Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #1,877 of 5,248
If you can get them at the $200+ mark the Denons are very much worth the money. Plus they hold their resale value so in the event you don't like them you can sell them at a slight  loss (demo fee :wink:)

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,878 of 5,248
I just called J&R and ordered a pair of D2000 for $210 shipped (thanks to some reports around here).  They are not in stock right now, but I was told more are on the way.  This thread convinced me that these should be my next headphones.  I have two questions, if anyone is willing to indulge me:

1.  How long do the pads last on these?  I wear glasses and worry about the pleather starting to chip off down the line.  Of course Lawton angle pads may be a future purchase.

2.  This has been discussed to death, but I feel the need to ask again.  What amp to get?  I have an E9, but I am looking to upgrade.  I know I want one with less then 4 ohms of output impedance (edit: 3 ohms or less), so I am thinking about the O2, but it is just too small and I don't like the inputs on the front.  Is anyone making desktop O2s?  Or is there a better option around $200 (or more if a decent dac is integrated)?  I am also going to check out Little Dot I+ to see how tubes sound.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,879 of 5,248
Hi, just curious about the amp upgrade. My understanding is when you use the 1/4" input on the E9 the impedance mis-match is resolved. I have an E9 with the D5000s which I think sounds terrific. But I'm also considering an upgrade to the Little Dot I/II or the Asgard. The question is will there be a noticeable difference, or is chasing the next level of AQ part of this disease(hobby).

Quote:
I
2.  This has been discussed to death, but I feel the need to ask again.  What amp to get?  I have an E9, but I am looking to upgrade.  I know I want one with less then 4 ohms of output impedance (edit: 3 ohms or less), so I am thinking about the O2, but it is just too small and I don't like the inputs on the front.  Is anyone making desktop O2s?  Or is there a better option around $200 (or more if a decent dac is integrated)?  I am also going to check out Little Dot I+ to see how tubes sound.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,880 of 5,248

Quote:
I just called J&R and ordered a pair of D2000 for $210 shipped (thanks to some reports around here).  They are not in stock right now, but I was told more are on the way.  This thread convinced me that these should be my next headphones.  I have two questions, if anyone is willing to indulge me:

1.  How long do the pads last on these?  I wear glasses and worry about the pleather starting to chip off down the line.  Of course Lawton angle pads may be a future purchase.

I have a pair of Lawton audio d-5000 which is same driver as d-2000 and i am running them with  a BURSON 160DS amp/dac output impedance on that is 5 ohms sounds really good.better than essence stx soundcard but still using soundcard as dac for MK3 The BURSON is in the $900.00 range and the LITTLEDOT MK3 which i got used for $260.00 new is around $400.00 not shure. Of course the BURSON sounds a lot better than the MK3 but the MK3 still sounds very good so i swicht from time to time i love the look of tubes and tube rolling is fun. but if i would start over again i would definitely go with a tube amp just for the tube rolling the looks and it also sounds good so much fun .and for the pads well i ware glasses to ive had mine for 6 months and no signs of wear but i am expecting the lawton pads soon should be alot thicker more room for the ears and i heard better soundstage.Also this headphone is not for people on the go its more for home use it doesnt clamp down to much on your head for D-5000 anyways as for mods and wood cups so nice and bass is more under control.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,881 of 5,248
Dennito:  I haven't received my D2000s yet, but I have heard that the E9 works well with them.  I don't anticipate an impedance mis-match because of the 2 ohm output impedance on the E9, I just want to see how much better a "better" amp sounds.  I will probably be using a solid state amp most of the time and just use a tube amp for music (all from my PC, probably upgrading from E7 to HRT Music Streamer II).

Mikelap: I am more concerned about the pads after 4-5 years of use.  I have a pair of ATH-A500s that started to chip and leave little black specs all around my ears that were very difficult to get off (sometimes they stuck on even after a shower).  I know that my friend's Bose Triports did this to him as well.  I cut the tops off of some women's sock-type leggings and slipped them over the pads to solve the problem, but I would rather have pads that didn't do this.  Also, it is good to know tube amps are fun.  I plan on keeping a Little Dot I+ for fun and a slightly better solid state to use most of the time.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,882 of 5,248

Quote:
Dennito:  I haven't received my D2000s yet, but I have heard that the E9 works well with them.  I don't anticipate an impedance mis-match because of the 2 ohm output impedance on the E9, I just want to see how much better a "better" amp sounds.  I will probably be using a solid state amp most of the time and just use a tube amp for music (all from my PC, probably upgrading from E7 to HRT Music Streamer II).

