Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,921 of 5,248

Quote:
On innerfidelity.com, there are two different versions of each the D2000, D5000 and D7000 listed in datasheet section.

A "normal" model and a 2012 model.

I've got a rather old D2000 and wonder how a new model would sound.

Also I've noticed that the differences of the frequency responses between the new 2012 models of the D2/5/7000 seem to be not so big compared to the old ones,
if I've looked it up correctly.

I'm slightly confused now.

It seems what they did across the range is smooth out the hump at about 1000Hz. And for the D7000's, they boosted the bass quite a bit; I'm not a fan of that move, though I do like that the 2012 model goes even deeper now.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,922 of 5,248
Wow, just when I thought I would never have to upgrade my headphones. . . Denon releases a newer model. . . 

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #1,924 of 5,248

Quote:

It seems what they did across the range is smooth out the hump at about 1000Hz. And for the D7000's, they boosted the bass quite a bit; I'm not a fan of that move, though I do like that the 2012 model goes even deeper now.

This new D7000 frequency response looks great to me when compared to the older versions.  It's very flat across the spectrum.  It looks very similar to my D5000 with J$ pads, only better.  This is the characteristics that I seem to enjoy.  I can test the older D7000, but I have no way to test this newer version, which I would very much like to do.  If I can believe these charts, I may just go for it if I can verify what version I am getting, and I can get them for about $500.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,925 of 5,248

Quote:
This new D7000 frequency response looks great to me when compared to the older versions.  It's very flat across the spectrum.  It looks very similar to my D5000 with J$ pads, only better.  This is the characteristics that I seem to enjoy.  I can test the older D7000, but I have no way to test this newer version, which I would very much like to do.  If I can believe these charts, I may just go for it if I can verify what version I am getting, and I can get them for about $500.

How can u get them fro $500 for starters
Secondly:
Where are these graphs

And thirdly as said above, how do we know what version we are on?

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,926 of 5,248

Quote:
How can u get them fro $500 for starters
Secondly:
Where are these graphs

And thirdly as said above, how do we know what version we are on?

I suppose $500 is wishful thinking. 
smily_headphones1.gif

My interest would be greater if they dropped the price below $700 with shipping included.  I'm sure I could identify the version from the box/packaging without having to break it open, but I would do some more research before I actually made any purchase.  I would even give Denon a call, as a last resort. 

The graphs can be found at inner|fidelity in pdf format at the following link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,927 of 5,248

Quote:
I suppose $500 is wishful thinking. 
smily_headphones1.gif

My interest would be greater if they dropped the price below $700 with shipping included.  I'm sure I could identify the version from the box/packaging without having to break it open, but I would do some more research before I actually made any purchase.  I would even give Denon a call, as a last resort. 

The graphs can be found at inner|fidelity in pdf format at the following link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

cheers buddy!
And they were going for $550 - opened box

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,929 of 5,248
Essentially, what it looks like they've done is apply the markl mod, because that's what it does.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,930 of 5,248
wow just looked at the graphs...and it seems like a "huge" difference.
Although that's what the sheets say - i wonder what "real people" would say.

I doubt its night and day - but similar to the Mark L mods type thing - altering the sig, be it better or worse for some.

I saw the D7K's with a HUGE boost in bass -> I feel that most would not desire this, although i would love it.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,931 of 5,248
I'm not sure if the bass would sound boosted over the original, as the entire FR seems to be raised a bit, almost as if the sensitivity was increased a bit overall.  So where the bass is increased on the graph, the mids and highs are also increased to maintain about the same ratio with the fundamental signature generally being the same, absent the dip in the mids.  The basic slope on the graph looks to be about the same.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,932 of 5,248

Quote:
I'm not sure if the bass would sound boosted over the original, as the entire FR seems to be raised a bit, almost as if the sensitivity was increased a bit overall.  So where the bass is increased on the graph, the mids and highs are also increased to maintain about the same ratio with the fundamental signature generally being the same, absent the dip in the mids.  The basic slope on the graph looks to be about the same.

good shout - you may be right!
End of the day - we need a human, not a machine to test them - and numbers :D

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,934 of 5,248
Are you guys sure that this "new" testing for the D7000 is indeed a new version of the headphone?
Or is it just that Tyll updated the way he does testing as he mentioned when he met with the sound
engineer just a few weeks ago?

Also, maybe the PDF says 2012 because HE HAD NOT properly tested the D7000s??

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,935 of 5,248
I know this is ugly, but I did a quick and dirty overlay with the resources I have available to me at the time.

It's far from great, but it does allow one to see a very general comparison.  It looks to me that the FR of the older version's 600-1200Hz range is nearly identical to the level where the bass peaks.  I would suspect that this would be noticeable to many people.  The newer "B2012" version peaks at the lower bass and slowly drops as the frequency increases. Very curious to see if anyone can make a review/comparison between the 2 versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back