Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
May 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #61 of 903
Quote:
Yea yea I know, the funny thing here is how BeyerDynamic isn't quite known for "fashion"-thing, I mean german and fashion doesn't mix well. It has to be more strict, professional etc, the last manufacturer you'd expect to offer "customizable" shields or any kinds of hippy color options etc. ^^

Embracing the new market the German way: surprise everyone yet still manage to stay true, somehow.

EDIT: In fact, Beyer even did what your head does when you saw the Customs One: exploding.

May 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #62 of 903
Quote:
In person, these don't look like Beats or Soul to me at all--they have their own aesthetic, which is most easily appreciated in person--they're pretty huge too. I don't know that these images will do anything to make them any more appealing to those who don't like what they've seen so far, but in Post #2 of this thread I uploaded several photos I took while I was at Denon's U.S. offices.

I'll also add more info about the rest of Denon's new lines.

From those pics on post #2, these headphones look HUUUUGE!!!!!

Still, I like the color combination (it reminds me of the Senns HD598s!) and I would definitely love to try them. Looks for me come second (and for most of you it should as well, you guys are already ugly, getting pretty headphones wont make it less so!!! hehehe j/k ) ... as long as they sound extremely awesome, I'll bite!

May 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #63 of 903
Quote:

However, entertain me this thought: What if Denon implements a new strategy? 
Suppose they sign on a few select celebrity sponsors (not necessarily media celebrities) to engage potential buyers at zmot/fmot (zero/first moment of truth).
suppose they also begin signing deals with big box retailers (best buy, target, other places where people could audition the cans).
now you've got new customers that have never heard of denon, looking/listening to them in store. they go home, google "denon headphones" and see all the praise we've lauded on them for their sound quality. and BOOM. they have now new customers buying in.

Don't know about the US or other places but HMV in the UK seem to commonly have D2000s, HD 558 and similar entry-level hifi headphones in their demo section alongside the ubiquitous Beats and Skullcandy. Even before I came here I was aware that Denon were a respected audio brand.

May 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #65 of 903
Damn it, I kinda like the look of the D7100 in post #2's pictures.  If they changed the headband construction a bit and made the silver on the cups less prominent they'd be really great.

May 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #66 of 903
Quote:
Damn it, I kinda like the look of the D7100 in post #2's pictures.  If they changed the headband construction a bit and made the silver on the cups less prominent they'd be really great.

Change the cups please.....depending on how they make it, the headband may be able to stay but a complete reconstruction of the body is needed for me not to biasly overlook these headphones.

May 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #67 of 903
These look quite promising. Ill have to check them out.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #68 of 903
Quote:
If the sound on these gets the Head-Fi ok stamp then I will go and take a look. One major cavet with these though.

If I do buy them(won't be)

I WILL NEVER wear them outside the house or show them off to friends. They will be a little secret that only Head-Fi and myself know.

This.

It shouldn't matter, but it does. If I wear these cans, friends who know me will instantly think I've jumped on the Beats bandwagon. I really shouldn't be affected by that, but somehow, I'll feel pretty irked if someone thinks I'm following the crowd.

May 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #69 of 903
Much in the same way many might not want/like the air dam-skirt-valence package on a flagship European saloon, there's now a WIDE open niche for an aftermarket tuner for the Denon flagship, cosmetic only however...

... and that'll get things right! 
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #70 of 903
Quote:

This.

It shouldn't matter, but it does. If I wear these cans, friends who know me will instantly think I've jumped on the Beats bandwagon. I really shouldn't be affected by that, but somehow, I'll feel pretty irked if someone thinks I'm following the crowd.

Yeah, I talk about not letting bias affect you and everything a lot but this is one of those life things that I will have to put the end to. And that is, how some others may perceive me.

I do not want to enforce the:

Q:What headphones should I buy?
A 1: Beats
A2: Those Beats
A 3: Beats Solo's man, they are the best, and if you have more cash, some Pro's

fandom meme that has been going on so I will put a stop to it here. The very "smooth" and glossy nature of the headphones reminds me heavily of Beats "style"(not there,s but they basically own it now) which I really don't want to enforce or make others think that I support them.

Many know that I am into headphones and wearing these will just make them think that their audio friend supports it. No. I'll be as biased and as much of a  "hipster" as I want with these Denon's here and the answer is no to those headphones. Heck I am even debating if I will even DEMO these! I mean, they will be on my head and be a flashy advertisement for others and the store people.

May 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #71 of 903
Oh MY 
eek.gif
 Well, I've been waiting for this like many around here. Honestly, I can say that I'm kinda happy that I just picked up a pair of d5k's. I absolutely love them. The cups are beautiful and the comfort is phenomenal. The sound signature is just what I was looking for and it's a perfect complement to my he400. Just not suffering any envy ATM.

May 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #72 of 903
Quote:
Change the cups please.....depending on how they make it, the headband may be able to stay but a complete reconstruction of the body is needed for me not to biasly overlook these headphones.

I kind of like the cups a bit, now that I've seen some proper Jude photography.  I'm gonna put on my burn suit, but there was a pair of Bose headphones that a friend of mine owned about half a decade ago now that I really liked aesthetically, and these remind me of those in the best possible way.  The cups do need a change in shape, though.  They look like Denon couldn't decide between the dull Sony studio design and something much classier.  If they were rounder and the headband assembly started lower on the cans, I would like them a lot more.  Maybe borrow the Audio Technica wing design to make them a bit fancier.  In any case, there are some clear design flaws, but I'll wait until a veteran can review these to tell me how they sound.  

May 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #74 of 903
Why is everyone hating on these new headphones because they look bad? To me if they sound good then who cares? Everyone needs to stop hating/condemning these headphones before they have even auditioned them! I won't care if you talk trash about these headphones AFTER you have gave them a listen and you didn't like them but seriously people? Like Jude pointed out everyone was whining about how the HD800's looked and condemned them etc. etc. but after they were released and people got their hands on them and actually gave them a try a lot of them actually loved them and the look of the headphones grew on them . . . and now what do you know? The HD800's are actually a really well liked pair of headphones among a LOT of head-fiers and audiophiles in general. In my opinion sound should ALWAYS come before aesthetics people.

EDIT: I for one would be VERY interested in these headphones IF I heard good things about sound quality, build quality etc. from fellow head-fiers.

May 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #75 of 903
I had the opportunity to hear the D7000s and I was totally unimpressed.. 

The D7100s should be even worse, since the only improvement I think they have done is to include fancier terms in the descriptions. Micro became Nano etc...

Things are going bad.. in fact.. the gap between the ultra high end and the cheap crap is getting so big, we could fit an elephant in it. All the cans that were considered good are being discontinued, and being replaced by something portable and iCompatible. When I saw these headphones, at first, I thought that the stock cable has a 3.5 mm plug (which wouldnt surprise me at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back