Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 4, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #5,116 of 5,248
I have cups that look very similar to the "post 5080" cups. I bought them in 2015 on eBay from a seller named electrofunk303...I think he may have also been on Head-Fi as well. I bought two pairs, the cedar pictured below (for my D2Ks) and another pair of Monkey Pod that I put on my D7000s. With both, I made my own Lawton mod with Lawton's damping kits and pads, but then used these wood cups from eBay to save on cost (I think they were neighborhood of $100 each). I really love the Fostex headphones - my type of sound signature, and with the mods that tighten them up and widen the soundstage they're dreamy. Now I'm wanting to get a Lawton modified TH900 - this time I think I'd like to get the actual Lawton cups.
Glad you liked them :wink:

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #5,118 of 5,248
20201106_230717.jpg

Really enjoying my D2000 with TH-600 cups! Quite a slam. Going to do the SMC Connector mod soon and make some custom cables. Also have some TH-610 cups coming soon that I'm looking forward to trying.

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #5,120 of 5,248
Wow, it's great to see that this thread is active after all this time.

Anyhow, been wanting to take my D2000s out of retirement and perhaps do the MarkL mod on them. Can anyone point me in the direction of a page that has the step by step instructions with photos that aren't dead links? Also, I heard that the materials used for the D2000 mod is different from the D5000 mod. If so, what materials are used instead?

But before any of that, can anyone tell me what size screw is used to attach the earcup to the end of the headband? I attached a photo below. Clearly I will also need a replacement headband pad as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

• MissingScrew.jpg
    MissingScrew.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #5,121 of 5,248
But before any of that, can anyone tell me what size screw is used to attach the earcup to the end of the headband? I attached a photo below. Clearly I will also need a replacement headband pad as well.

Unfortunately, the screw that is used to attach the earcup is one that is out of production (BISS2 is the reference number, see attached). You might be able to bodge together something with an M2 bolt, unless you can find someone that has spare screws they are willing to part with.

I have modeled the screws in CAD and was looking for a machine shop to help me prototype them for cheap/free.

For the headband pad, you can use the one that the TH900 uses, it's a drop in replacement. It is part # 1466441004

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #5,122 of 5,248
Unfortunately, the screw that is used to attach the earcup is one that is out of production (BISS2 is the reference number, see attached). You might be able to bodge together something with an M2 bolt, unless you can find someone that has spare screws they are willing to part with.

I have modeled the screws in CAD and was looking for a machine shop to help me prototype them for cheap/free.

For the headband pad, you can use the one that the TH900 uses, it's a drop in replacement. It is part # 1466441004

Well, that's sad news. I really hate proprietary crap. Now looking at the image you sent me, it looks like the irregular shaped washer seems to be missing as well. I know how sought after parts are for these headphones, so I'm not going to bother asking anybody for spares since I already know the answer.

I also wanted to do the MarkL mod to tighten up the bass/reduce vibrations, but all of the pages I've come across have broken image links. Any idea where I can find a page that still has active step by step instructions for that?

Also, have you heard of anyone modding the cable to be detachable? I've always passionately hated the stock cable on these things, and if I'm going to make it detachable, might as well shorten it as well.

Cheers!

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #5,123 of 5,248
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #5,124 of 5,248
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #5,126 of 5,248
Hey All,

Wanted to drop you all a msg to say "Hi", and ask for your opinions on these D2000s that I've just bought and will be arriving this week - DENON AH-D2000 CLOSED BACK BIOCELLULOSE OVER EAR HEADPHONES MODDED XLR BALANCED | eBay . I'll be using the stock cable as I do not have a balanced amp.

Is there a particular dac/amp you can recommend (that doesn't hurt the wallet too much)? I currently use a Fiio K5 Pro(with Philips Fidelio X2HR), which is good and has plenty of power (1.65W into 16 ohms, 1.5W into 30ohms) - although I feel it sounds a touch too neutral/clinical for me. I'm after a sound that will get me tapping my feet and loosing myself in the music. The K5 Pro to me, is just missing that magical bit of musicality. I also look for sub bass.

Edit - These are great examples of the music I mainly listen to and are some of my reference tracks when considering headphone/stereo options:

https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B...07B9M6DFM&ref=dm_sh_f0d8-6dc0-be0e-8031-c9482

https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B...0165GKXJA&ref=dm_sh_2722-dac0-9720-a60a-95765

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #5,127 of 5,248
Hey All,

Wanted to drop you all a msg to say "Hi", and ask for your opinions on these D2000s that I've just bought and will be arriving this week - DENON AH-D2000 CLOSED BACK BIOCELLULOSE OVER EAR HEADPHONES MODDED XLR BALANCED | eBay . I'll be using the stock cable as I do not have a balanced amp.

Is there a particular dac/amp you can recommend (that doesn't hurt the wallet too much)? I currently use a Fiio K5 Pro, which is good and powerful (1.65W into 16 ohms) - although I feel it sounds a bit too neutral/clinical for me. I'm after a sound that will get me tapping my feet and the K5 Pro to me, is just missing that magical bit of musicality.

For solid state amps for Denons and Fostex biodynas I really like the Garage 1217 Project Polaris... its a clean yet warm and musical amp, low end hits like a freight train and it tames the treble yet still allows it to be lively and energetic. It's even better than the modded Gustard H10s I used previously.

i-8BNWnqV.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #5,128 of 5,248
For solid state amps for Denons and Fostex biodynas I really like the Garage 1217 Project Polaris... its a clean yet warm and musical amp, low end hits like a freight train and it tames the treble yet still allows t to be lively and energetic. It's even better than the modded Gustard H10s I used previously.

i-8BNWnqV.jpg
Ok thanks Will look up the Polaris. I had an Ember years ago and was impressed with it before I started spending silly money on gear (no longer able to these days).

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #5,129 of 5,248
Ok thanks Will look up the Polaris. I had an Ember years ago and was impressed with it before I started spending silly money on gear (no longer able to these days).

As good as the Ember is and does the tube things, it simply doesn't have the low end impact and clean transparency of the JFET input Project Polaris. You trade off some extension, finesse, separation, and spacious sound with the Polaris though since the Ember can adapt as needed with selection of tubes.

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #5,130 of 5,248
As good as the Ember is and does the tube things, it simply doesn't have the low end impact and clean transparency of the JFET input Project Polaris. You trade off some extension, finesse, separation, and spacious sound with the Polaris though since the Ember can adapt as needed with selection of tubes.

Ok thanks. Any ideas on a nice complimentary dac?

I probably should have mentioned that my source is likely to be Amazon Music HD from a desktop pc running Windows 10....(not ideal I know).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back