Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,531 of 5,248

Quote:
If the dacport is anything like the dacmini, then that'd be my choice.

But I've only heard the uDac out of that list and man is it ... not good (unless you like tinny metal sounding headphones)

I'm not a 100% sure but I think the DACport is similar to the mini. I assume the mini is better due to its amp section and other things though. They truly do pair well together as do all my other IEMs.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,532 of 5,248
What about the NFB-11 or NFB-12 as a DAC/AMP? Currently have the E7/9 and I do believe that is the bottleneck of my rig...

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #1,533 of 5,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not a 100% sure but I think the DACport is similar to the mini. I assume the mini is better due to its amp section and other things though. They truly do pair well together as do all my other IEMs.

Quote:

That would probably be disusssed in the Equipment Forums > Headphone amps or Dedicated Source Components?

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,535 of 5,248

Quote:
Why the big letters?  Are you shouting?  We can discuss amplification here.

NO THAT WOULD BE ALL CAPS! (SHOUTING)

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #1,537 of 5,248

Quote:

Point still stands, it's ok for people to chime in this thread and ask what we're using for amping or for amping suggestions.  That's how I started.  

Rocker try the open-back mod :), you won't regret it (doesn't need to be permanent to test and easily reversible).

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,538 of 5,248
Well my love for the Denon D2000s has led me to buy the D1100.

Since I don't plan on taking my D2000s with me to work (where I undoubtedly have more time to listen to music), I've decided to give the D1100s a try.  I'm hoping it stays true to the Denon house sound.  I recently tried the Sony ZX700s which sounded fantastic (killer mids) but are incredibly uncomfortable.  So I'm hoping this works out better for me comfort-wise.  I could've grown to love the mid-centric ZX700s, but my heart is always with the bassy Denon sound.

@Lee 730:  I mean if you mean taking off the cup and giving it a listen, I may try it.  But considering my current living situation, I can't listen to open headphones in peace.  Now I know the D2000s aren't the most isolated, but they don't leak like open or semi-open cans, plus the JMoney pads I got have really helped muffle it so it works without waking up my girlfriend (prime listening time for me is 10pm to 12 am).

Maybe on a lazy Sunday I'll give it a shot.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,540 of 5,248

Quote:

Since I don't plan on taking my D2000s with me to work (where I undoubtedly have more time listen to music), I've decided to give the D1100s a try.  I'm hoping it stays true to the Denon house sound.  I recently tried the Sony ZX700s which sounded fantastic (killer mids) but where incredibly uncomfortable.  So I'm hoping this works out better for me comfort-wise.  I could've grown to love the mid-centric ZX700s, but my heart is always with the bassy Denon sound.

@Lee 730:  I mean if you mean taking off the cup and giving it a listen, I may try it.  But considering my current living situation, I can't listen to open headphones in peace.  Now I know the D2000s aren't the most isolated, but they don't leak like open or semi-open cans, plus the JMoney pads I got have really helped muffle it so it works without waking up my girlfriend (prime listening time for me is 10pm to 12 am).

Pretty much that will have the biggest effect. I'm not sure how your custom ear pads will do but I bet if it takes you further from the driver it would have the same effect as placing the stock cups on the driver instead of locking it to the driver.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,541 of 5,248

Quote:

Since I don't plan on taking my D2000s with me to work (where I undoubtedly have more time listen to music), I've decided to give the D1100s a try.  I'm hoping it stays true to the Denon house sound.  I recently tried the Sony ZX700s which sounded fantastic (killer mids) but where incredibly uncomfortable.  So I'm hoping this works out better for me comfort-wise.  I could've grown to love the mid-centric ZX700s, but my heart is always with the bassy Denon sound.

Let us know how you feel about the D1100. I am a very happy owner of those. Will upgrade to D2000 as soon as I can.

Would be nice to hear of other people that tried the Fiio E10 with the D2000. Price is great, and it's pretty much like a cheap ibasso mamba, which is the one I was considering.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #1,542 of 5,248

Quote:

Let us know how you feel about the D1100. I am a very happy owner of those. Will upgrade to D2000 as soon as I can.

Would be nice to hear of other people that tried the Fiio E10 with the D2000. Price is great, and it's pretty much like a cheap ibasso mamba, which is the one I was considering.

I have both and to me they sound really good. I haven't heard those über expensive DACs out there, so I can't compare - however they sound great together. That little thing is quite powerful as well.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,543 of 5,248

Quote:
Hey guys, sorry to bud in randomly, but i cant seem to easily find an awnser. 

Do the D2000s and D5000s use a different driver? Or are the main/only differences in the cups and cable? 

Would really love to get an awnser if anyone knows. If theres a major difference(besides cups and cables) i would consider the d5000s in my upcoming purchase.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #1,544 of 5,248

Quote:
Would really love to get an awnser if anyone knows. If theres a major difference(besides cups and cables) i would consider the d5000s in my upcoming purchase.

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/denon-ah-d2000-vs-ah-d5000-183841.html

Read that review. That avatar looks just like a headfier's avatar so I am sure its the same person. According to his review the D5000s are better overall than the 2000. More detailed (micro detail) more sub bass and less mid bass than the 2000. Mids are not recessed at all and are more lush and detailed. Timbre is better due to wood cups I'm sure. And turning my Denon 5000s into open back has made them that much better. Bass still has impact but is very controlled, treble is sparkly like EX1000 presentation. Mids are more pronounced and detailed. An overall great investment IMO. But if I didn't mod the 5000s I would have sold them honestly. But thanks to the mod I don't even feel like upgrading my full size cans anytime soon.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,545 of 5,248
Hi.

I've been thinking of getting myself the Pro 900's as well, because they seem to be a little more aggressive than the D2000, which is to my liking. I will be keeping the D2000 as well. However, I'm kind of wondering if there is anything I could do to the D2000 (not modding, these are my birthday gift - think more as in amping) to get them a tad bit more "aggressive". I love my M50 for that "aggression", however, I'd like to upgrade from M50's. My plan is to keep the M50's for portable use on the subway..

The D2000 are a little laidback which is truly wonderful to some music, but for those fast paced, more complex, EDM tracks they can feel a little slow. What do you guys recommend?

Stick with my FiiO E10 and go for the Pro 900 as complement to my D2000, or perhaps look at some other, more powerful amping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back