Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,986 of 5,248
Any word on how the D2k compare to a UE 6000? I'm enjoying the UE 6000 atm [It's a loaner] and honestly... my only wish for the D2k is to have a smidge less mid bass and a little more sub bass. Honestly the UE 6000 are to mid heavy for tastes, they hit hard but the don't dig as deeply and as textured as I'd like. That said... still have no idea when I'll get my D2k xD hoping by the Second week of Decmeber at this point 

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,987 of 5,248
I recently acquired a set of Denon D2000s and plan on modding them in some way, haven't decided how yet. My question to everyone in this thread that has or has heard both modded D2000s and D5000s is that do they sound different, the same, or one better than the other? I ask this because Tyll wrote that he found the Denon D2000 and D5000 have the exact same driver (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000) so the main jump in sound quality must come from non-driver changes such as the cups and dampening. If I were to do a ton of mods on my D2000, would they sound as good as modded D5000s theoretically or better than stock 5000s? 

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,989 of 5,248
I recently acquired a set of Denon D2000s and plan on modding them in some way, haven't decided how yet. My question to everyone in this thread that has or has heard both modded D2000s and D5000s is that do they sound different, the same, or one better than the other? I ask this because Tyll wrote that he found the Denon D2000 and D5000 have the exact same driver (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000) so the main jump in sound quality must come from non-driver changes such as the cups and dampening. If I were to do a ton of mods on my D2000, would they sound as good as modded D5000s theoretically or better than stock 5000s? 

I agree, any discernible differences would be so minute they wouldn't matter. I had all three of the Denons till today when I sold my D5000 in order to finance a Th900...........and mostly because the D2000 and D5000 were almost clones of each other. In fact, with my new extra deep COCOBOLO cups on the D2000 as well as it having Lawton mods it sounds better with deeper bass. Amazing how close to my D7000 it is.

Lawton mod it, get some wood cups made (or put on a set of D5K or D7K cups), alpha pads, maybe the HD650 headband comfort pad mod, and you have one heck of a phone. Pics of mine are a page or two back.........yummy COCOBOLO.:D

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,990 of 5,248
Lawton mod it, get some wood cups made (or put on a set of D5K or D7K cups), alpha pads, maybe the HD650 headband comfort pad mod, and you have one heck of a phone. Pics of mine are a page or two back.........yummy COCOBOLO.
biggrin.gif

I know I've said it before, it's such a shame that those mods are so expensive. It's literally enough to buy a second hand pair of HE-400 or HD-600, or a really nice amp. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #2,991 of 5,248
I agree, any discernible differences would be so minute they wouldn't matter. I had all three of the Denons till today when I sold my D5000 in order to finance a Th900...........and mostly because the D2000 and D5000 were almost clones of each other. In fact, with my new extra deep COCOBOLO cups on the D2000 as well as it having Lawton mods it sounds better with deeper bass. Amazing how close to my D7000 it is.

Lawton mod it, get some wood cups made (or put on a set of D5K or D7K cups), alpha pads, maybe the HD650 headband comfort pad mod, and you have one heck of a phone. Pics of mine are a page or two back.........yummy COCOBOLO.
biggrin.gif

I actually have something possibly more diabolical in mind. I have access to a 3D Printer and I was starting to really dig the cast-magnesium cups on the TH600. I wanted to maybe cross the Alpha Dog technology Dan is employing and see what I could do with the Denon/Fostex line (obviously not commercially, not trying to compete with Dan) to see if I can make these things sound special. If that doesn't go well, I might try to make some nice anodized aluminum cups to change up the Denon look from the beautiful, delicate wood look to a rougher, scratch resistant anodized, flat black. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,992 of 5,248

I know I've said it before, it's such a shame that those mods are so expensive. It's literally enough to buy a second hand pair of HE-400 or HD-600, or a really nice amp. 

Very right you are. I understand the reason for the price, but it's the major reason I haven't jumped for a pair of cups.

