Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #2,236 of 5,248
Quote:
So HM5 leather pads vs D5k stock pads is that they have about the same sound signature but more comfortable?

I wouldn't say the HM5 pads have the exact same sound as the stock pads, they are very similar though.  The HM5 leather pads are definitely more comfortable to me as well.  They are quite deep and are pretty soft.  Right now, I definitely prefer the HM5 leather pads to the stock pads and it does feel like I get a better seal with the HM5 leather pads as well.

Here is a quick pic of the HM5 leathers on the D5000:

Sorry for the quality.  I will take better pictures later.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #2,237 of 5,248
Hey, thanks so much for the pic!! You say that these pads don't have the same sound signature as stock. Can you describe the difference?

thanks...

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,238 of 5,248
Quote:

I wouldn't say the HM5 pads have the exact same sound as the stock pads, they are very similar though.  The HM5 leather pads are definitely more comfortable to me as well.  They are quite deep and are pretty soft.  Right now, I definitely prefer the HM5 leather pads to the stock pads and it does feel like I get a better seal with the HM5 leather pads as well.

Here is a quick pic of the HM5 leathers on the D5000:

Sorry for the quality.  I will take better pictures later.

Can you describe the sound differences in some detail please?

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2,239 of 5,248
From what I heard, the bass on the HM5 leather pads was very similar if not the same as the stock pads.  It is detailed while extending very deep.

The jury is still out on the mids.  I need to do more comparisons on that but I believe they are similar to stock as well.  

The highs are a bit different.  It seems that the inner lining of the HM5 leather pads is thinner than the stock pads.  So, with the HM5 pads I feel like I am getting more detail, which makes me happy.  However, this also means that occasionally the highs can be slightly harsh.  This of course depends on the song but for the most part the highs are fantastic.  I would say that the highs with the HM5 pads are better than stock.

As for the soundstage, the HM5 pads are deeper so I do get a slightly more cavernous feel.  It's not a major difference, but it's there.

The biggest difference between the stock pads and the HM5 leather pads is the comfort.  The HM5 pads are very soft and plush.  They mold to my head and I feel like I get a better seal with them.  Isolation seems to be slightly improved over stock, but not by much.

I plan on switching back and forth between the HM5 leather pads and the velour pads again.  I really like velour for their comfort as the leather pads do tend to get quite warm.  However, I just don't know if the velours take too much away from the D5000s sound to be useful.  

More testing needs to be done, but I would say that overall the HM5 leather pads are a improvement over the stock pads for me.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2,240 of 5,248
Perfect that's exactly what I was looking for with the comparison.

I'm in for a pair of the HM5 pads. 
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,241 of 5,248
Quote:
Perfect that's exactly what I was looking for with the comparison.

I'm in for a pair of the HM5 pads. 
wink.gif

Probably time to get some HM5 pads for, well, my AD900... Seems to me the real leather J$ is still a winner :D Which makes ME a winner because YOU don't have it :wink:

Jokes aside, I've actually tried the D2k pads without the lining on the AD900 and while bass was stronger, it is more harsh (I think the lining has something to do with it too) and angled pads on an angled frame must have gave me a too angled experience... I think the HM5 pads should work out. Oh and guys I believe reading the Beyer pads work on the Denon line too - I'm not sure with this one but I can confirm the Denon pads and Sony SA series pads are interchangeable. Denon pads are a bit tight on my SA3k but it is possible to fit them. This should open up another source for pads, because the SA5k pads are sometimes chosen for T50rp mods, and there are a LOT of pads for the T50rp found to be usable.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,244 of 5,248
Aug 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #2,247 of 5,248
Well, I have done some more comparisons with the FA003/HM5 pads on the D5000s.  I still like the leather HM5 pads.  They are comfortable and plush.  However, with this being the middle of summer the leather pads tend to get quite warm.  So, I decided I was going to give the FA003 velour pads another shot.  I am so glad I did.

Let me just say, my initial impressions of the velours may have been a bit off.  The D5000s sound very good with the velour pads.  The bass that I originally thought was gone, is there and it sounds great.  It's tight, and I even think it is slightly more detailed with the velour pads... maybe. 

I think I know why I originally thought the sound with the velour pads was off.  Upon inspection, I have noticed that the velour pads are as deep if not deeper than the leather pads.  The difference here is that while the leather pads are soft and cushy the velour pads are stiffer.  The velours hold their shape more while being worn.  So, this puts even more distance between my ear and the drivers.  This was giving me the impression that the sound had lost some punch.  I now see that this is not the case.

The sound with the velours is a lot closer to the HM5 leathers than I initially thought.  They share a similar signature with detailed highs, mids that are not recessed nor pushed to the front.  Also the bass, what can I say?  The bass sounds great.  I love the D5000s bass.  With the velours it just sounds that much tighter and detailed.  Oh and the comfort of the velours cannot be matched IMO, especially with the summer heat and humidity. 

So, all in all I think the HM5 leathers and the FA003 velours are great pads for the D5000s.  They are comfortable, put more distance between my ears and drivers and leave that Denon sound intact. 

Here are a few pics I took:

With this last pic you can see the genius of the velour pads.  They actually have a leather inner wall.  This is the best of both worlds IMO.

The velour pads are definitely staying on my D5000s for the foreseeable future. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,249 of 5,248
I have tried the sa3k fabric pads together with the open back mods and the denons get quite more balanced but also sharper in the high frequencies. Do you notice any spikes in the treble?

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,250 of 5,248
Quote:
OK so where do we get the FA003 pads?  Do the FA003 and HM5 also fit the D7000?

I just ordered a pair, great deal with free shipping:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

I am planning on trying these with both the D5K and the FA-003.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back