DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #9,391 of 10,535
When making my last successful 4 core Neotech UP OCC Copper cable I twisted them first in pairs of two, then twisted the 2 pairs up to the y split point. I did this using a drill as suggested by another wise HeadFier. I then put them inside one paracord (i.e.; didn't put paracord over each wire then braid - just one sleeve).

I don't think it is a big deal - but my twisted pairs of cable didn't seem to want to stay twisted. Any thoughts on how to keep them nicely twisted together ? I ask because this weekend I am going to do another but using silver and I would like it to be as perfect as I can get it.

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #9,393 of 10,535
You could try a small piece of heatshrink at each end but if you just use a 4 straid round braid you will have better luck its really easy)

Just secure in a vice rather than tying together.

I’ve recently just started soldering my four wires into the amp plug, plugging that into a jack of the appropriate size (when the amp’s not on), and just braiding outward from the amp. It’s easier for me, anyway, because unlike clamping in a vise, you can get them into a more-or-less circular arrangement, which makes it easier for me to keep track of what’s going on. It’s also easier to solder a single wire into place without having to worry about where the rest of the braid should go while I work.

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #9,394 of 10,535
When making my last successful 4 core Neotech UP OCC Copper cable I twisted them first in pairs of two, then twisted the 2 pairs up to the y split point. I did this using a drill as suggested by another wise HeadFier. I then put them inside one paracord (i.e.; didn't put paracord over each wire then braid - just one sleeve).

I don't think it is a big deal - but my twisted pairs of cable didn't seem to want to stay twisted. Any thoughts on how to keep them nicely twisted together ? I ask because this weekend I am going to do another but using silver and I would like it to be as perfect as I can get it.

a video posted by another member in the gallery thread that I bookmarked may help:

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #9,396 of 10,535
I'm looking for clear jacket copper wire for IEM cables.

Is the 22 Awg OCC Copper from Norne very flexible for wrapping around an ear?
How does it compare to the Cosmic Cable copper wire or Forza copper wire?

Any other recommendations. Would rather not play the eBay game for wire, though if someone has a recommended seller it would be appreciated. I'm in the US as well.
Link to Norne:
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...em-iem-full-size-aftermarket-up-7-n-6-upgrade

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #9,397 of 10,535
Can't speak for the Forza wire but I have bought from cosmic cables and Norne and all the wire is superb quality and very soft and flexible if you are in the US then
give Trevor at Norne a go he is a really decent chap and the wire will be fine to wrap around the ear, it's not litz but that's a bonus if you don't own a solder pot.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #9,398 of 10,535
Can't speak for the Forza wire but I have bought from cosmic cables and Norne and all the wire is superb quality and very soft and flexible if you are in the US then
give Trevor at Norne a go he is a really decent chap and the wire will be fine to wrap around the ear, it's not litz but that's a bonus if you don't own a solder pot.

I don't own a solder pot, not ready to tackle that yet. Just checked in with Trevor, he comforted me in suggesting no issues around the ear with the 22 AWG wire, though un-tested by Norne.

With the black friday sales (didn't realize at first), this is really cheap per foot if anyone else is looking, $1.32/foot.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #9,399 of 10,535
I'm looking for clear jacket copper wire for IEM cables.

Is the 22 Awg OCC Copper from Norne very flexible for wrapping around an ear?
How does it compare to the Cosmic Cable copper wire or Forza copper wire?

Any other recommendations. Would rather not play the eBay game for wire, though if someone has a recommended seller it would be appreciated. I'm in the US as well.
Link to Norne:
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...em-iem-full-size-aftermarket-up-7-n-6-upgrade

Surgical tubing is cheap and comes in a lot of diameters. It's not the most flexible tubing in the world but at small diameters it might be ok. Probably worth checking some medical supply houses online. For the price you won't lose much.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #9,400 of 10,535
Looking for a little guidance for making my first cable for my hifiman anandas. Im wanting at least 12-15ft length as sometimes Im a little far back from my amp. Will there be any issues with this distance?

