Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,516 of 5,248
Volume would be enough. My friend tried my E7/9 combo with his D2000 and has decided to buy it straight away. From what he said, the bass is much more controlled . I agree with him. Bass went from Booom to Bom.

And now my bass became a BOMM

Quote:
Bought a D2000 for a laptop gaming, do I need an amp like e7 + e9 combo or is my laptop enough to drive it  ?

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #1,518 of 5,248
With a laptop you need an amp. The D2000 is pretty efficient and low impedance, but generally needs a bit more current than most cheaper OPAMPs will provide. To me at least it was never satisfactory being run directly from any device that wasn't actually capable of more than the usual. (Just for instance, it sounds great on my Cowon D2 DAP and my Archos 43 "Internet Tablet", but sounded absolutely horrible from onboard devices, my PSP, DS, and etc.)

Note that the E7/E9 aren't just amplifiers, but actual USB DACs with amplification as a nice bonus. If you wanted amplification alone, the far cheaper E5 will work in instead of those two (though I'd imagine it's probably not the best matched for the D2000 for cheaper prices? I can tell you I wasn't happy with the CMOY using an OPA2132 however... I wasn't happy with the OPA2227 with any headphones either, but especially not with the D2000s. I can't say on any others available to the CMOY though.) Of course, an E7 or E9 should sound a lot better than the crappy builtin SPUs on most if not all laptops and probably most if not all onboard SPUs in any desktops (as well as a number of soundcards.) If nothing else, they tend to be less inclined to pick up noise from nearby components. Anyway, in other words, if you're actually wanting a USB DAC, you should probably go ahead with one that can handle headphones properly (since a line output isn't going to cut it anyway.) If you just want an amp, get just an amp.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #1,519 of 5,248
If you have $80, I would suggest the FiiO E10 instead. Smaller and also more than enough power for the Denons. It is a DAC/AMP and is only one unit. You loose the portability from the E7 and the extra power from the E9 (both are unbearably loud to my ears after a certain point).

Only down side of the E10 is you must strictly use it with your laptop/pc. It does not function by its own. Perfect for your situation I will say. The only cheaper alternative would be the Hifiman HM101, but never got hands on that one.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #1,521 of 5,248
Any amp with any headphones can pick up more noise. Use a proper setup with proper cables and don't set your cellphone right on top of the amp or something silly like that and you should be fine. Good modern amps really have such low noise floors that you won't really hear anything being produced by the amp itself unless the amp is basically absolute junk (and the cool thing about Fiio is even their cheap amps are actually quite surprisingly good for their prices.)

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #1,522 of 5,248

Quote:
I actually think that while the D2000 are very comfortable, their clamping force seems to be too small for me. I don't know, maybe my head is a little smaller than the average head (I am pretty short as well).

Anything I could do? Would the Jmoney pads help with this, seeing as their seem a bit larger/thicker? Would the Jmoney pads help with overall comfort as well? I suppose they change the sound a bit, but I could research that part on my own.

The JMoney definitely help with the clamping force.

I can't comment much on the sound as I didn't run it too long with the original pads, but I will say this, the D2000s with the J$ pards are by far the most comfortable set of headphones I've ever put on my head.  The thing about it is, I can keep them there almost all day and not be bothered.  The only time I don't use them much is in the thick of the summer, but that's like 2 months out of the year and it's much worse with other headphones (I only use IEMs around that time).

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #1,523 of 5,248

Quote:
The JMoney definitely help with the clamping force.

I can't comment much on the sound as I didn't run it too long with the original pads, but I will say this, the D2000s with the J$ pards are by far the most comfortable set of headphones I've ever put on my head.  The thing about it is, I can keep them there almost all day and not be bothered.  The only time I don't use them much is in the thick of the summer, but that's like 2 months out of the year and it's much worse with other headphones (I only use IEMs around that time).

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind if it gets too uncomfy with the clamping force. As said, I probably have a smaller head so this problem is probably very rare - however, I feel like I am already getting used to it. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,524 of 5,248
Hi

I've decided to get D5000's as my first "good" headphone. All I  need now is an amp/dac.

I'll be playing music off of the computer. It doesn't have to be portable. Can be separate or a combo. I've read ss amps are better for Denons. I don't have a budget but I'm looking for something that will give me the best bang for buck while not holding back the Denons.

Been looking at something like M Stage + udac/ibasso/dacport or Audio gd amp/dac combo (not sure which one though)

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,525 of 5,248
[size=medium]I am really being blown away by my new Denon AH-D5000 cans. They are very musical and involving while being very accurate through the whole spectrum. Just like other posts that say you can throw anything or genre at them and love it. I am really back into listening with them and I have put aside the Grado for a while but I will keep both for variety. I am glad I didn't go for the 7000 because I would want them balanced and need a different amp then plus upgraded source probably. These are the perfect sound and performance I thought I would never hear. I go as far as they sound about as good as my Krell/B&W N802 system and they are 1/40th the price, WOW that is sick![/size]

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,526 of 5,248

I use a DACport LX with my UHA4/ or Fiio E9 amp. They pair very well together. I use ASIO in bit perfect playback (I think that's what its called).
Quote:
Hi

I've decided to get D5000's as my first "good" headphone. All I  need now is an amp/dac.

I'll be playing music off of the computer. It doesn't have to be portable. Can be separate or a combo. I've read ss amps are better for Denons. I don't have a budget but I'm looking for something that will give me the best bang for buck while not holding back the Denons.

Been looking at something like M Stage + udac/ibasso/dacport or Audio gd amp/dac combo (not sure which one though)

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #1,527 of 5,248

Quote:

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind if it gets too uncomfy with the clamping force. As said, I probably have a smaller head so this problem is probably very rare - however, I feel like I am already getting used to it. 

I had the same problem as you and the J$ pads helped me as well. I feel the bass tightened up because it didnt leak out as much, so with the J$ I get more of a thump. I really dont think it did much for the highs and mids but its been almost year since I heard these stock.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,528 of 5,248

Quote:
Hi

If the dacport is anything like the dacmini, then that'd be my choice.

But I've only heard the uDac out of that list and man is it ... not good (unless you like tinny metal sounding headphones)

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,530 of 5,248

Quote:
I had the same problem as you and the J$ pads helped me as well. I feel the bass tightened up because it didnt leak out as much, so with the J$ I get more of a thump. I really dont think it did much for the highs and mids but its been almost year since I heard these stock.

Wow, that sounds pretty great. They can look pretty awesome as well, as long as one gets a quality looking pair (I've seen some of the worse batches people has gotten..).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back