The dynamat stuff, though, is pretty cheap if you do it yourself, $20 will get you enough for several pairs of Denons.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,993 of 5,248

I actually have something possibly more diabolical in mind. I have access to a 3D Printer and I was starting to really dig the cast-magnesium cups on the TH600. I wanted to maybe cross the Alpha Dog technology Dan is employing and see what I could do with the Denon/Fostex line (obviously not commercially, not trying to compete with Dan) to see if I can make these things sound special. If that doesn't go well, I might try to make some nice anodized aluminum cups to change up the Denon look from the beautiful, delicate wood look to a rougher, scratch resistant anodized, flat black. 

so you have access to a metal 3D printer? Aren't those ridiculously expensive? What are the dimensions of the printer?

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #2,994 of 5,248
  Very right you are. I understand the reason for the price, but it's the major reason I haven't jumped for a pair of cups.

The dynamat stuff, though, is pretty cheap if you do it yourself, $20 will get you enough for several pairs of Denons.

That's the worst part - I've done the "MarkL" mod on my cans, so it's even less reason to shell out..

But man, looking at some of those cups getting around. I'm in love.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,995 of 5,248

so you have access to a metal 3D printer? Aren't those ridiculously expensive? What are the dimensions of the printer?

I have access to both a CNC (I think that's what you mean by metal printer), as well as a standard poly-plastic grade 3D printer. Both aren't industrial scale, but they are more than large enough to print or cut something at least 12'' x 12'' x 12''. I can already guess some of the problems and potential nightmares of this project before even starting it though. I guess that's half the fun.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #2,996 of 5,248

I have had a similar project in mind. Mine will use a CMM to measure the stock D2000 cups, then a SolidWorks buddy to model them and our 3D printer to make a deeper version with some baffling/sound chambers inside. Have all the access I need to the equipment and people and I'm the boss so it's just a matter of making it happen. I wish I knew what the inside of a Alpha Dog cup looked like.........that would help in the design.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #2,997 of 5,248
I have had a similar project in mind. Mine will use a CMM to measure the stock D2000 cups, then a SolidWorks buddy to model them and our 3D printer to make a deeper version with some baffling/sound chambers inside. Have all the access I need to the equipment and people and I'm the boss so it's just a matter of making it happen. I wish I knew what the inside of a Alpha Dog cup looked like.........that would help in the design.

Pretty sure Dan's not going to want to share that with you lol, as well it's like his buisness. Either way nice on being the boss man of such a nice company! On the plus side I've heard back from Jimmy and Martin, Martin should get the headphones some time next week, at the latest the second week of December I should finally have mine.

Now just trying to hammer out the final cost of the repairs and the shipping with both fellows. Still any one heard both the UE 6000 and a Wood Back D2k [or even stock] I'm pretty confident a D2k Cocbolo+ MarkL Driver Dampen will mope the floor with the UE 6000... but it's always nice to have confirmation! 

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #2,998 of 5,248
Pretty sure Dan's not going to want to share that with you lol, as well it's like his buisness. Either way nice on being the boss man of such a nice company! On the plus side I've heard back from Jimmy and Martin, Martin should get the headphones some time next week, at the latest the second week of December I should finally have mine.

Now just trying to hammer out the final cost of the repairs and the shipping with both fellows. Still any one heard both the UE 6000 and a Wood Back D2k [or even stock] I'm pretty confident a D2k Cocbolo+ MarkL Driver Dampen will mope the floor with the UE 6000... but it's always nice to have confirmation! 

Great to hear they both came out of the Twilight Zone and contacted you! I was feeling like I hooked you up with not one but two problems.

Sounds like the UE6000 would be a good portable solution, which the Denon is not.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #2,999 of 5,248
Great to hear they both came out of the Twilight Zone and contacted you! I was feeling like I hooked you up with not one but two problems.

Sounds like the UE6000 would be a good portable solution, which the Denon is not.

I carry the W1000x around with me lol, portable imo means closed xD you must have forgotten about my W1000x!

I've even mutalted my DT 880 Carrying poach to accomdate the W1000x my HM801 and my Amp lol so I can make anything portable. Not to mention my D2k has a 4 fopt D7k cord unlike the flippin 8foot w1000x cord 

Still it's a good price for a good headphone, just with a lot of unexpected problems. I guess because Martin is so busy, still by the second week of December! I'll be sharing impressions... if not sooner I hope! 

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #3,000 of 5,248

Couldn't someone with an Alpha Dog simply open the headphone and take high resolution pictures of the insides or is the AD still too new for people to go digging through its innards? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back