Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #1,501 of 5,248

Quote:
I have never heard of DAKmart until you mentioned them but I do see they are listed on Denon's website. Do you have experience buying from them? Good customer service? Would you consider their headphones good as new? I buy refurbed Apple products and they are indistinguishable from band new with the same warranty.

*nevermind. Their seller ratings are abysmal. 

Sorry for replying to your comment late. Accidentally bypassed it lol. Yes I have purchased from DAKmart earlier this year. It was a refurbished pair of IE7s and they were an excellent deal $99.00 when compared to up to $300.00 retail. Communication was decent. And when I was under the impression they weren't Sennheiser certified (this was false BTW) they communicated with me expediently and reassured me that they are indeed Authorized dealers. Especially if you are in the US you can't go wrong with them. You can buy a 2 year warranty from square trade on refurbished items and in the event they break within that period, square trade will refund you your total paid for the item. If you go this route PM me and I'll give you a coupon to save you money on the warranty. Good luck. (I was also skeptical at first from some of the ratings they have.) You have to keep in mind the owner is a good seller but he doesn't take kindly to rude-overbearing-customers. You treat him like crap and he'll do the same.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #1,502 of 5,248

Quote:
I'll be the first to say that burn-in does exist

You're definitely not the first to say that. 
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,504 of 5,248
You're definitely not the first to say that. :p

Well, that's really just a figure of speech.

You'll have those though who will call you out on it and say there is no evidence of such phenomena and its just in our heads :).

There may actually be some small amount of evidence: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20061153-47.html And that just measures frequency responses. I'd imagine there are other factors as well. He's not really willing to admit that the differences guaranteed anything -- and I'd never claim that one test alone is a sufficient test anyway -- but the point is that there is at least one test by a skeptic that does show results even if they are relatively subtle.

Actually, I'd really rather see proof that there is absolutely no possibility whatsoever that either thin material (usually plastic which is already known to be affected by bending and such) stretched out over an electro magnet nor the materials in the magnet itself could possibly be changed by moving tens of thousands of times every second for hundreds of hours in total right after they had first been put together by a bunch of mass production machines that must have variances (nothing in true mass production can ever be 100% down to a microscopic level.) Until I see scientific evidence of it, I won't believe such an illogical thing.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,505 of 5,248
i live in finland and d2000 cost here over 300e at least, i saw them on amazon under 200gbp and ordered them and they are again 250 gpp so i think i made pretty good deal. I have nuforce udac 2 is it good enough for these phones?

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,506 of 5,248
uDac 2 is not a neutral device and i'm pretty sure it will give you way too much bass/treble and nowhere near enough midrange.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #1,507 of 5,248
not a fan of the original uDac personally.  Besides the pot issues (which to be fair is a problem a lot of amps have), I found the sound to be a bit too harsh and forward.  It just wasn't the sound I was looking for when I sat down to listen to music.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,508 of 5,248
Got two packs of blutack prepared tonight and mod'd my pair of D2000. Here is what I've done:

• J$ Pads
  • Removed the white fiberloth/cotton ring inside the D2000 cups
  • Spread a layer of Bluetack over the whole cup, including the round hard plastic disk in the centre of the ear cups
  • Rolled out two 'sausages' of bluetack and circled the smallest ring at the back of the driver

My pair of Denon came with the J$ Pads. By performing steps 2-4, I've actually gotten more bass - very deep heart pounding bass. Liking it so far.

Any suggestions on how I can further improve the sound of them?

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,509 of 5,248
Anyone listened to Painkiller - Judas Priest on the D2K? Used to quite enjoy that song on my old rig (PortaPros out of internal soundcard, aw yeah) but I can't even listen to it now that I have the D2K. The sibilance is extreme. Just curious if it's just me or the recording+these headphones doesn't work.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #1,510 of 5,248
A bit of both perhaps.  The D2000 does have a treble spike, and it's not the most refined treble, so it can lead to exaggerating a lot of sibilance.  On the other hand, sibilance has a lot to do with the recording as well.  

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,511 of 5,248

Quote:
Got two packs of blutack prepared tonight and mod'd my pair of D2000. Here is what I've done:

• J$ Pads
  • Removed the white fiberloth/cotton ring inside the D2000 cups
  • Spread a layer of Bluetack over the whole cup, including the round hard plastic disk in the centre of the ear cups
  • Rolled out two 'sausages' of bluetack and circled the smallest ring at the back of the driver

My pair of Denon came with the J$ Pads. By performing steps 2-4, I've actually gotten more bass - very deep heart pounding bass. Liking it so far.

Any suggestions on how I can further improve the sound of them?

Try and take of the plastic cups and place them on the side for the time being. Unclip your ear pads and just place them onto the frame of the driver instead of having them locked in place. Try and see if you like the sound this way (open-back mod).

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,512 of 5,248
I actually think that while the D2000 are very comfortable, their clamping force seems to be too small for me. I don't know, maybe my head is a little smaller than the average head (I am pretty short as well).

Anything I could do? Would the Jmoney pads help with this, seeing as their seem a bit larger/thicker? Would the Jmoney pads help with overall comfort as well? I suppose they change the sound a bit, but I could research that part on my own.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #1,514 of 5,248

Quote:
You'd be surprised at how much just adjusting the angle of the actual cans do.  I've heard mixed opinions on the JMoneys and comfort.  

I'll try that before ordering new pads. Thing is that I kind of like the stock pads - they seem very comfortable. It's just that the clamping force hasn't been the best.

It's not like the cans fall off or anything, but since they're not clamping like I'm used to, I have this little insecure feeling that I can't turn my head as fast as I'm used to and so on. Of course, this problem might be more psychological than an actual problem, but it's a bit annoying at the same time. Perhaps I'll get used to it in time tho.. I have had these cans just for about a week now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back