DIY Earbuds
Jan 11, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #616 of 4,707
Hi, I'm not sure if this this the right topic to post this but I was wondering if anyone here would be up for the challenge of fixing my Sony left xba Z5 as I've damaged the mmcx connector attached to the earpiece and Sony has discontinued it. Please pm me if you're willing to try.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #617 of 4,707
Hi, I'm also having some language issues with them.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Y2Y...eaker-unit-complex-for-mx500/32809374899.html

I asked if they would send me 6pcs Y1 + 6pcs Y2 + 6pcs Y3 + 2pcs Y4, for a total of 20 pieces, 1 lot.
Could you please confirm if the advertised "20 pieces/lot" are 10 pairs of tuning cotton?

Maybe I need to make it simple and ask only 2 thickness, for example 10 pcs of Y1 and 10 pcs of Y2.
What thickness do you recommend?

TIA

When I placed my order, I asked for 6 lots, 1 each of Y1 - Y6, but I only received 5 lots (Y2 - Y6).
So, I inquired about whether they could send the Y1, or a refund for the one lot.
Back on 11-AUG-17, they replied, saying that they were going to ship the Y1.
I never did receive the lot of Y1 from Yuming Store, or a refund.

One thing to NOTE: If you look at the title of the web link, you'll see it only lists Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5, & Y6.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #618 of 4,707

I've finished the Red & Blue sets of Earbuds that a co-worker is buying for her sons. I'm including small cases, and some full & donut foams.

These were assembled with the "Bass" drivers, in the modified MX500 shells, using the foam "Tuning Cotton" (haven't yet received the white fabric tuning cotton), along with a bit of long-fiber acoustic stuffing in the housings.

Using the frequency sweeps on AudioCheck.net, they have good Bass (starting at 20Hz), and fairly smooth response up to where my hearing drops off (13 - 14KHz).
Where did you get the red and blue wires forming the cables? They look pretty neat.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #619 of 4,707
Feb 13, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #623 of 4,707
What are the most neutral drivers you guys have had experience with using in DIY buds for MX500 or PK1 type shells? Anything noteworthy of comparison with any high end buds? I'm slowly building up a spreadsheet of DIY parts I've found on AliExpress and many I've found through this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #624 of 4,707
I had an interesting idea yesterday, probably a terrible one, but I'm willing to try it because I like to tinker... I think it would be interesting to make a somewhat modular bud. So my idea would be to solder the wires of the cable into a male connector (possibly Micro JST 1.25mm 2-Pin if it fits) inside the shell, and then solder some drivers with the female connector with maybe little length of litz wire or other wire of choice so that theoretically one could fairly easily swap out the drivers on say a pair of MX500 shells while retaining the same cable and shell. Could I be onto something or have the solder fumes gotten to me?

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #625 of 4,707
I had an interesting idea yesterday, probably a terrible one, but I'm willing to try it because I like to tinker... I think it would be interesting to make a somewhat modular bud. So my idea would be to solder the wires of the cable into a male connector (possibly Micro JST 1.25mm 2-Pin if it fits) inside the shell, and then solder some drivers with the female connector with maybe little length of litz wire or other wire of choice so that theoretically one could fairly easily swap out the drivers on say a pair of MX500 shells while retaining the same cable and shell. Could I be onto something or have the solder fumes gotten to me?

It could work buy I don't see a practical use for it. MX shells actually have different foams on the vent holes and just swapping drivers might not be optimal as it would change the tuning. There would also be and issue of slowly wearing out the plastic parts after many driver removals and it's questionable whether you could fit the connectors inside the shells. Also, you can get Vidos for around 2$ on Ali - might be more worth it just making as many pairs as you'd need using these shells.
This is just an opinion, perhaps I am completely wrong and anyone is welcome to correct me in that case.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #626 of 4,707
It could work buy I don't see a practical use for it. MX shells actually have different foams on the vent holes and just swapping drivers might not be optimal as it would change the tuning. There would also be and issue of slowly wearing out the plastic parts after many driver removals and it's questionable whether you could fit the connectors inside the shells. Also, you can get Vidos for around 2$ on Ali - might be more worth it just making as many pairs as you'd need using these shells.
This is just an opinion, perhaps I am completely wrong and anyone is welcome to correct me in that case.
No I think you are correct. Particularly with how cheap the MX shells are, it would be easier to just make more buds.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #627 of 4,707
What are the most neutral drivers you guys have had experience with using in DIY buds for MX500 or PK1 type shells? Anything noteworthy of comparison with any high end buds? I'm slowly building up a spreadsheet of DIY parts I've found on AliExpress and many I've found through this thread.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14-...32497407437.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.TZ8tbW
These drivers are very decent. They will fit in an MX500 shell if you remove the drivers from their housing. They will not fit in a PK shell as they are a bit fat for those. I just superglued them to the top of an MX shell (with the tuning foams still in them) for testing and they have sounded so decent that I just left them that way. I actually ordered another pair to try to "fine" tune them to make them even better if I can. They sent me 3 drivers instead of 2, so I know that they can be removed from their shell (I had to destroy the original shell) and be placed inside an MX driver housing and fitted back on to the MX unit. These are clear sounding, warm and upfront, and have good bass. Organic sounding. Good all rounder.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #628 of 4,707
Has anyone tried the Aiyima 16ohm drivers? They cost approx. $8 for 10 pairs on AE, totally blown away for the price, lovely high end extension and bass is present.
Assembled a pair of earbuds with these a while back. They're the closest earbuds to an iem that i have tried so far. Rumbling sub-bass, punchy mid bass and nice, warm mids. It also comes with a pretty lousy soundstage, with meh seperation and basically no depth.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #629 of 4,707
Assembled a pair of earbuds with these a while back. They're the closest earbuds to an iem that i have tried so far. Rumbling sub-bass, punchy mid bass and nice, warm mids. It also comes with a pretty lousy soundstage, with meh seperation and basically no depth.
For that price though, I think the Aiyima drivers will be a good set for basic projects and experimenting to with tuning and such, since there are so many for that cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back