DIY Earbuds
Aug 9, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #556 of 4,707
So I just took the Drivers and covers off of my old PT15 Senfers (really trebly older ones), took the tuning foam off, replaced it with some earbud foam material, then superglued the edges of that to some Monk+ shells and used the Monk + cord. Sounds great. Those drivers are actually really good and resolving. Lack of bass, apparently is with the design or tuning of the PT15 **** shell or tuning foam. In the Monk shells, they sound very well rounded.
Agreed

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #558 of 4,707
Hey, has someone with the two versions of Vido (mic and no-mic) spotted differences in the vido's drivers? I was reading the fb page today and apparently the Mic/No-mic version has a slightly different configuration. But I didn't understand exactly what are those differences.

8K2yDzL.jpg

WGdelMq.jpg

FR
Lt5OaQY.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #559 of 4,707
Hey, has someone with the two versions of Vido (mic and no-mic) spotted differences in the vido's drivers? I was reading the fb page today and apparently the Mic/No-mic version has a slightly different configuration. But I didn't understand exactly what are those differences.

The "mic". The only difference is the mic. This is what change the sound (maybe by changing impedance of cable?)...

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #560 of 4,707

I just opened a non mic Vido to compare. The drivers and tuning configuration are the same. I suspect any changes in FR are due to driver variation. My white Vido has one treblier driver than the other. I mentioned it in past posts. I do think the driver with more treble is better, and having two matched drivers with that response would be the ideal Vido IMO. My white Vido is recabled and measurements didn't change from the recable job. BTW for anyone thinking of recabling, the blue non mic'd Vido I just opened was extremely easy to open, I just used my fingers. The white Vido was very difficult by comparison. Here is a photo of the two Vido's tuning config and drivers:
IMG_20170810_142234.jpg

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #561 of 4,707
I just opened a non mic Vido to compare. The drivers and tuning configuration are the same. I suspect any changes in FR are due to driver variation. My white Vido has one treblier driver than the other. I mentioned it in past posts. I do think the driver with more treble is better, and having two matched drivers with that response would be the ideal Vido IMO. My white Vido is recabled and measurements didn't change from the recable job. BTW for anyone thinking of recabling, the blue non mic'd Vido I just opened was extremely easy to open, I just used my fingers. The white Vido was very difficult by comparison. Here is a photo of the two Vido's tuning config and drivers:

Thank you, slappypete! So the variation is a real thing. I should've bought more pairs :frowning2:. So now do you have a pair with the FR matched? I'd imagine this improve the stereo accuracy.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #563 of 4,707
I went ahead and placed an order for the Yuming Store "Tuning Cotton" (Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5, & Y6), and I'll know in a couple of weeks, whether Anna understood my request for the multiple thicknesses... :ksc75smile:

Most of the order has arrived - I received 1 lot of each of Y2 - Y6, but no Y1.
I guess I'll have to contact the store, and see if they have the Y1, and whether they can ship it, or refund my $9, if it's not available.

I used a couple of the Y2 (thin) Tuning Cottons on a set of earbuds I finished assembling this evening.
They're made with this "16mm DIY Subwoofer Speaker" [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16m...y-earphone-headphone-headset/32760189047.html ], mounted in the modified MX500 shells, and including some of the Acoustic Insulation in the cavity behind the drivers.
With a short listening session, I think that the drivers I used in the previous earbuds, the "15.4mm Bass Driver" [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-4mm-speaker-unit-earphone-driver-bass-vocal/32477644538.html ], actually has better low Bass response.

For those who have done some experimenting - if you use thicker Tuning Cotton, do you generally get increased or reduced low Bass response?

DSC-170810-235634.jpg

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #564 of 4,707
A guy did experiment with tuning foam. In short: the denser the foam the brighter it will be.

Wondering what level of sq do you have with this? Does it sound any good? At what range would you compare it with?

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #565 of 4,707
Most of the order has arrived - I received 1 lot of each of Y2 - Y6, but no Y1.
For those who have done some experimenting - if you use thicker Tuning Cotton, do you generally get increased or reduced low Bass response?

Nice job on your earbuds, they look awesome.

I don't think there are too many rules of thumb here. I think results are very much driver dependent, and what works well for one driver won't for another. For example, the DIY Graphene uses tuning foam glued to the rear shell ports, and tuning cotton applied to the rear of the driver for its tuning configuration. This works really well for this earbud, and bass extension and quantity is quite good IMO, but this same tuning configuration when used on the EB200 yields significantly different results. There is a mid bass bump and upper mids peak on the EB200. I also used this tuning configuration for a Monk+ mod in the past and it looked decent in graphs, but the bass response was very poor in practice. I should mention though that even though all three of these earbuds used the same style of tuning configuration, I can't say if the densities of foam/paper were the same in all.

I haven't compared the different thicknesses of tuning cotton that you have, since I don't have them, but I have experimented using more than one layer of tuning cotton, which I imagine would be somewhat similar. I've done this on a few earbuds, but here is a graph showing the difference between one and two pieces of tuning cotton on a Monk+:

monk+1layer-tuning-cotton-vs-2-layer.jpg

In this case the difference wasn't that big, which isn't to say it couldn't be on other drivers. Unfortunately I don't have the measurements with 3 or 4 layers used. I run out of open measurement slots in REW all the time when modding so I delete things as I go. I can tell you though, that eventually you get to a point where too much dampening is used, regardless of the type of dampening, and at that point the mid range becomes flattened in the graphs, and a big peak will form in the upper mids (usually around 2k on my graphs). The graphs will look like the bass extension is still ok, but in practice it will not be good at all, and the earbud will sound harsh. IMO each driver is different in terms of where this over-dampening point will be. Here is another graph of the Monk+ showing stock tuning foam configuration vs two layers of tuning foam (2nd layer of foam just resting on the first, not glued):

monk+-stock-vs-2-layer-foam.jpg

You mentioned in your post that you have acoustic insulation in the cavity behind the drivers... If you haven't already, you might want to try listening to the earbuds without this extra stuffing to see if it is over-dampening similar to the last graph.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #566 of 4,707
Thanks for your insights & suggestions.
I'll probably spend some time this weekend, trying some different tuning ideas.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #568 of 4,707
I'll tell you, the more I bust open the lesser expensive earbuds, the more I can apprecaite the Monk+. It's well constructed and has a great cord. In fact, I put a Monk+ cord on a pair of Edifier H180 and it sounds fantastic. What a difference, and I already liked the Edifier as is. What a great combo, huge soundstage, big luscious bass and clarity in the mids. A real winning synergy.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #570 of 4,707
It seems that the DIY Graphene actually uses a Beyerdynamic DP100 shell, not mx760 like the description says. When searching google for Sennheiser mx760's you will see that the mx760 shells actually look like these. When comparing google image results, the front cover for both the DP100 and mx760 looks identical in design. The rear shell port design is completely different though. I have a feeling that mx760 driver units might just snap on to the DP100 rear shell as if they were made for each other. If that is true, it might explain the mx760 term being used in listings for DP100 shells.

I couldn't find DP100 shells on Aliexpress, but did find a cheap assembled DP100. I found listings for DP100 shells on TaoBao here and here. I also found this other site selling them. It seems to be the same listing photos as the TaoBao link, but the site offers worldwide shipping at checkout. So does TaoBao, but TaoBao can be complicated if you have never used it before. This site might be easier, but I make no guarantees since I have never even heard of it until today.
I look up to the taobao site. They say for black DP100 shell is sold without the front cover meanwhile transparent DP100 shell is sold with the white front cover. Do you know any further website that sell the black front cover or any DP100-compatible front cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back