Differences between Denons (D2000, D5000, D7000)
May 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #61 of 99

A 10% stronger magnet, glossy finish with inlaid logo (both expensive to produce - for glossy you need a dust-free environment and metal introduces another factory in the supply chain), and MUCH fancier packaging are what separates the D5000 from the D7000. I'd rather wait for the D9000.

You mean TH900. :wink:

May 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #62 of 99
Quote:
Price cuts that have already made the selling price for the D5000 drop to the $400 range for some deals mentioned in the deals thread.  
That is what I call a deal!

400$ seems like a bargain! Here in germany the D5000 sells for around 599€ (Amazon) up to 799€ (~ 785$ - 1048$) , which is kind of ridiculous in comparison. For roughly 300€ I would be tempted to try these cups, even with my small budget as a student =D.

May 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #63 of 99
I do wonder if we will see a new Denon headphone, I'm thinking of purchasing a D7000, but if a D9000 is around the corner I'd rather wait.

May 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #64 of 99
I do wonder if we will see a new Denon headphone, I'm thinking of purchasing a D7000, but if a D9000 is around the corner I'd rather wait.

Dude no offence but which rock do live under? Denon is no longer partnering with fostex, the d2k, d5k and d7k have been discontinued. Get them while you can, look at the d7100 thread, it's successor is disgusting

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

May 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #65 of 99
Quote:
Dude no offence but which rock do live under? Denon is no longer partnering with fostex, the d2k, d5k and d7k have been discontinued. Get them while you can, look at the d7100 thread, it's successor is disgusting

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100

Yeah, its pretty ugly, the sound better make up for how it looks. 
What were they thinking???!!

May 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #66 of 99

I remember seeing these headphones now, I guess they were so ugly I just forgot about them :p

May 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #68 of 99
May 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #69 of 99
Quote:
are there recommended modifications for the denon d5000 ?

http://www.head-fi.org/a/markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods

Thx m8 maybe i will do this. I noticed the burn in after modification. What about the people who burned in already their denons? Do we need new denons to burn the driver with it new assemblies in?

Another question. Level 1 Mod Package For Your Denon on Lawton Tuning includes Mark Mod + Angle Pads. Is that the right mod kit ? Can i safely order it ? im from germany !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

May 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #70 of 99

Dude no offence but which rock do live under? Denon is no longer partnering with fostex, the d2k, d5k and d7k have been discontinued. Get them while you can, look at the d7100 thread, it's successor is disgusting...

I'd be right chuffed to be living under this rock.

May 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #71 of 99
I haven't yet heard a pair of Denons.
But I just ordered a pair of D2000's with D7000 wooden cups.
Its also been Markl modded... we'll see what they sound like =)

~Robert

May 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #72 of 99
On another note, anyone know where to get the D7000 for a good price & authorized dealer? Im in Canada but alot of US websites ship to Canada. I've heard of people getting them for as low as $650.

May 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #73 of 99
The lowest prices are coming out of Electronics Expo - however I understand they won't ship to Canada -> no doubt thanks to UPS/Fedex's criminally high brokerage fees and the inevitable high number of people refusing to accept delivery. There are a few places like BHPhoto who have them and will sell for significantly less than the advertised $999 price tag if you actually call someone on the phone. However I don't think anyone else is price matching EE's current "open box" price. Sourcing Denons in Canada - from Canadian dealers - isn't cheap .... or easy. I think the best bet is buying on the forum truthfully.

May 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #74 of 99
Reporting back with my D2000 / D7000 comparison results.

Equipment:
Oppo BDP-83 > Objective2
Logitech Squeezebox Touch > Objective2

Music samples:

Redbook CD:
Diana Krall "The Look of Love"
Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
Gustav Holst "The Planets" (Dutoit - Montreal Symphony Orchestra)

BluRay:
Legends of Jazz: Showcase - Ivan Lins "The Island"

SACD:
Bucky Pizzarelli "Swing Live"

DVD-A:
Dishwalla "Opaline"

16/44 FLAC:
Paul Simon "Graceland"
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"
Supertramp "Crime of the Century"
Hugh Masekela "Hope"

I listened to the D2000 and D7000 back-to-back in a sighted listening comparison first, then switched to blind testing.

Under sighted conditions, I was able to identify clear differences between them in a relatively short time. When I say "clear differences," that is in the context of being an audiophile - a casual listener might not notice the differences between them without someone pointing them out. My findings?

Bass is definitely stronger on the D2000 - it hits harder and blooms bigger. Some people might be attracted to this with some genres of music, but to me, the bass bleeds into the mids a bit and places a thin haze in front of the overall sound of the D2000. Mids and Treble on the D2000 reproduce the same frequencies as the D7000 (in other words, no details are missing), but the mids and highs seem like they are slightly recessed to me compared to the D7000. To be cliche, the D2000's sound like they have a "veil" in front of them while the D7000's are clearer and cleaner sounding. Bass on the D7000 doesn't hit as hard, but it is better controlled and more even with the rest of the frequency band (although if I'm honest, the D7000's are on the bloated side too). Listening to the D7000's, every voice and instrument sounds like it is in sharper focus in comparison to the D2000, where images are slightly softer. If it were a TV image, the D7000 would be 1080p BluRay and the D2000's would be an upconverted DVD - very good, but not quite as sharp.

The more I listened, the more I suspected that the D2000's bass was the cause for all of the other characteristics. I didn't hear any details missing from the D2000's, it's just that they were a little softer and further away. It was subtle though. Again, a casual listener might not notice any of these differences.

Once I felt I had a good grasp on the differences between them, we switched to blind testing. There's not much to tell though - I was able to identify the D2000's and D7000's every time.

As to whether the D7000's are worth paying 3X the price of the D2000's...well, that's up to the individual. If you're a starving student and want a pair of Denons, the D2000's certainly deliver 90% of the sound quality of the D7000's, and if you never listen to the D7000, you won't know what you're missing. On the other hand, if you can comfortably afford them, the D7000's are easily worth the price of admission in my opinion. After conducting this comparison, I know that I personally would not be happy with the D2000 after owning the D7000.

May 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #75 of 99
Thanks palmfish.
Looks like I made good choice going with the D7000 during the E.E. sale. I have been wondering every since if it was a smart move, especially considering they were cheaper than the D5000 suggested retail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back