Mikelap: I am more concerned about the pads after 4-5 years of use.  I have a pair of ATH-A500s that started to chip and leave little black specs all around my ears that were very difficult to get off (sometimes they stuck on even after a shower).  I know that my friend's Bose Triports did this to him as well.  I cut the tops off of some women's sock-type leggings and slipped them over the pads to solve the problem, but I would rather have pads that didn't do this.  Also, it is good to know tube amps are fun.  I plan on keeping a Little Dot I+ for fun and a slightly better solid state to use most of the time.

lawton audio  pads are  made of lamdskin suppose to be very good and last  !

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,883 of 5,248
I've had my MD-5000 for almost three years to the month. I'm not sure what Lawton does these days with the pads, but my mods from back then included overstuffed factory pads. To this day the pads look great, seem to have held their puffiness, and show no sign of deterioration. I haven't heard that the D2000 pads are different than the D5000, so I wouldn't worry about their construction.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,884 of 5,248
This is all good to know.  I plan on buying the DIY kit from Lawton Audio to make MD-2000 at some point in the future as well.  I have also been reading up on the desktop version of the O2, called the ODA, that is supposed to be in the works.  There will also be a very well designed DAC to go with it.  I am going to wait for that as my next solid state upgrade.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,885 of 5,248
Just snagged Marty from Martin Custom Audio's pair of d5k's. Great deal, sexy, sexy headphones. This is my first head-fi purchase next to my Maverick Audio D1...my first good pair of cans. 

'

can't wait till they get here friday! What's the best portable amp to match with these? Anything in the ~200 dollar range? I was looking at the O2  originally but are there any better pairings to be had? 

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,886 of 5,248

Quote:
Just snagged Marty from Martin Custom Audio's pair of d5k's. Great deal, sexy, sexy headphones. This is my first head-fi purchase next to my Maverick Audio D1...my first good pair of cans. 

'

can't wait till they get here friday! What's the best portable amp to match with these? Anything in the ~200 dollar range? I was looking at the O2  originally but are there any better pairings to be had? 

oh...my god.
That is beautiful.

Out of interest how much did it cost 0.0?
without base unit cost?

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #1,887 of 5,248
Got em for $620 total, his personal set.... and thanks for the positive comments! I've been on the fence about headphones for so long, trying to decide between some Grado RS1s, a full custom job from Marty, or these which popped up on his site for sale a week or two ago. 

I've never wrapped my head in any Denon cans before...I'm thinking I made the right choice though! absolutely pumped for them. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,888 of 5,248

Quote:
Got em for $620 total, his personal set.... and thanks for the positive comments! I've been on the fence about headphones for so long, trying to decide between some Grado RS1s, a full custom job from Marty, or these which popped up on his site for sale a week or two ago. 

I've never wrapped my head in any Denon cans before...I'm thinking I made the right choice though! absolutely pumped for them. 

not only do these look beautiful mate, but the D2k/d5k's sound brilliant too.
For that price, and for those mods - well worth it.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,889 of 5,248
I Just got my Denon AH-D2000's in the mail yesterday (they were given to me as a gift?!).  I've had Audio Technica ATH-M50's for a while now, and i absolutely loved them.  They were my first pair of good headphones and they really wowed me.  There's really just no comparison though,  Since i've gotten my D2000's out of the box all i've done is listen to music.  So far i've put about 12 hours on them.  I work full time and have to sleep.  So thats my time off yesterday, and the 3 hours i've been off so far today.  These headphones are about as good as its going to get for me for quite a while, and i'm more than ok with that.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,890 of 5,248
Decided to pull the trigger on the D2000.  Didn't want to burn this much money and kind of regretted buying them.  But getting them in the mail and listening to them, that feeling is disappearing real quick.  I'm liking the sound more than my GR07 so far.  Going to listen to it some more after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back