Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,471 of 5,248
Thank you for the update, I order from JR because of your post :D

I have no idea how you took my post for a "go ahead and order" lol. Yeah, I got them for a great price but I have no clue when I'll actually see them. Even though I ordered 2 weeks ago, JR still hasnt heard anything from denon since october 3rd. They got a tiny shipment in last monday but they have no clue when they are expecting another shipment and keep giving me the same "5-7 business days" run around.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #1,472 of 5,248
They leak loads of sound but so do the HD555s and D2000s!

The D2000s don't leak ntan wurt though. I mean, yeah they do leak, but overall they're not bad at all and if, just for instance, you listened to music fairly loudly in, say, a library, unless someone was sitting at the same table, I doubt anyone would really ask you to turn them down or something (well, not that I've tested this very thoroughly, but I did try to test the sound leakage levels a bit by putting them on something that fully covered the insides like a real head would do and I couldn't help but to think that the actual level leaking wasn't half bad at all.) Really, though, I'm convinced that that little "vent" is part of why they sound so good really. It gives them a sort of "bass reflex" type of thing which is probably part of how they manage to do the bass so well and I suspect maybe helps contribute towards their surprisingly good soundstage for a seemingly "closed" cup headphone, so IMO their sound leakage is a plus. d-:

Great sound stage, nice bass, the only thing is that the treble is a small bit harsh. But they seem to be getting better with every hour of burn in.

It never goes completely away though I guess. I love my D2000s, but in the end I guess my ears are just a bit more sensitive towards the frequency ranges right where the D2000s peak or something because at times they just sound almost outright painful to me with just a very rare few songs. I found that the soundstage mod in particular made it worse and ultimately had to give up and pull the little plastic cup pieces out of the cushions. That made it a little bit better for me and if you're running stock obviously you'd never have that particular issue, but for me even without that the highs can be a tad rough on me at times.

Actually, I truly hate to say it, but I'm seriously considering giving up and selling my MarkL-modded D2000s. I recently got some Sennheiser HD555s, modded them into HD595s (eg pulled out the "surround reflector" foam pieces -- it truly is quite messed up that, sonically, the only real difference between the $350 and the $150 sets is that they actually ADD something to the cheaper set) and then did the soundstage mod and now I'm finding that I'd rather listen with my HD555s as blasphemous as that might sound. I guess I kind of like the Sennheiser sound better (at the risk of being chased out of here with stones, lol.) How much does a used but modded pair sell for these days anyway (the mod has to be worth somewhat on its own, right?) I'm trying to convince myself to sell them, but I have to admit, I do love them. (What I really wish I could do is find a family member who would buy them. Then at least they'd stay in the family, lol. I'm the only one in my family who even knows what a headphone amp is though, much less ever spent anything serious on sound equipment -- unless you count some absolutely horrid sounding Bluetooth headphones my mother once got that make me want to gouge my ears out...) How does anyone part with these once they have them? Lol. But it's just sad having them sitting there gathering dust -- especially given that I could use the money. (But then, it probably wouldn't last all that terribly long anyway. My credit card bills alone are killing me. That's the worst part. Even if I gave up and sold them, it probably wouldn't go towards anything nicer than catching up a bit more on everything. That makes it all the harder to give them up even though I probably should...)

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,473 of 5,248
What's with everyone selling their D2000, right after I've bid for one on EBay?
Could have listed it say a week ago!

----------------------------------
^ That's alright. Senn and the Denon do have a very different sound signature. I myself do not find the mids to be recessed - might be due to getting used to the TF10. A few notches up with the volume and everything is fine except more exciting sound. Happy listening!

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,474 of 5,248

Haha No worries, I knew what I was getting into. It is a hell of a deal to get that price from an authorized retailer.
Quote:
I have no idea how you took my post for a "go ahead and order" lol. Yeah, I got them for a great price but I have no clue when I'll actually see them. Even though I ordered 2 weeks ago, JR still hasnt heard anything from denon since october 3rd. They got a tiny shipment in last monday but they have no clue when they are expecting another shipment and keep giving me the same "5-7 business days" run around.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #1,475 of 5,248
yeah, seriously. No matter which way you cut it, 100 bucks off the price, no taxes, no shipping. Unless they said they wont have any in stock for more than 3 months theres no way i'd let that deal pass me up. If it took them longer than that I'd consider paying full retail because I would have saved up that much by then, but this way I can save up on the side for a proper amp.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,477 of 5,248
What's with everyone selling their D2000, right after I've bid for one on EBay?
Could have listed it say a week ago!

