Detox Beats by Dre
Jul 21, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 23
Erm, you've been a member here for 9 months, you should know the answer. :wink:

Now, I don't really mind the Pro's-they're a definitive step up compared to the Studios considering the general sound sig Monster goes for, but $150 extra for a painted pair of Pros is downright robbery, disregarding sound.

For $600, he could go pretty far in this hobby, such as any given upper mid-fi headphone (Sony Z1000, Ultrasone Pro900, AT ES10, used Denon D7000 maybe?) and maybe an amp.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
Erm, you've been a member here for 9 months, you should know the answer.
wink.gif

Now, I don't really mind the Pro's-they're a definitive step up compared to the Studios considering the general sound sig Monster goes for, but $150 extra for a painted pair of Pros is downright robbery, disregarding sound.

For $600, he could go pretty far in this hobby, such as any given upper mid-fi headphone (Sony Z1000, Ultrasone Pro900, AT ES10, used Denon D7000 maybe?) and maybe an amp.

I know, I do. (I was actually gone for 5-7 of those months after I got the ATH-M50s.) I'm afraid of this guy though, he seems to be such a stickler for Dr. Dre audio equipment. And, perhaps due to my long absence, I have no persuasive or non-offensive points to give him to make him reconsider and I've read perhaps hundreds of posts on here. He said he has a homemade studio "2 turntables, a mixer, a laptop and computer, an MPC 2500, and speakers" and "the speakers might not bring out the full potential so i might have to save up for these" http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5772

He's interested in rap, hip-hop, instrumental music (Nujabes, anyone?); he frequents a thread in a forum we both "member" to - Official Hip-Hop/Rap Thread - where people share and discuss music and artists, getting to know the latest releases, and talks good -stuff- on the music industry. Definitely not a huge fan of superficiality. Top five favorite rap/hip-hop artists, if it helps:

1. Styles P
2. Nas
3. T.I
4. Jae Millz
5. Jadakiss

Identify whether or not his preference fits with the headphones, what qualities of the headphones fit well with his style, where and what other headphones could do better. Also, side opinions on the speaker? I know Dr. Dre makes good stuff for his genre \:

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 23
Don't DO EEET!!!!!!!!! They do look super nice but there's SOOOOO many Better options for the same price!! Okay, well the Beats Pro's are OKAY but anything else in the beats line or made by monster*excluding the turbines and miles Davis* are pretty much fit for the trash can. Look into the Ultrasone HFI-580's as they have a much better sound than the beats, about the same amount of bass but it's much less muddy and more refined, The Ultrasones have a midrange not the best but the beats make the HFI-580's midrange sound like the AKG K601's*where 95% if all vocals, interments, and all around sound occurs*  The high end on the HFI-580 is also MUCH MUCH MUCH!!! I cannot stress how much more tame it is than the beats, the beats sounded like some one had a angry cat sitting in my ears ever time a hat drum was player, way to harsh ans way to squeely. The ultrasones are still bright and a bit on the harsh end but it gives them an energetic sound great for rap, techno, and some forms of rock. Another option is the Denon D2000, a bit more but a great deal. They share a similar sound of the ultrasones but instead of being bright they sound like it's darker cousin and are very very comfortable. A large difference between the Ultrasones and the Denon's is that the Ultrasones block outgoing noise and incoming noise better than the beats*even if they did have noise canceling* and the Denon leak sound like a sieve. Another favorite of mine is the XB700's my first headphone over $15. The bass on these beasts makes car sub woofers green with jealousy, the mid range is nice, dark, and moist, the high end prevailed through the darkness but is as smooth as silk, Quite honestly I regret selling them to get the HFI-580's. For $80-90 on amazon get these and something like the NuForce uDAC/uDAC2*uDAC2 if your splurging* or even a Fiio E7+E9. The E7 is a portable amp and when plugged in through the E9 a home or desk amp it turns into a DAC or external sound card and a pretty good one at that.

Quick run down, an AMP supplies more power to the headphone, this does make it go louder, but it also gives it more detail, the louder it gos the more id distorts right? but with am amp you can hear detail at a quieter volume with little to no distortion due to volume rather than unamped. A DAC*digital to analog converter* takes a digital signal from our computer or any source and turns it into an analog signal the amp can play and loses less in the translation giving you a better quality music.

