Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 28, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #4,801 of 5,248
So now that the Massdrop Fostex has been out for a while, has there been a general consensus as to where they would land in comparrison to the D2000-7000's, sounds like above they fall short as compared to the D7000 modded, but what about compared to a D2000 modded( which I have) wood cups, dampening material, and a D5000 Lawton and such. I love my D2k and will probably never sell them, but I am trying everything I can to not get the Massdrop Fostex, 'specially since they are now showing up gently used.

James

Don't get them, they sound way too similar to my D2000 with D7000 cups and cable using the same pads. It's a sidegrade. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #4,802 of 5,248

Don't get them, they sound way too similar to my D2000 with D7000 cups and cable using the same pads. It's a sidegrade. 

yea that about sums up my feelings as well, the Th X00 price wise is GREAT, stock out of the box they sound really nice, A pad upgrade is about all I think they need, for the money you can spend on a Stock D5k, I'd say the TH X00 is the way to go

Modded DX headphones tend to vary in price, as cheap as like $400 ish an up to around $600 or so, though given the price of a Th X00 an Alpha Pads being around like $450 ish, if you can find a modded DX for around that price... both would be advantageous, though it's a matter of new vs used 

welp I got my LA D5k Back, an whoa... the Lawtons pads are a nice shift from the Alpha Pads right out of the same Amp I can say the Lawton pads REALLY balance out my LA D5k an the sound stage... isn't as wide though it's a much more... accurate in terms of left an right, Also the bass has been speed up quite a bit an the top end opened back up, the Lawtons aren't nearly as dark as the Alphas are, also the Lawton Pads have a tad more bass texture than the Alphas do, actually this kinda freaked me out

I noticed a very DEEP Sub bass wobble in The Verdict Part 2, an it freaked me out because it literally sounded like... a plasticy thuding... like my headphone HAD A DRIVER ISSUE, well it was actually a touch of distortion due in part to the some what noisy nature of the PB2s SE out [sound is REALLY GOOD but it's a hair noisy :/] So I re seated the opAmps which helped a little, an then swapped into the Balanced out [an texture ALL THERE noise ALL GONE] so that was good... I almost died 

Now the Lawton Pads cost around $100 an some change, vs the Alphas at $60 

Putting the total cost of my LA D5k around like $575 ish, an my TH X00 Alpha at like $460 

In terms of how they differ well... the LA D5k is... a little rougher on the Top end, though it has a more balanced sound overall an better left right seperation imo, a tad drier if you will 

the TH X00 Alpha has a more liquid sound, Sub Bass an mids are little wetter than on the LA D5k, the top end is much sweeter, they both have a nice snap an good sense of air to the highs, but the TH X00 isn't as edgy as the LA D5k can be 

still I'll give you guys a be all end all comparison when they are both balanced out, while I did SE vs SE on each headphone, I think the TH X00 will do really well with a balanced out put! My Pb2 an NFB10ES2 have great claritys, left/right seperation an a drier faster sound in balanced mode. 

Though I will say, I prefer the some what more liquid sound of the TH X00 for metal, an the Drier sound of the LA D5k for rock 

some metal sounds better with the LA D5k an others better on the TH X00 Alpha :/ either way, the Alpha an Lawton Pads are rather different animals 

an then with SOME rock the LA D5k is a tad TO dry an recessed in the Mids :/ which was my initial impression of it, the TH X00 has always had better mids than the LA D5k imo, but after having a now second listen I'd have to say sound stage is a little better on the LA D5k due in part to the some what recessed mids 

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4,803 of 5,248

also oooooooh the slighty drier sounding LA D5k REALLY sounds GREAT with the Project Starlight II [stock tube] :D the TH X00 wasn't bad with the hybrid tube, but the LA D5k is pairing much better I think 

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #4,804 of 5,248
Hey guys, hoping to get some help with a removable cable mod.  I have a pair of TH-X00s and asked in that thread a couple times but it doesn't seem anyone is familiar with such a mod, so I'm asking here since they're similar headphones.  I got a pair of SMC/hifiman connectors to use for the removable cable mod (this is the connector I bought based off the recommendation in the discussion starting here).  How exactly do I wire this thing, do I just cut off the cable near the hole and solder the two wires to that small, half-open end of the SMC connector?  I know how to solder, just not 100% on what and where exactly I'm supposed to be soldering (and it seems like it'd be difficult to solder both wires to that tiny thing anyway).  

I've only done one other headphone cable mod and that was for the AKG K553 which has only a cable on one side, and with that there were three wires that I soldered to three different tabs on the connector (and I was following a guide anyway). I don't know much about headphones so I don't know if soldering multiple wires to one point is normal (like if I could have done that for the K553 and you just solder to different tabs for the sake of ease), but it doesn't really seem like there are other options.  I sent PMs to the people having that discussion but didn't hear back, so hoping someone else has actually done the mod and can help me out.  