If it makes you feel better, I haven't actually convinced myself to do it just yet. I just really need to. It's hard to give these things up as they are still quite incredible. Plus I feel kind of guilty since I've probably only put in 400-500 hours or so on them. (200 of which was just the burnin, so doesn't really count...) I always thought from what people were saying that Sennheisers would just sound too dull for me. (Of course, I was mostly looking at closed cup headphones at the time and it gets trickier there. These HD555s could not possibly be more open. Literally. I didn't just do the soundstage mod of removing the inner plastic, but removed the outer metal as well, lol.) I should have tested a bit more, but honestly, there wasn't much I could really do. (No decent Hi-Fi shops around here. Unless you believe the BOSE people, but, uh, yeah no...)

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #1,478 of 5,248
^ oh I wasn't aiming that at you, just a general comment if you check the FS forum. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #1,481 of 5,248
i added a circular round piece of thick felt to the center backsides of my D2000 cups a couple of months ago - http://www.lowes.com/pd_54164-255-4740095N_0__?productId=3034727&Ntt=felt&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dfelt&facetInfo= .  any heavy duty furniture/floor-protecting felt should work.  i think this stuff is around 3mm or so.  the felt brings the mid-range forward a bit.

the stock cable is stranded copper around 24awg.  i replaced it with some plain 22awg stranded copper Mogami 2534.  i honestly wasn't expecting a difference - i just wanted to get rid of the ergonomically crap stock.  wow, the difference is pretty obvious and for the better.  the D2000 is probably the most balanced top to bottom headphone i've ever owned.  the Mogami:
-pushes the mids forward into the mix.
-the bass sounds more linear and not disconnected from the rest of the freq spectrum.  it's deep and extended without bloat but over-all quantity and impact are reduced.
-softer treble without sibilance or etch.  
-the entire freq balance sounds like it's "cut from the same cloth".  the bass, mids and treble are perfectly balanced for my tastes.

if you like the freq balance of the stock D2000, don't recable with Mogami.  please note, i'm using JMoney pads.  i have not done any comparisons with stock pads.  no, my D2000 don't have the expansive soundstage of the K702, but the JMoney pads really do improve instrument separation over the stock pads. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,483 of 5,248
I feel like they've got to come back down there sooner or later. They were down there at this time last year for quite a while. I keep checking practically every day. Now Amazon doesn't even have the 2000 in stock.

The D2000 is out of stock from Denon US too. I've called multiple times since october 23 to figure out whtas going on, but they have heard nothing from their supplier (presumably denon japan). JR has them on backorder for a LONG time, and the last time they heard anything from Denon was on October 3rd.

I almost feel like Denon is attempting to upgrade the D2,5,7000 somehow. Possibly a quality control thing or maybe something else. Either that or they are just completely out of stock on parts themselves, having just released like 6 new headphones. I was afraid initially that they would discontinue the D2000 but considering they have nothing else to replace them (D1100 is the closest, and that comes nowhere close) I find it highly unlikely that they are going to discontinue. Maybe they are fixing the screw issue I keep hearing things about.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,484 of 5,248
I'm beginning to realize how revealing my open-back denon 5000s are. They literally rip the music apart and show you the recording (including the flaws). I thought the hiss I'm hearing in some tracks was due to the source but its not at all. Its these specific recordings. So if the recording isn't so good it won't sound good on these cans.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,485 of 5,248
Just got my D-2000!!! Have them on as I type. Two words. BASS and BASS. Love these. Exactly what I  was looking for. I had my doubts from a few pots and honestly don’t know how these could not be a bass heads dream.  Maybe compared to other cans but for me = perfect.
I’m currently listening to Deadmau5 Cthulhu Sleeps, and these bad boys just really hit.
For a quick back story I have always had sub’s in my cars. Always loved some deep kicking bass. Not disappointed.
Comfort so far is very pleasing, was surprised how light these are.  
My iPod has a handful of random songs and types of music. I really want to test them all out. Just can’t seem to skip my Dub playlist! 
L3000.gif

After a few hours of listening I can check back with updates. Just had to express my current love for my new cans!

Also thanks for the help so far with the few questions I have had. Music is on of the few things I could NEVER live without. These are a key to serenity for me.
Thank you Head-fi!!!    
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back