I suggest you try these Headphones. at your local audio store or Guitar center or if you live in Portland or near Portland like me try to go to 32ohmaudio they have everything I have listen on here to try.
Ultrasone HFI-580
Denon D2000
BeyerDynamic DT770*great bass but not much else IMO* DT880*all around great but to rich for my blood at the time* DT990*great bass but the highs were not my cup of tea* DT440*DELICIOUS*
Audio Technica M50*I thought they were MEH but they are a flavor of the year headphone on here*
SonyXB500*MEGA LUNG CRUSHING BASS* or the XB700 my first true love*Lung popping bass and a creamy warm midrange with a gigantic sound stage*

OH also if you get one of the Beyerdynamics or even the XB700's I urge you to look into a small amp, nothing fancy*especially if your on the go a lot with them* but the DT series is a little do demanding for an Ipod but it will still get the job done, and the XB700's turn into a completely different monster amped and it's wonderful.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 23
Ooh, I love Nujabes!

Honestly, for a studio, bass heavy headphones in general are a no-no, which I'm sure you know. His mixes will always end up sounding especially strange with the Pros, since their sound is comprised of unnaturally boosted bass, mids, and treble to the point where the sound is almost "balanced" with a slight bias to bass. The result on most other headphones will probably be a very hollow sound. (I'm not an expert, but I've mastered some songs. Neutral is always best, but speakers are much better to master on than headphones.)

For his wants, the tried and true Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (make sure it's pro and not consumer) works well and ends up being a fourth of the price.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 23
Ultrasone PRO900. Basically what Beats are trying so hard to be sound wise with each of their headphones but fail horrendously. It's like the true audiophile take on the BASSBASSBASS headphone. Please oh please, at least try to convince him to go for these instead. 
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:

I know, I do. (I was actually gone for 5-7 of those months after I got the ATH-M50s.) I'm afraid of this guy though, he seems to be such a stickler for Dr. Dre audio equipment. And, perhaps due to my long absence, I have no persuasive or non-offensive points to give him to make him reconsider and I've read perhaps hundreds of posts on here. He said he has a homemade studio "2 turntables, a mixer, a laptop and computer, an MPC 2500, and speakers" and "the speakers might not bring out the full potential so i might have to save up for these" http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5772

He's interested in rap, hip-hop, instrumental music (Nujabes, anyone?); he frequents a thread in a forum we both "member" to - Official Hip-Hop/Rap Thread - where people share and discuss music and artists, getting to know the latest releases, and talks good -stuff- on the music industry. Definitely not a huge fan of superficiality. Top five favorite rap/hip-hop artists, if it helps:

1. Styles P
2. Nas
3. T.I
4. Jae Millz
5. Jadakiss

Identify whether or not his preference fits with the headphones, what qualities of the headphones fit well with his style, where and what other headphones could do better. Also, side opinions on the speaker? I know Dr. Dre makes good stuff for his genre \:

Nujabes <3 Rest in Beats to one of the best. Check out TOKiMONSTA. I feel she may be his successor. :p

Also, go hard or go home.
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2011/04/1000-for-chrome-beats-by-dre-headphones
Jkjk. Would you pay a stack for a chrome finish. xD

Quote:
Ooh, I love Nujabes!

Honestly, for a studio, bass heavy headphones in general are a no-no, which I'm sure you know. His mixes will always end up sounding especially strange with the Pros, since their sound is comprised of unnaturally boosted bass, mids, and treble to the point where the sound is almost "balanced" with a slight bias to bass. The result on most other headphones will probably be a very hollow sound. (I'm not an expert, but I've mastered some songs. Neutral is always best, but speakers are much better to master on than headphones.)

For his wants, the tried and true Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (make sure it's pro and not consumer) works well and ends up being a fourth of the price.

+1 for Nujabes love and sound advice.

Quote:
Detox?

From what, heavy bass poisoning?

Haha! Uncle Erik always has some witty lines.

In anycase, ask him if he sees real DJs or producers rocking the Beats.
Picture montage?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/415560/post-pics-of-your-favorite-dj-s-musicians-and-their-headphones/75
I haven't spotted beats so far. :p

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 23
Omg.

Do you know how many Chipotle burritos you can buy with 600 bucks?

Tell him to get those instead, I know thats what I would do.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 23
I hardly believe they deserve $600 price tag from head-fiers point of view.
But your friend may have his reasons. If I were you, I would not prevent him.

Quote:
A friend of mine said he was looking at these $600 headphones and saving up for them. I found nothing on the headphones on this site through google search of site:head-fi.org etc. What are your responses on them?

Here's the site: http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B6387&cat=1

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 23
I would have to say WAY overpriced. You could get both XB1000 and Pro 900 for some 620$. Get him to read some reviews like XB1000 vs. Pro 900. But I would have to say
MDR-Z1000 would suit the best for him. Maybe. Dunno for sure. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back