Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,936 of 5,248

Quote:
Are you guys sure that this "new" testing for the D7000 is indeed a new version of the headphone?
Or is it just that Tyll updated the way he does testing as he mentioned when he met with the sound
engineer just a few weeks ago?

Also, maybe the PDF says 2012 because HE HAD NOT properly tested the D7000s??

Good question.  The title of the link to the datasheet says "Denon AH-D7000 new pair in 2012".  If this was just an updated result, it is a bit confusing.  It doesn't say "new test method" or "updated", and he specifically identifies the cans as "Denon AH-D7000 B2012" opposed to just "Denon AH-D7000".  The evidence points to these being different headphones; but, that is just my own personal conclusion.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,937 of 5,248
The previous measurements were from Denon cans about 4 years old .. at least.

The 2012 measurements are current production brand-new units. I'll see if I can get my hands on some older ones from HeadRoom and compare ... I will be doing a review of the Denon line shortly.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,939 of 5,248

Quote:

The 2012 measurements are current production brand-new units. I'll see if I can get my hands on some older ones from HeadRoom and compare ... I will be doing a review of the Denon line shortly.

cheers Tyll

Quote:

Thanks, looking forward to the review!

+1

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,940 of 5,248
Hey guys,

I'm a proud owner of the D2000's. Unlike some of you I think they improve hugely with an amp. When I first received them I was a bit disappointed with how thin they sounded but after I got my Headroom Micro Amp (2005 version) I thought they really came alive. Recently I added the Astrodyne Power Suppy to my set-up and was pleasantly surprised with the improvement. The bass became a bit tighter and the overall sound  "fuller".

What I would like to know is if you think I'm getting the most out of my headphones with my current set-up? Has anyone compared the D2000's with a Micro Amp vs some other amp?

And another question; the only thing bothering me at the moment is a background hiss I get when listening to my iPod through the LOD. It disappears when I connect the amp straight to the headphone out but then again the SQ gets a lot worse. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,941 of 5,248

Quote:

Fantastic, thanks Tyll!

Hey guys,

I'm a proud owner of the D2000's. Unlike some of you I think they improve hugely with an amp. When I first received them I was a bit disappointed with how thin they sounded but after I got my Headroom Micro Amp (2005 version) I thought they really came alive. Recently I added the Astrodyne Power Suppy to my set-up and was pleasantly surprised with the improvement. The bass became a bit tighter and the overall sound  "fuller".

What I would like to know is if you think I'm getting the most out of my headphones with my current set-up? Has anyone compared the D2000's with a Micro Amp vs some other amp?

And another question; the only thing bothering me at the moment is a background hiss I get when listening to my iPod through the LOD. It disappears when I connect the amp straight to the headphone out but then again the SQ gets a lot worse. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?

I'd actually agree with you on the first part, my Denons seem to improve with a nice clean amp.

As for the iPod issue, that's interesting, since I'd expect the opposite, a more clean signal through the LOD with hissing from the jack (since you're double amping). Do you happen to know someone else with an iPod? Try theirs.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,942 of 5,248
Quote:

annnd it all makes sense now! :wink:

Thanks Tyll!

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #1,943 of 5,248
Hi,

just ordered pair of AH-D5000's.

anyone did any reviews of the D5000 with/without markl mods?

does it affect the midrange, make it recessed (someone said that I think)? also read the midrange is better (less affected by bass)?

thanks

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,944 of 5,248
Just received a Darkvoice 336i... Now are there anyways I can try to fix the impedance mismatch? Say adding a 'flight attenuator' from ue or a whatever etymotic er4p -> 4s converter, or by adding resistors, or those 75ohms, 125ohms adapters etc...

Someone want to explain how it works? In a slightly engineering way but not too much, I don't do electrical but I solar energy...

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #1,945 of 5,248
THIS GRAPH IS IMPRESSIVE http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000JMoneyPads.pdf vs http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000B2012.pdf The mids really come out with the Jpads. As the Jpads arent available looking to get the lawnton pads! Should be similar result.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,946 of 5,248

Quote:
THIS GRAPH IS IMPRESSIVE http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000JMoneyPads.pdf vs http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000B2012.pdf The mids really come out with the Jpads. As the Jpads arent available looking to get the lawnton pads! Should be similar result.

Just got the Lawton pads to measure with the Denons before review.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,948 of 5,248

Quote:
Just got the Lawton pads to measure with the Denons before review.

please test straight away! YAY looking forward to it.

I really hope it brings up the mid. One query I saw on headphone.com that the D5000 has lower sub bass than the D7000, but I don't think it showed on your graph.

thanks for the testing, maybe you could also review how the pads sound with thed5000 ie less more punchy etc.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back