DIY Earbuds
Oct 1, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #589 of 4,720
does anyone has a detail picture of the original shell of MX500 ?
I wonder what's the hole next/sides to the cable at the back for ?

I don't see it through the chamber of the driver on my fake mx500 shell.

I wonder if it's function like "horn" for single driver home speaker ?

since I don't have original MX500 and never seen it, can some one can show me that hole photo?
or it's just a cosmetic ?

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #590 of 4,720
does anyone has a detail picture of the original shell of MX500 ?
I wonder what's the hole next/sides to the cable at the back for ?

I don't see it through the chamber of the driver on my fake mx500 shell.

I wonder if it's function like "horn" for single driver home speaker ?

since I don't have original MX500 and never seen it, can some one can show me that hole photo?
or it's just a cosmetic ?

For some earbuds that I assembled in MX500 shells, I used a small drill bit (turned by hand) and a dental pick, to open up the air channel into the back chamber.
The clamp that's shown, was only used for holding the bit at the correct angle for the photo.
DSC-170726-004047.jpg

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #592 of 4,720
I just cannot get a good solder on a 2.5mm TRRS plug!! I've burned up two of them already. Any one have any good soldering methodology to help out? Those plugs are just too tiny and don't have a great surface to adhere to. I wish they made those bigger.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #594 of 4,720
does it sound better after you drill ?
is the original mx500 like that ?

I haven't assembled any earbuds in the AliExpress MX500 shells, without opening the air channel.
I've only been buying earbuds for less than a year, and have never seen an original MX500.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #595 of 4,720
I just cannot get a good solder on a 2.5mm TRRS plug!! I've burned up two of them already. Any one have any good soldering methodology to help out? Those plugs are just too tiny and don't have a great surface to adhere to. I wish they made those bigger.

I struggled for a long time and found some connectors were just too small / plastic to heat without damaging.

I found a few solutions...

1) use a decent separate flux and high quality audio specific solder

2) buy some 2.5mm female sockets and plug the connectors in; you can solder all the pins on the female to a long length of thick guage wire and it works like a heatsink.

I still mess up connectors sometimes but the above gives me a fighting chance! Dual 3.5mm for my pono is much easier to achieve!

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #596 of 4,720

I'm using an old XYTronic Auto-Temp 168-3C adjustable temperature solder station, that I bought back in the early- or mid-1980s.
It has a fairly small tip, but not as small as I'd like - since electronics are a lot smaller now, than they were in the '80s. :wink:

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #597 of 4,720
I struggled for a long time and found some connectors were just too small / plastic to heat without damaging.

I found a few solutions...

1) use a decent separate flux and high quality audio specific solder

2) buy some 2.5mm female sockets and plug the connectors in; you can solder all the pins on the female to a long length of thick guage wire and it works like a heatsink.

I still mess up connectors sometimes but the above gives me a fighting chance! Dual 3.5mm for my pono is much easier to achieve!
Thanks, I will try that. I have a Pono too! Yes, much easier to make a cable for that, I agree! :wink:

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #598 of 4,720
Thanks, I will try that. I have a Pono too! Yes, much easier to make a cable for that, I agree! :wink:

No problem, they can be a real pain!

Something else that helps me (but others may recommend against) is using a very high temperature but very short 'contact' with the pins/pads.

Depending on the way the connector is shielded, this may work brilliantly or may leave you with a molten plastic mess!

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #599 of 4,720
No problem, they can be a real pain!

Something else that helps me (but others may recommend against) is using a very high temperature but very short 'contact' with the pins/pads.

Depending on the way the connector is shielded, this may work brilliantly or may leave you with a molten plastic mess!
imo better keep low temperatures... high temperature may damage your soldering iron end (150Celcius is enough to melt the thin, higher than that... not good afaik). Better use a third hand, specific pliers, with a magnifier and a light helps a lot.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #600 of 4,720
imo better keep low temperatures... high temperature may damage your soldering iron end (150Celcius is enough to melt the thin, higher than that... not good afaik). Better use a third hand, specific pliers, with a magnifier and a light helps a lot.
why is it so difficult to diy an earbud?
is it a tool or skill issue?
from what I read, mostly it's due to "burning" the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back