Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 14, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #5,131 of 5,248
Ok thanks. Any ideas on a nice complimentary dac?

I probably should have mentioned that my source is likely to be Amazon Music HD from a desktop pc running Windows 10....(not ideal I know).

For work setup I've used a Dragonfly Red paired with the Polaris, at home the RME ADI-2 DAC, and testeda Khadas tone board. All sound more fine w with it... the only DAC I wasn't particularly fond of the sound with was the Schiit Bifrost. I would just go with a $100 level DAC like the Khadas or equivalent and call it good unless you can and want to spend the money on an RME ADI-2 DAC.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5,132 of 5,248
For work setup I've used a Dragonfly Red paired with the Polaris, at home the RME ADI-2 DAC, and testeda Khadas tone board. All sound more fine w with it... the only DAC I wasn't particularly fond of the sound with was the Schiit Bifrost. I would just go with a $100 level DAC like the Khadas or equivalent and call it good unless you can and want to spend the money on an RME ADI-2 DAC.

Thanks. RME definitely out of my price range currently, but maybe one day it won't be..

I reached out to Jeremy at Garage1217 today about the Polaris. He said worth trying the Polaris from PC soundcard to the amp via line out to see how I get on with the sound.

Garage1217 do not officially recommend dac's but Jeremy did say that they find the ifi Zen Dac pairs very well with their kit. I may give that a go.

I'm returning the Fiio K5 Pro tomorrow (leaving me without a dac/amp temporarily) as I've never been truly happy with the sound signature it has. It's too neutral for me, I prefer more warmth.

With my Denon's arriving tomorrow, I now need to quickly decide whether I plump for the ifi Zen Dac from Amazon, or, try something else. I am not impressed with it being £50 for a 5v mains adapter for the ifi Zen though :-o

It will be a few weeks before I have the money to buy a brand new Polaris so need something that will be a dac and have enough grunt to power the AH-D2000s until my Polaris arrived.

Whatever I get to replace the K5 Pro, I shall need to keep for a while. I'm hoping the Polaris will be good enough for a year at least...

Depending on how I get on with the Denon's, I may sell my X2HR, in part to fund the Polaris.

Aargh the head-fi merry-go-round continues lol!

Edit : Spelling

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #5,134 of 5,248
My Denon AH-D2000s have arrived...

I only had a quick listen with the Fiio K5 Pro, and it was definitely more my style than the Fidelio X2HR. However, I returned the Fiio to Amazon today because I was just not happy with the sound. It's powerful, and a good quality device (for £150), however it's just too neutral for me and not enough bass extension for me personally.

I also had a listen through my Google Pixel 4 Xl, and my foot was tapping along which never happened with my Fiio - that shows how good the D2Ks are.

I'm currently listening using the h/p out on my Presonius E3.5 pc speakers. They are monitors and so are very neutral and does not suit the Denon at all. It's just a stop-gap though.

The only minor thing I'm not keen on are the aftermarket pads that are on. My right ear is a little uncomfortable as the pad rubs on my ear and the pads get hot quickly. I'll have a look around for some other pads. My right ear must be a slightly different size/angle than my left! Wearing glasses probably doesn't help with ear pad comfort. The most comfy ear pads I've experienced previously were the Alpha pads on Alpha Prime headphones. My X2HR's are also comfy and can wear for hours without slightest hint of discomfort.

Depending on how my next dac/amp pairs up with D2K I may sell my X2HR.

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #5,136 of 5,248
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #5,138 of 5,248
Can anybody please recommend a cheap portable DAC amp combo that will match well with the D2000? Ideally under £50.

Its so I can sit in my lounge and listen to music in comfort.

My main listening takes place at my PC in my home office which is where I'll keep the desktop dac and amp.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,139 of 5,248
Can anybody please recommend a cheap portable DAC amp combo that will match well with the D2000? Ideally under £50.

Its so I can sit in my lounge and listen to music in comfort.

My main listening takes place at my PC in my home office which is where I'll keep the desktop dac and amp.
A used Fiio BTR5...it's a truly great device for the price.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #5,141 of 5,248
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #5,142 of 5,248
Thanks. Used ones are rare lol. They must be pretty good.
The BTR5 were sold OEM on eBay UK for £68 vs £90 retail a while back - may show up again...your issue is the plug though, if you don't have an adapter for 3.5"....another cost to consider.

Dec 17, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #5,144 of 5,248
I have just received my ifi Zen Dac to replace the Fiio K5 Pro. It's much more suited to the D2K I think.

I have "Power match" setting on. Although it has modest power output in single ended connection compared to the Fiio, it is still very impressive. I'm currently powering it on 5v USB from my PC.

Personally, I much prefer the ifi over the Fiio in all respects. I think for £129 GBP, the Zen Dac is amazing value. I can certainly recommend it.

Next step will be to order a Project Polaris...

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #5,145 of 5,248
I have just received my ifi Zen Dac to replace the Fiio K5 Pro. It's much more suited to the D2K I think.

I have "Power match" setting on. Although it has modest power output in single ended connection compared to the Fiio, it is still very impressive. I'm currently powering it on 5v USB from my PC.

Personally, I much prefer the ifi over the Fiio in all respects. I think for £129 GBP, the Zen Dac is amazing value. I can certainly recommend it.

Next step will be to order a Project Polaris...
I am enjoying a glass of wine and a listen to music in my lounge via my laptop 5v USB. I must say, I'm very impressed. It sounds great, and my feet havent stopped tapping. There is a gorgeous musicality, a fun sound without too much colour. It's ever so slightly warm. I'm starting to really appreciate the D2K too which is spot on for me

I can thoroughly recommend the ifi Zen Dac with D2000. I'm still going to get the Project Polaris for my home office as I'm sure it will unleash more dynamic headroom etc and open up the D2K even more.

I won't bother with the Fiio BTR 5. I'm going to just use the Zen Dac & laptop for casual listening in my lounge. I will invest in the ifi low noise 5v mains adapter for my home office instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back