Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #2,972 of 5,248
  Eww that's not what I wanted to hear :-[

Sonically or rather with regards to the mids, how do the Lawton Pads compare to the Alpha? I know the J$ are MID suckers as well

Not sure if I want Lawton or Alpha at this point... Might even try find some Beyer Gels :O if I knew how they changed the sound...

Your not going to find the clear gels very easily, the black ones are terrible.

The Alpha pads are much better then the Lawtons to my ears.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,973 of 5,248
  Going for the TH900? 

Maybe...........................
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2,974 of 5,248
  Your not going to find the clear gels very easily, the black ones are terrible.

The Alpha pads are much better then the Lawtons to my ears.

Agreed.  Had both the clears and blacks, sold them both.  And for a Denon, which should have angled pads, these are not optimal.

I too prefer the Alphas to the Lawton angles......................close but the comfort wins me over. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2,975 of 5,248

Agreed.  Had both the clears and blacks, sold them both.  And for a Denon, which should have angled pads, these are not optimal.

I too prefer the Alphas to the Lawton angles......................close but the comfort wins me over. 

Could care less for comfort is the sound is better, non the less the Alphas are cheaper and I like Dan! Mark L has left me with a bitter taste :3 and Dan has always been super great! 

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,976 of 5,248

I really like the clears, the black ones are a different material. I may like them because I slanted the drivers in my D5ks when I modded them. I love the Alphas on the D7ks, I notice no lack of mids.

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,977 of 5,248
  I really like the clears, the black ones are a different material. I may like them because I slanted the drivers in my D5ks when I modded them. I love the Alphas on the D7ks, I notice no lack of mids.

Well, soon enough I'll know for my self! 

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,978 of 5,248
Well, soon enough I'll know for my self! 

The comfort with Alphas and the HD650 pad make these headphones comfy for hours............

Can't wait till you get your set!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,979 of 5,248
The comfort with Alphas and the HD650 pad make these headphones comfy for hours............

Can't wait till you get your set!

Feels like if at this point :/ nothing from Martin in a week now... 

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,981 of 5,248
Oregonian, all of your Denons  are just beautiful (love the wood choices), sonically are they any better?

Thanks, I was planning the COCOBOLO cups for a while as the wood is beautiful, and they turned out better than expected. The D5000 has Brazilian Rosewood and it's just a shade lighter, yet still beautiful and sound wonderful as well. Love wood cups for both sound and looks. Want a TH900 to add to the collection.......haven't seen those wood cups in person but they sure look sweet.

I only had a before/after with the D2000 (original plastic cups Lawton damped) to compare but will say the answer is yes. The cups are a half inch deeper than stock and the bass is felt deeper without being boomy. The original cups sounded great as well so it was just a small incremental improvement besides the looks.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #2,982 of 5,248
Thanks, I was planning the COCOBOLO cups for a while as the wood is beautiful, and they turned out better than expected. The D5000 has Brazilian Rosewood and it's just a shade lighter, yet still beautiful and sound wonderful as well. Love wood cups for both sound and looks. Want a TH900 to add to the collection.......haven't seen those wood cups in person but they sure look sweet.

I only had a before/after with the D2000 (original plastic cups Lawton damped) to compare but will say the answer is yes. The cups are a half inch deeper than stock and the bass is felt deeper without being boomy. The original cups sounded great as well so it was just a small incremental improvement besides the looks.

The TH900 cups look much, much better in person tha in pictures. Pictures just do not do them justice. Sadly, I couldn't justify keeping them when I preferred the sound of the TH600.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,983 of 5,248
  The TH900 cups look much, much better in person tha in pictures. Pictures just do not do them justice. Sadly, I couldn't justify keeping them when I preferred the sound of the TH600.

ouch, so is the TH 600 "more fun" I mean what was the differance in sound

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #2,984 of 5,248

More feedback please............what about the TH600 did you prefer?

I auditioned the TH600 heads up with my D7000 and loved it as well, though it was a clone to my Denon (Lawton modded). To hear from someone that the 600 was preferred while I'm considering a 900 gives me pause.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,985 of 5,248
The TH900 has better detailing, better soundstage and more air between the sounds, the bass impact on the TH600 is scaled down compared to the 900, while equally the bass doesn't go as deep. However the TH600's flatter sound signature appealed to me more. That and the $900 price difference.

However, if I had the money, I'd get the TH900 again, no questions asked, it's just such a fantastically good headphone and aside form the price and more pronounced V-shape to the sound signature, is an all together better headphone. I simply couldn't justify keeping it over the lesser priced, but 95% as good TH600.

As for which was the more fun sound? The TH900 certainly. I'll highly recommend both though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back