Part list so far:
2x https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-e3-5g3-gunmetalblack-carbongold-3-5mm-plug-in-stock/ (why do I need trs 3.5mm going into the cans if its just a 2 pair going in? Im matching the stock cable)
1x https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-6-3mm-rhodium-14-connector/
60ft http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...ket-up-7-n-6-upgrade-spc-silver-plated-copper Is that enough?
1x https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-e-sx125-aluminumcarbon-fiber-y-splitter-3-colors/

Am I on the right track, what solder is recommended for the connectors? Will I need any heatshrink? Also who is everyone using for sleeving in the US and what size with that wire, I want to do the cables in silver.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #9,401 of 10,535
1/ you don't ts mono is fine
2/ yes that's enough for a 4 strand cable 4x 15 ft, that is one hell of a long cable and personally if I needed a cable that long I would use a shielded wire.

You can use paracord but good luck getting that soft wire through a 15ft length and you would never get the paracorded wire through the two holes in the
splitter. That wire is a silver colour anyway so you should just use a four strand braid with bare wire anyway. If its your fist time perhaps get a piece of
microphone wire and do a dummy run first, good luck old chap

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #9,402 of 10,535
1/ you don't ts mono is fine
2/ yes that's enough for a 4 strand cable 4x 15 ft, that is one hell of a long cable and personally if I needed a cable that long I would use a shielded wire.

You can use paracord but good luck getting that soft wire through a 15ft length and you would never get the paracorded wire through the two holes in the
splitter. That wire is a silver colour anyway so you should just use a four strand braid with bare wire anyway. If its your fist time perhaps get a piece of
microphone wire and do a dummy run first, good luck old chap
Yup, TS mono is just fine and is what I did for my balanced Ananda cable (positive to the tip and ground to the sleeve). As for paracord, @Ironcobra80 can try 550 for individual cables (braided) or post Y-split cable pairs. If one just wants to sleeve the stock twisted cable (outer rubber jacket removed), then maybe 750 paracord. For mini-quads like the Mogami W2893, 550 paracord can work with the stock twisted cable (without the outer jacket), but it will be slightly stiff.

But yeah, sleeving twisted wire was the most tedious part of making my cable.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #9,403 of 10,535
Yup, TS mono is just fine and is what I did for my balanced Ananda cable (positive to the tip and ground to the sleeve). As for paracord, @Ironcobra80 can try 550 for individual cables (braided) or post Y-split cable pairs. If one just wants to sleeve the stock twisted cable (outer rubber jacket removed), then maybe 750 paracord. For mini-quads like the Mogami W2893, 550 paracord can work with the stock twisted cable (without the outer jacket), but it will be slightly stiff.

But yeah, sleeving twisted wire was the most tedious part of making my cable.
Thanks for the confirmation on the mono, Im not very clear on the braiding. I was going to sleeve each conductor separately then braid the sleeved cable, are you saying this is impossible at this length? Also the y connectors Im looking at wont work for this configuration? Thanks for the info.

As for the length, I am a couch gamer and my pc can be a good 10 ft away. The stock ananda cable has already stop working in 1 month with zero visible damage, what a pos that thing is. Im having trouble finding mono 3.5mm eidolic connectors anyway so ill probably just stick to the trs.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #9,404 of 10,535
Thanks for the confirmation on the mono, Im not very clear on the braiding. I was going to sleeve each conductor separately then braid the sleeved cable, are you saying this is impossible at this length? Also the y connectors Im looking at wont work for this configuration? Thanks for the info.
Braiding should be fine AFAIK at that length, but I think the other poster advised that you should look for cable with shielding if you are going to make a cable that long (nearing the recommended max length for unbalanced cable runs: http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/). I'm not too familiar with splitters because I'm cheap and use heatshrink instead since it has less chance of getting caught on some edge.

*Just my opinion

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #9,405 of 10,535
Braiding should be fine AFAIK at that length, but I think the other poster advised that you should look for cable with shielding if you are going to make a cable that long (nearing the recommended max length for unbalanced cable runs: http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/). I'm not too familiar with splitters because I'm cheap and use heatshrink instead since it has less chance of getting caught on some edge.

*Just my opinion
Is there a shielded cable thats recommended?
https://www.redco.com/Canare-Quad-Microphone-Cable/
http://www.cardas.com/chassis_wire.php

Im guessing with shielded wire it wont be braided until after the y connector if I go the shielded route.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back