Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,951 of 5,248
Can anyone help me with my predicament?

I recabled my D2000s on my own, and I just noticed after doing it that my left driver has almost no bass response, (I estimate between 400-20Hz). So I'm wondering, will Denon let me RMA despite the recable, or can I buy a new driver? Perhaps someone here has a stock cable I could buy (mine was accidentally thrown away) so I can put that back on to RMA the headphones. Any advice would be helpful, I really enjoy these cans and want them working at their full potential.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,952 of 5,248

Quote:

I recabled my D2000s on my own, and I just noticed after doing it that my left driver has almost no bass response, (I estimate between 400-20Hz). So I'm wondering, will Denon let me RMA despite the recable, or can I buy a new driver? Perhaps someone here has a stock cable I could buy (mine was accidentally thrown away) so I can put that back on to RMA the headphones. Any advice would be helpful, I really enjoy these cans and want them working at their full potential.

You voided the warranty by recabling I'm pretty sure.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,953 of 5,248

Quote:

Hm...you voided the warranty by recabling - that's why i don't want to recable just yet.
U should check the connections...as that recable might have been done "faulty"

As I have NO EXPERIENCE with cabling or recabling - I would suggest to ask possibly on the DIY forums + hope for someone who recabled to give some advice.
In the mean time, I would take pictures of the recabling (internally) and post it here.

2 solutions are here:
-You screwed up the DIY, all you need to do is "fix it"
-Unfortunately, and coincidentally the bass has gone on one of the drivers whilst re-cabling. You would I THINK, have to re-solder the original wire and send it in for an RMA or something...however I don't have high hopes for you, as Denon might be able to see straight away, after opening it...

Quote:
You voided the warranty by recabling I'm pretty sure.

Indeed he did

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,955 of 5,248
I had the soldering iron set pretty low, so I doubt that it hurt the driver, I think it was just that way to being with and I didn't notice it until after I recabled it. Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement driver somewhere and just install it myself?

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,957 of 5,248
I don't have the original sadly but I'll try soldering on a different brand of wire.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,958 of 5,248
Before I join this club too, I was wondering how this sounds on classical.
Currently I have the Q701 and will probably keep these as well as maybe purchasing a D5000 for the (I want sub)bass
Now the D5000 will be my other can for all my other listening than classical for Q701.
Still, I wanted to know how the D5000's do. Currently, the Q701 is slightly brighter than I want it to be during high violin solo's - especially for poorer recordings. I use EQ to fix this for home use but maybe I might take the D5000's to work and since I listen to majority classical, was wondering how these will do o.o

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,959 of 5,248
Before I join this club too, I was wondering how this sounds on classical.
Currently I have the Q701 and will probably keep these as well as maybe purchasing a D5000 for the (I want sub)bass
Now the D5000 will be my other can for all my other listening than classical for Q701.
Still, I wanted to know how the D5000's do. Currently, the Q701 is slightly brighter than I want it to be during high violin solo's - especially for poorer recordings. I use EQ to fix this for home use but maybe I might take the D5000's to work and since I listen to majority classical, was wondering how these will do o.o

The Denon D5000 headphones are one of the best headphones I have heard for classical music.
Here is a Denon D5000 review from a classical sound engineer: http://www.amazon.com/review/RILOSWBSIQL6B/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000MVEC10&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #1,960 of 5,248
Quote:
The Denon D5000 headphones are one of the best headphones I have heard for classical music.
Here is a Denon D5000 review from a classical sound engineer: http://www.amazon.com/review/RILOSWBSIQL6B/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000MVEC10&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Yes, I actually remember reading that and it is what started leaning me toward the D5000; however, this man (or woman)'s opinion seems like it was his/her first headphone from speakers. I would love to know someone who had both the Q701 (or some open variant) and the D5000. Though soundstage is nothing too huge for me to lose, I would love something that can smooth the treble / sibilance 

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,961 of 5,248

Quote:
Yes, I actually remember reading that and it is what started leaning me toward the D5000; however, this man (or woman)'s opinion seems like it was his/her first headphone from speakers. I would love to know someone who had both the Q701 (or some open variant) and the D5000. Though soundstage is nothing too huge for me to lose, I would love something that can smooth the treble / sibilance 

Tho very good cans, I preferred the k701 over my d2000 for classical music, especially pianos, strings... Denons only faired close against the akg in classicals with big sounds, like symphonies where the brass, the drums the everything just hit and do their magic.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,963 of 5,248
You could try getting the dust out by using some tape or something, but I am still waiting for my D2000 so I am not sure which fabric you mean.  I assume the one in front of the drivers on almost all headphones.

What is everyone's favorite dac/amp combo to use with their D2000?  I have been looking at Martix Cube and NFB-12.  I am not sure which ones work best with low impedance headphones. 

I already have an E7/E9, but looking to switch to something with a better dac with optical input that can be switched between usb and optical from the front panel.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,965 of 5,248
Can anybody compare the Denon D2000 to the Sennheiser HD25-1-II's?

I am considering of probably selling the Senns and getting the Denons, but never actually listened to the Denon D2000s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back