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4,805 of 5,248
  Hey guys, hoping to get some help with a removable cable mod.  I have a pair of TH-X00s and asked in that thread a couple times but it doesn't seem anyone is familiar with such a mod, so I'm asking here since they're similar headphones.  I got a pair of SMC/hifiman connectors to use for the removable cable mod (this is the connector I bought based off the recommendation in the discussion starting here).  How exactly do I wire this thing, do I just cut off the cable near the hole and solder the two wires to that small, half-open end of the SMC connector?  I know how to solder, just not 100% on what and where exactly I'm supposed to be soldering (and it seems like it'd be difficult to solder both wires to that tiny thing anyway).  

I've only done one other headphone cable mod and that was for the AKG K553 which has only a cable on one side, and with that there were three wires that I soldered to three different tabs on the connector (and I was following a guide anyway). I don't know much about headphones so I don't know if soldering multiple wires to one point is normal (like if I could have done that for the K553 and you just solder to different tabs for the sake of ease), but it doesn't really seem like there are other options.  I sent PMs to the people having that discussion but didn't hear back, so hoping someone else has actually done the mod and can help me out.  

Peterek might be able to help you, he does the mods... like for a living almost! He's here from time to time 

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4,806 of 5,248
Hi All,

So I've somehow managed to break my D5Ks by simply putting them on. The small screw holding the earcup to the headband snapped as I was about to wear the pair. Quite gutted actually as they are in pristine conditions otherwise. No issues whatsoever, apart from a tiny screw that snapped. I've attached afew pictures below (apologies if it isnt clear):

Are there any known methods in fixing these? Does Lawton even repair such damage?

Cheers Guys

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4,807 of 5,248

Are there any known methods in fixing these? Does Lawton even repair such damage?

Cheers Guys

Lawton might, I had him replace a driver screw in my headphone as well as tighten some of the Headband ones >.> that does kinda worry me though

but Oh well 

shoot him an email an see what he says/charges 

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,808 of 5,248
  Hi All,

So I've somehow managed to break my D5Ks by simply putting them on. The small screw holding the earcup to the headband snapped as I was about to wear the pair. Quite gutted actually as they are in pristine conditions otherwise. No issues whatsoever, apart from a tiny screw that snapped. I've attached afew pictures below (apologies if it isnt clear):

Cheers Guys

Check this thread out...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607330/how-to-repair-your-denon-d-2000-d-5000-and-d-7000-headphones-if-your-cup-has-fallen-off-the-gimbal/45

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #4,812 of 5,248
Over a month ago, I have sold  my D5000 and I'm looking for a replacement. Do you guys think that the Fostex TH900 is a worthy replacement with kind of the same sound?

The TH900 is a big step up imo. They're much more resolving, faster and just overall cleaner sounding. They still have a slight colouration which makes them sound lifelike and fun, but you're getting that along with speed and definition.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #4,813 of 5,248
The TH900 is a big step up imo. They're much more resolving, faster and just overall cleaner sounding. They still have a slight colouration which makes them sound lifelike and fun, but you're getting that along with speed and definition.

that's good to hear, I'd imagine a stock TH 900 might be cheaper an easier to find than a D7k 

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #4,814 of 5,248

ive never actually recabled a headphone, but lets think about it..
the cable terminates with a stereophonic jack, which means it would have 2 wires inside, left, right and ground.so i imagine the other ends, those that fit in the earcups, would be left+ground and right+ground. i dont imagine ther would be room for confusion. id open up the cups and take a look inside, since youll want to open them anyway. that connector looks like it needs to be inserted into the hole with the screw end pointing out, and then fixed into place with a nut. if you want to solder it before or after you fit it in place depends on the amount of wire you have inside the cup (and what seems to be most comfortable to you), then again, you could always replace those too... if you open the cups and take some pictures of the inside (and outside while your at it), and maybe some proper pics of the connectors ill be able to offer better advise. be warned though, it may be fiddly and annoying

good luck

edit:
what is that connector? what does the other end look like? the end that goes on the cable?
another edit:
dont solder two wires or two anything to the same spot, the "tiny thing" is meant for the wire, i cant see where the grounding is meant to be soldered, so i imagine your meant to just solder it to the chassis itself.
  Hi All,

Cheers Guys

from looking at my d2k (which may be different ofcourse), it looks like the screw could be easily replaced. it looks like the screw fits in from the bottom, and the top smooth bit is a nut. if this is indeed the case, you can try taking the nut (or the whole headphone - why not?) to a retailer and maybe find the same screw, without sending the things to be fixed elsewhere. make sure you keep all the bits that come free if such a thing happens.

good luck to you too

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #4,815 of 5,248
Thanks for the advice guys, i’ve been really busy with work recently and only just had the chance to work with the Denons. I’ve managed to fix the pair! I basically took the other cup apart and went to the local DIY store and requested the same exact screw. Luckily, they had some spare. The installation was a lot simpler than I thought, probably took around 30 minutes at most and costed 90 pence! Happy listening all! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back