Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 21, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #3,019 of 5,248
They're no more balanced now than before. I only reterminated the original cable to the minis. I have a silver cable in the works for them, maybe after that I'll be able to hear a difference, but as of right now they're still the same old original D2K sound sig (that I like). 

And yes, I did it myself.
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3,021 of 5,248
Yea, I was hoping someone had a line on a source some old stock. Nvmd, I will buy Sony MA900 instead, that's if I can find them in Canada at a fair price.

Go check out Lawton Audio's website and contact Mark. I think he usually has some new stock available.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #3,022 of 5,248
  Where does one acquire AHD2000 in Canada? Used not acceptable.

My experience is there are graduated, incremental changes as you go up the chain. That said, my D2000 is very close to the D5000 I just sold, but it had no mods other than the Bolivian Rosewood cups with no Lawton mods and my D2000 has the Lawton mods on all but the cups. I don't think there is a huge improvement vs the D7000 I have, which is fully Lawton modded but it is there.

Running any of these out of my Yamaha CD player into a vintage amp, the sound is crystal clear. Low quality Pandora off an iPhone, not so much. Still good, just not great.

How well controlled is the bass on the FUlly Lawton MOdded D7k. I've read a few reviews saying them compare rather nicely with the sony R10 [That wood back[the bass heavy version I assume] that said.... I really need a upgrade to my W1000x... a wood back closed upgrade.  So far most of the wood backs are basy 

Reality not acceptable?  

You MIGHT get lucky with Mark L, but these are discountinued 
  Gave my pair some pigtails :)
Dual Rean mini-xlrs. I like the look of the Reans over any other brand so far. 

Very nice it looks MUCH better than others I've seen. I always see EarLope min xlr mods that look terrible... but that actually looks very nice... I might have to get Brain from BTG to give me the EarLope treatment on my D2k! Mines going to have the MarkL mod on the drivers, and I've got Cocobolo wood backs on mine as well! With a D7k Stock cable atm

Non the less upgrades are in store for these! Hoping to not own another closed back bass heavy can till I can afford he TH 900 honestly. The same can be said of my W1000x. Not sure what to upgrade it to honestly... maybe the TH 900 will work with all genres despite it's more fun sound signiture! OR honestly... I might grab a FULLY Modded D7k. I hear it get's very refrance with all the Dampening mods... either way I need another balanced sound signiture wood can...

anyways only another month till I can actually listen to my Denon q.q

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #3,023 of 5,248

Non the less upgrades are in store for these! Hoping to not own another closed back bass heavy can till I can afford he TH 900 honestly. The same can be said of my W1000x. Not sure what to upgrade it to honestly... maybe the TH 900 will work with all genres despite it's more fun sound signiture! OR honestly... I might grab a FULLY Modded D7k. I hear it get's very refrance with all the Dampening mods... either way I need another balanced sound signiture wood can...

This is the first time I've ever done pigtails for a detachable mod. I really didn't want to but if I were to attach a chassis to the cans themselves I would have had to drill the hole out a little. I didn't know if that would be a good idea considering the limited amount of room there is down there for expansion of that hole. This was the only alternative, and it turned out better than I anticipated it would on my first attempt. 

Thanks 
wink_face.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #3,024 of 5,248
I have the modded Lawton d-5000 with cups pads and mod and that was what i noticed when i got them back tighter bass more under control actually back then i just wanted those  WATERFALL BUBINGA cups theres nothing like wood !

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3,025 of 5,248
  How well controlled is the bass on the FUlly Lawton MOdded D7k. I've read a few reviews saying them compare rather nicely with the sony R10 [That wood back[the bass heavy version I assume] that said.... I really need a upgrade to my W1000x... a wood back closed upgrade.  So far most of the wood backs are basy 

So when I got my D7000 it was totally stock, down to the ear pads.  Was not that impressed with the bass, especially compared to my D2000, which was fully Lawton modded, so off it went to Mark for the treatment.  It came back a completely different headphone in my estimation, with very controlled bass and glorious sound.  If you get a chance to hear a D7000 with Lawton mods I think you will be impressed.  They were the equal to the TH600 I auditioned from HeadAmp.  Side by side for 7 days I put them through the paces and was amazed - they were like clones of each other. 

By the way................I have a pair of TH900's on the way to me.  Arrive tomorrow......................THAT is why I put my D2000 up for sale originally, and then ended up selling the D5000 instead. 
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3,026 of 5,248
  I have the modded Lawton d-5000 with cups pads and mod and that was what i noticed when i got them back tighter bass more under control actually back then i just wanted those  WATERFALL BUBINGA cups theres nothing like wood !

Love that pic..................those cups are sweet. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #3,028 of 5,248
  So when I got my D7000 it was totally stock, down to the ear pads.  Was not that impressed with the bass, especially compared to my D2000, which was fully Lawton modded, so off it went to Mark for the treatment.  It came back a completely different headphone in my estimation, with very controlled bass and glorious sound.  If you get a chance to hear a D7000 with Lawton mods I think you will be impressed.  They were the equal to the TH600 I auditioned from HeadAmp.  Side by side for 7 days I put them through the paces and was amazed - they were like clones of each other. 

By the way................I have a pair of TH900's on the way to me.  Arrive tomorrow......................THAT is why I put my D2000 up for sale originally, and then ended up selling the D5000 instead. 
eek.gif

If you find the TH 900 DESTORYS the D7000 you should let me demo it, and or buy it from you on day in le future <3 

Still A shame to hear the TH 600 [PLASTIC] wounds like a wooden D7000 +full MarkL Mod! 

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #3,029 of 5,248
  If you find the TH 900 DESTORYS the D7000 you should let me demo it, and or buy it from you on day in le future <3 

Still A shame to hear the TH 600 [PLASTIC] wounds like a wooden D7000 +full MarkL Mod! 

I'm sure that wood makes a difference in sound quality, but a better plastic could have the same effect. About 8 months ago I started working in a plastic sheet factory, we make so many different kinds of plastic there. There are soft plastics that feel almost like rubber, and there are hard plastics that wont melt under 500 degrees. If the plastic is hard enough, it could have a similar effect. Some of the stuff we sell is like $30+ a pound, high grade stuff.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #3,030 of 5,248

I'm not so sure the TH600 is plastic...............isn't it some kind of alloy? 

And the D7000 is staying - I've got five separate head fi stations including my office one at work so I need the quality phones to supply the stations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back