Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,266 of 5,248
I just got the D5000s in. I already have the D2000s. I read all the comments about how these are a significant step up from the D2000s but took that with a grain of salt. After going through a marathon listening session last night with all my favorite material, I didn't get to sleep until 2 AM!!! Holy moly the difference is, pardon the pun, ear opening!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

basshead.gif

I can't imagine stepping from D5000 to the D7000, which apparently is less of a dramatic difference, than going from D2000s to D5000s. 

Anyone interested in a pair of D2000s? 
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,267 of 5,248
Quote:
I just got the D5000s in. I already have the D2000s. I read all the comments about how these are a significant step up from the D2000s but took that with a grain of salt. After going through a marathon listening session last night with all my favorite material, I didn't get to sleep until 2 AM!!! Holy moly the difference is, pardon the pun, ear opening!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

basshead.gif

I can't imagine stepping from D5000 to the D7000, which apparently is less of a dramatic difference, than going from D2000s to D5000s. 

Anyone interested in a pair of D2000s? 
wink.gif

Keeping in mind it's just recabled D2000's with wooden cups, you really feel there is that big of a difference? I always wondered what the step up sounded like having the D2000's for so long...

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2,268 of 5,248
Quote:
Keeping in mind it's just recabled D2000's with wooden cups, you really feel there is that big of a difference? I always wondered what the step up sounded like having the D2000's for so long...

The bottom end is noticeably more impactful. There is a lot more detail as well in the low end. The midrange is a bit more full and rounded out than the D2000's midrange. Top end is fairly similar (to my ears) for a lot of familiar tracks I've listened to for over 20 yrs.

The D2000's hold their own when you have no reference point to compare with in the same line. When you go up, though, I understand the reasoning for it. Granted, I wouldn't have paid the MSRP that were on the D5000s but this is an absolute bargain on the used market compared to a lot of other cans out there at similar used price points (~$400).

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #2,269 of 5,248
Quote:

The bottom end is noticeably more impactful. There is a lot more detail as well in the low end. The midrange is a bit more full and rounded out than the D2000's midrange. Top end is fairly similar (to my ears) for a lot of familiar tracks I've listened to for over 20 yrs.

The D2000's hold their own when you have no reference point to compare with in the same line. When you go up, though, I understand the reasoning for it. Granted, I wouldn't have paid the MSRP that were on the D5000s but this is an absolute bargain on the used market compared to a lot of other cans out there at similar used price points (~$400).

I really miss my old D2k's, and it would be cool to buy the 5K upgrade. Hopefully someday someone posts them for sale here with lots of damage so I can get a steal :p

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,270 of 5,248
Today, I sold and shipped my beloved d5k's. 
frown.gif
 I owned two pair of d2k and this was my second pair of d5k's. They were just perfect, but I have really gotten into ortho's of late and I just had too many headphones. Something had to go. I will miss that deep luscious bass. Yes I will. And the comfort was stellar. 

The sad part is that they are discontinued. So even if I have a bad case of buyers remorse, the best I could do would be to score a used pair from here. A moment of silence please...okay I'm done. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2,271 of 5,248
Quote:
frown.gif
 I owned two pair of d2k and this was my second pair of d5k's. They were just perfect, but I have really gotten into ortho's of late and I just had too many headphones. Something had to go. I will miss that deep luscious bass. Yes I will. And the comfort was stellar. 

The sad part is that they are discontinued. So even if I have a bad case of buyers remorse, the best I could do would be to score a used pair from here. A moment of silence please...okay I'm done. 
biggrin.gif

Aren't Ortho's much lighter on the bass? HOW COULD YOU DO IT! :p how much did you get for them, if I may ask.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2,272 of 5,248
Quote:
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

You will likely return to the flock once more in the future at some point...

I'm in discovery mode right now but there are a lot of things the D5000 does right more than wrong that can't be ignored. I'm going to have to get rid of either the HD650s or the Shure 1840s at this point because I can't justify keeping them all!

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #2,273 of 5,248
I'd dump the 1840's tbh. And yeah, I was a huge fan of the d5k. I will certainly miss it but all of us here know when you have too much gear and that you have to cut if back. Well, most of us. 
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2,274 of 5,248
Quote:
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

Thinking of doing the same thing... mine are not in perfect shape though so I will probably ask for a reasonable amount! I can't believe what people are actually asking for those on eBay... Anyway, have been thinning the herd and also buying newer headphones (heck I just ordered the D600s...) but I really think that I will just stay with a couple of them...

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2,275 of 5,248
What would be a few good options for an amplifier to pair with the D5000's and a HRT MSII?  I would like a tube amp mainly for the style, but others are okay, too.
(No EF2A & under $250)  Thanks for any help.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #2,276 of 5,248
The Denons don't match well with tubes.
I've heard a lot of great things about the Denons matching well with the O2, that's my next HP purchase.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,278 of 5,248
Anyone here have any opinions of the d5000s with the nuuforce hd/hdp? Quickly heard it a while back and loved the bass quantity and impact. Couldn't quickly tell difference in the highs/mids. Or is there a better DAC/amp combo out there for the money? Been a few days without my denons atm, missing them.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,279 of 5,248
Quote:
I'd dump the 1840's tbh. And yeah, I was a huge fan of the d5k. I will certainly miss it but all of us here know when you have too much gear and that you have to cut if back. Well, most of us. 
wink.gif

I'm trying to cutback on my DT990's for the 5K's :frowning2: Maybe someday i'll get a steal on them.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #2,280 of 5,248
Someone demo'd my D2000 and commented that his D5000 has more mids presence. What do you all think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back