100% sure that these use the same graphene driver as the rest of these builds, just a very yellow shell xD, but also a different front cover. Also, this.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #550 of 4,707
Oh, finally the mysterious "graphene" driver... Thanks to @slappypete , mystery no more, I am sure you are the first one to open a pair and post pictures. I am looking forward to a comparison between them and TY Hi-Z 150s, these 2 seem to be some of the better value propositions currently, although similarities end there.
I though NiceHCK was gonna be the only provider of these DIY graphene buds, but there are so many currently, I think only differences are cables/jack/casing color combinations and a few $ more or less (not sure about this, there could be a sound difference, need a stronger confirmation)

EDIT: Take this last sentence with a serious grain of salt, here is a picture from AK Audio Store where you can clearly see metal front cover, although rest of the pictures are regular plastic, this could've been a slip of unfinished product.

I am curious about the other Aliexpress listings as well. I like the look of this build in clear color better than the NiceHCK, but they have some weird tiny looking driver in some of the photos. Not sure what that is about lol.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #551 of 4,707
I am curious about the other Aliexpress listings as well. I like the look of this build in clear color better than the NiceHCK, but they have some weird tiny looking driver in some of the photos. Not sure what that is about lol.
Those drivers are there for the "artistic touch", lmao XD (I guess, you never know)

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #554 of 4,707
I open the Pioneer SE-CE521-K to take a look inside and found a very small 24 ohm SMD resistor in PCB on the back of each driver.
Forgot to put a arrow to show were it is, it's almost pinhead size, the SMD is the black rectangle on the green PCB, soldered near the red wire.
The are also 4 small vent holes on top near the PCB.
At the jack the drivers measure 58.6 ohms each.
At the driver (including the resistor) measures 56.8 Ohm, so the cable measures 1.8 ohm.
The SMD resistor measures 24 ohms and the driver without resistor measures 32.8 ohm.
IMG_20170808_213252.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #555 of 4,707
**** PT15 membrane
So I just took the Drivers and covers off of my old PT15 Senfers (really trebly older ones), took the tuning foam off, replaced it with some earbud foam material, then superglued the edges of that to some Monk+ shells and used the Monk + cord. Sounds great. Those drivers are actually really good and resolving. Lack of bass, apparently is with the design or tuning of the PT15 **** shell or tuning foam. In the Monk shells, they sound very well rounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back