Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,456 of 5,248
Well a lot of new members ask the same question's here. They provided examples of alot of the same music I like too. They seem to get a few options alot, Ultraone's and Denon's in most posts for good strong bass. The same people have said they really enjoy these so I'm 99% sure I will too. Took a bit of a gamble. I'm deployed so no testing before I buy.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,457 of 5,248

Quote:
Well a lot of new members ask the same question's here. They provided examples of alot of the same music I like too. They seem to get a few options alot, Ultraone's and Denon's in most posts for good strong bass. The same people have said they really enjoy these so I'm 99% sure I will too. Took a bit of a gamble. I'm deployed so no testing before I buy.

You should not worry then. Get back in this thread when you have them. I really want to know what your opinion is :wink:

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,458 of 5,248

Quote:
Well fingers crossed, just jumped in! Ordered me some D2000's!
 Looked, and looked went through tons of threads. Even went through the pages of the Amazon review's. Seems like the D2000 is exactly what I'm looking for.
 Anyways I hate you guys and this site for stealing my hard earned money. And I say that with a smile on my face.
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I sound like a broken record, but make sure you have a good amp/dac to go with it.

sure, an ipod can make them go "loud enough" but a good amp/dac brings them to life.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,459 of 5,248

Quote:
The D2000 has a fairly nice soundstage, but the DT990's sound stage is much better.

The overall balance of the sound on both of them is very similar for both being completely different cans.  They both have a u curve, but the D2000 extends much deeper.  DT990 might be good to about 50hz, but D2000 is solid all the way down to mid 20s hz.

I think D2000 would be your choice for dubstep etc.

Both are comfort juggernauts.  The DT990 has a better long term comfort by a tad amount, and is very spacious.  However, the D2000's fit makes the DT990's fit very clumsy feeling.  I'd say D2000 has way better short term comfort.

Thanks! After looking at some reviews for the D2000, it seems that is the perfect choice for my needs and the price is definitely affordable. I'm going to go with this one.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,460 of 5,248
You won't be disappointed. 

Quote:
Thanks! After looking at some reviews for the D2000, it seems that is the perfect choice for my needs and the price is definitely affordable. I'm going to go with this one.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,461 of 5,248
To the guy who "sounds like a broken record", thanks for breaking!

I keep doubting "hmmmm will i REALLY need an amp or can i just wing it?" Now I know for sure. Im not going to be able to afford it right away by any means, but I'm thinking that for christmas I'll be getting something real nice. Probably iBasso D-Zero or building Mini3+X1. If I go the mini3+X1 route, i'll also be getting a Weller WES51, plus opening the doors to build myself a nice tube amp kit (still researching).

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,462 of 5,248

Quote:
To the guy who "sounds like a broken record", thanks for breaking!
I keep doubting "hmmmm will i REALLY need an amp or can i just wing it?" Now I know for sure. Im not going to be able to afford it right away by any means, but I'm thinking that for christmas I'll be getting something real nice. Probably iBasso D-Zero or building Mini3+X1. If I go the mini3+X1 route, i'll also be getting a Weller WES51, plus opening the doors to build myself a nice tube amp kit (still researching).

yes!

start out slow.

I just don't want you to think it's as good as it gets straight off your laptop or ipod without first trying to get a decent amp/dac.

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #1,463 of 5,248
Received my D2000's on Friday. Coming from HD555's and Beats Studio. Power by an E7. Was a little disappointed on first listen. Didn't have quite the kick/punch on the Beats on some recordings. But as I'm listening to them more I'm getting really impressed. Great sound stage, nice bass, the only thing is that the treble is a small bit harsh. But they seem to be getting better with every hour of burn in. Delighted with them. And I think they look amazing.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,464 of 5,248
Called JR again. they said they still have hhad no contact with denon and dont know when they will be gettig a shipment of them in.... ordered on october 23

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,465 of 5,248
Beats and D2000 both have their different strengths in bass.  Beats focus primarily on midbass impact, while D2000 extends well into the sub-bass.  Some songs with mostly midbass probably wont sound as strong on the D2000 compared to the beats, while some songs with really low bass will sound powerful on the D2000, but anemic on the Beats.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,466 of 5,248
My FiiO E11 has arrived. I charged the thing, plugged my cans, listen to Daft Punk for 10 minutes. I got a killer headache 
gs1000.gif
. That is what I call an amazing investment. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,467 of 5,248

Quote:
Beats and D2000 both have their different strengths in bass.  Beats focus primarily on midbass impact, while D2000 extends well into the sub-bass.  Some songs with mostly midbass probably wont sound as strong on the D2000 compared to the beats, while some songs with really low bass will sound powerful on the D2000, but anemic on the Beats.

Agree 100%. In fairness I will say the beats studio are a good set of headphones. I was intent on not keeping them but I cannot bring myself to send them back. There's no doubt the D2000 is clearer and better for most music but the beats do a mighty fine job on songs that suit them.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,468 of 5,248
Agree 100%. In fairness I will say the beats studio are a good set of headphones. I was intent on not keeping them but I cannot bring myself to send them back. There's no doubt the D2000 is clearer and better for most music but the beats do a mighty fine job on songs that suit them.

Could you compare the beats and the monster turbine (baseline model)? I am about to send mine in for warranty repair and they said they would be able to replace the turbines with the beats studio. I am absolutely sick of how easily the turbines break. Every thing that could possibly go wrong (except the plug) has gone wrong. I am on the verge of saying "screw my 70 bucks" and simply throwing them out, but if the Beats Studio have comparable detail, similar bass, and better build quality/lower rate of failure, I would be more than happy to accept their offer.

I have D2000's coming in once JR finally figures out where their shipments are but I was hoping to give my girlfriend my turbines. I dont feel comfortable giving them to her right now because they are built so terribly that I feel like I would be personally insulting her by giving them to her.

EDIT: if you could PM that to me it would be great, since it isnt really on-topic for this thread.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,470 of 5,248
I haven't heard the turbines I'm afraid, sorry. All I can do is compare the much maligned Beats Studio to the other headphones I have.

The build quality is not great. They creak and feel a bit flimsy. But they are supposed to hold up ok if you look after them.
They look great and are very comfortable.
The sound is definitely bass biased. Some songs you notice it and it's not very good.
On other songs they really sound like a very nice set of headphones.
They leak loads of sound but so do the HD555s and D2000s!

I preferred them to my HD555s. I'm undecided on them vs the D2000 so far but I suspect the D2000's come out on top.

Edit: apologies for the off topic reply I only saw your PM part after I posted. For IEMs I have Klipsh S4s. They are very impressive for the price.

Back on topic:

D2000s are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back