Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,906 of 5,248

Quote:
I hate to be guy talking about random rumors, but was going to test listen D2000 on Finland's largest nerdy gadget/PC/sound shop, with me starting to talk about representative from the shop who was specialized on headphones. Had pretty mind blowing amount knowledge about headphone in general. Just like me, he also happened to had found home from Denon's in-ears and headphones.

Cutting to the chase he said that Denon is bringing big revamp to it's line up in summer. Replacing D2000 and D5000, with D7000 staying on as it is. There would also be two new in-ears. Funny part was that i was walking into shop to buy the D2000, me being ready to buy them after testing them out, but he said to wait. Be this true or not, for me waiting till around July fits very nicely, if D2000 is replaced i would buy the original ones for cheaper price. 

So is this general knowledge, or all of it makes no sense and he is talking out of his ass?

[size=medium]  [/size]

I'd love to see them make the housing sturdier..they always felt very fragile to me.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,907 of 5,248

Quote:
For those who have experimented, any preferences for a DAC or AMP with the D2000s?

I tried my D5ks with the Nuforce HDP and for bass i was really amazed. The bass impact it gave the d5ks was awesome. It overall improved the general sound over the E7/E9 combo. And really gave it the impact that i was looking for, which is the only thing i thought my denons were missing, so thatll probably be my preffered amp/source. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,908 of 5,248

Quote:
I tried my D5ks with the Nuforce HDP and for bass i was really amazed. The bass impact it gave the d5ks was awesome. It overall improved the general sound over the E7/E9 combo. And really gave it the impact that i was looking for, which is the only thing i thought my denons were missing, so thatll probably be my preffered amp/source. 

Thanks for the input. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,910 of 5,248

Quote:
I hate to be guy talking about random rumors, but was going to test listen D2000 on Finland's largest nerdy gadget/PC/sound shop, with me starting to talk about representative from the shop who was specialized on headphones. Had pretty mind blowing amount knowledge about headphone in general. Just like me, he also happened to had found home from Denon's in-ears and headphones.

Cutting to the chase he said that Denon is bringing big revamp to it's line up in summer. Replacing D2000 and D5000, with D7000 staying on as it is. There would also be two new in-ears. Funny part was that i was walking into shop to buy the D2000, me being ready to buy them after testing them out, but he said to wait. Be this true or not, for me waiting till around July fits very nicely, if D2000 is replaced i would buy the original ones for cheaper price. 

So is this general knowledge, or all of it makes no sense and he is talking out of his ass?

well it does kind of make sense - thus why the authorised seller in the UK i bought it from said it was discontinued.

The Denon line is quite old.

I have the D2K's atm....and quite close in buying the D7K's for $600.

How would people compare the D2 and 7K's?

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,911 of 5,248

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, for all the D2000 users what kind of source are you running your headphones through?  I'm more curious to see what kind of AMP/DAC you may be using but also do you primarily listen out of your computer, ipod, etc?

I recently used a Fiio E10 AMP/DAC with my D2000 and although I believe the sound quality was better I'm not really sure where exactly it improved (I'm fairly new to audiophile type headphones).  Overall the sound just sounded clearer especially at higher volumes. 

I sold the E10 because I think I may want something more portable (E17 maybe) or maybe even a tube amp as I've heard these types of amps drive the denons well (is this correct?). 

For those who have experimented, any preferences for a DAC or AMP with the D2000s?

Just upgraded my rig today.

Foobar Wasapi -> E7 -> E9 (Optional RCA LO) -> DARKVOICE 336 -> Denon D2000

Question: Which is the obvious bottleneck in the system? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,912 of 5,248

Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

I've heard the E9 has too much impedance for the Denons which makes the bass a bit bloated. Maybe look into the O2 reference amp. It pairs really well with the Denons IMO.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,913 of 5,248
Nice try finding the bottle neck, but nup you are wrong ;P

Quote:
I've heard the E9 has too much impedance for the Denons which makes the bass a bit bloated. Maybe look into the O2 reference amp. It pairs really well with the Denons IMO.

I actually find the bass very well presented on my E9. There's a Hifi shop near where I work and they have a lovely cube there so I might dress up like a boss and walk in with my own headphones, act like a serious loaded guy considering an amp...

I did a semi-MarklMod with bluetac instead of dynamat and now the bass is not as bloated. They are bassy for sure but not fat fat kind of bass. Goes down unbelievably deep, perfect. But again, never heard of the O2, maybe I need a headfi meet.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,915 of 5,248
Hey Everyone,
      Just got my D5000s a few days ago (first set of nice headphones) and loving them so far.  I primarily bought them to listen to classical music while at work, but have quickly found myself listening to everything because it all sounds so damn good :).  Can't wait to hear what these sound like after some break in time.  Anyways, one concern I have with the phones is the cable.  I'm afraid that it is going to wear quickly while moving them around on my desk and moving back and forth between work and home.  Do you guys have any advice on how to organize such a long cable as well as protect it?  

Last, I would like to get a nice amplifier/dac to compliment the headphones ($400-$600 range).  I've read about a few different options that are specific to the d5000s, but I'd like to get one that would be good for other phones as well (I'm considering getting the akg 701s in the next 6 months or so).  One of my buddies recommended the Apogee duet.  What do you think of this and do you guys have any other good suggestions?  Thanks in advance for the help!

-Steve

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,916 of 5,248

Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

The impedance output mismatch consideration with the amp is an issue with large drivers used in home speaker setups, but not typically with the relatively tiny drivers used in headphones.  Also, the Denon's have a very flat impedance:frequency response, so it would be practically impossible for anyone to notice any problems with a higher output impedance amp.

The weakest link in your setup is the headphones.  A change in headphones will have the most significant impact on your sound quality.  I don't know what might be the best for your preferences, but if you had $1000 to spend, different headphones will most likely provide the greatest improvement, or at least something that sounds much different.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,917 of 5,248

Quote:

The impedance output mismatch consideration with the amp is an issue with large drivers used in home speaker setups, but not typically with the relatively tiny drivers used in headphones.  Also, the Denon's have a very flat impedance:frequency response, so it would be practically impossible for anyone to notice any problems with a higher output impedance amp.

The weakest link in your setup is the headphones.  A change in headphones will have the most significant impact on your sound quality.  I don't know what might be the best for your preferences, but if you had $1000 to spend, different headphones will most likely provide the greatest improvement, or at least something that sounds much different.

I thought it would be my E7 DAC...

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,919 of 5,248

Quote:

[size=medium]  [/size]

How did his breath smell?

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #1,920 of 5,248
On innerfidelity.com, there are two different versions of each the D2000, D5000 and D7000 listed in datasheet section.

A "normal" model and a 2012 model.

I've got a rather old D2000 and wonder how a new model would sound.

Also I've noticed that the differences of the frequency responses between the new 2012 models of the D2/5/7000 seem to be not so big compared to the old ones,
if I've looked it up correctly.

I'm slightly confused now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back