Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,816 of 5,248
My AH-D5000 is almost complete all that needs doing is a new headband when I find the right colour leather

N8wkFUR.jpg

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #4,819 of 5,248
Given many outside obligations that were pulling me in every direction, I have not been online for about a month. From my early years as a user here, I remember this quote from my favorite Head-Fi'er, @Skylab:
It's been 6 months since I wrote this review, which does compare the DX1000 and the D5000: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...beware-232318/

However, more than 6 months later, I am not sure I still prefer the D5000 over the DX1000. I still absolutely love them both, though. I am listening to the D5000's right now, and they sound just fantastic. They remain one of my all time favorite headphones. Unlike so many headphones, they don't seriously lack in any area. They are not perfect, nor are they the best at everything. They have more bass than something like the W5000, and this likely will not appeal to the same listener. But for me, the D5000's are a headphone I could very happily have as my one and only. That's saying a LOT.

I had always wanted to own these headphones since, based on their reviews, which especially note their unique blend of detail, balance and fun factor, they always seemed like my metaphorical "desert island" headphone. For a certain period from 2010 to 2012, I had taken a two year leave from the Internet and the world in general.

During my extended hiatus, the D5000 which had so much caught my eye was quietly discontinued. When I discovered this predicament upon my return, I was between a rock and a hard place because the D5000 was commanding exorbitate prices a college student like myself simply could not afford.

Today was the day for me to get the D5000 at a price I could afford. On eBay, I noticed that excellent condition D2000's had gone down in price to the $200 range and a pair of stock D5000 wooden cups were now up for grabs. After many long years of waiting, I snatched up both. With the simple cup swap mod, I will finally be the proud owner of the D5000. I update you guys on the news once I have my D5000 in action!

UPDATE: I am also doing a cable upgrade as well. I just ordered this silver cable. I am 99% sure I understand everything I need to know going forward. However, I made this thread where I am double checking my understanding here.

By the way, I just received my D2000's in the mail. They are just as wonderful as I people say they are. They are seriously more evocative than the HD 700, which I briefly owned and I have since returned, and than the HiFiMAN headphones (HE-400i, HE-560), which I have demoed on multiple occasions at Overture Audio. Denon was out of their mind to have this headphone line discontinued. Excuse the emotional overload, but these are flatout amazing!

They are like a Franken-Grado-Beyer-Senn-thing-a-ma-jig in the best way imaginable. Fun, detailed, and controlled all in one very delicious sonic bite. Based on what I remember hearing from the HD 800, these Denons are the best fit for me.  I cannot wait to get the D5000's extra bit of uppermost treble zap and refined midrange finesse once I install my soon-to-be-delivered wooden cups in a few weeks!

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #4,821 of 5,248
i've got these ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261349307920?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=560254102182&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. They are decent. If you fancy experimenting a bit Mr Speakers Alpha pads are rather popular. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #4,823 of 5,248
They are quite similar is size and thickness but the original pads seems softer (maybe cause they are older). The ebay ones are Pleather pads, not sure if the originals were pure leather. Hard to explain any other differences. But the replacement pads to get the job done. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,824 of 5,248
  Hello~

I have a pair of stock D5ks, and the pads have almost flaked off. What replacement pads should I get for them and where can I find them? Thanks!

If you're bucks up the Lawton angle pads for $99 (think that's the price) are my favorite and are lambskin so won't flake again. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #4,825 of 5,248

If you're bucks up the Lawton angle pads for $99 (think that's the price) are my favorite and are lambskin so won't flake again. 

Yep, the pleather(?) on my D2000 began flaking not long after I'd gotten it (perhaps tropical climate's a factor) but for the D7000, which I'd also gotten, its pads were perfect. Decided to up my game by getting a pair Lawton Angle Pads for the D7000, took the pads from the D7000 and put them on the D2000. I believe the pads on the D7000 is genuine leather and much more resilient compared to the ones originally on the D2000. Both sound wonderful to me and are definitely keepers......
beerchug.gif

I was encouraged to get some woodies from AT, decided on the more affordable ATH-W5000, but the sound simply wasn't suited to my taste. It laid in its box for a long while before I'd decided to sell it off recently.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #4,829 of 5,248
Hi All,
I've been watching this forum for few years now and always had luck with finding answers. Not this time unfortunatelly. At least not the answer I'd like to get.
Long story short... I have a pair of AH-D2000 with broken driver. I found few threads where ppl descibed same issue. There were 2 fixes:

1) Sell and buy new ones
2) Replace driver

Searching through Internet I found lots of posts written by ppl with similar issues, so it looks like there is something wrong with AH-D2000 drivers.
I'm wondering if after all these years anyone solved this mystery? Why it happens and if there is a fix for that? (fixing coil or something)

Regards,
S.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #4,830 of 5,248

Denon was out of their mind to have this headphone line discontinued.

Truer words have never been spoken here on Head Fi.

For me; After over 30 headphones in around 10 years ( yes, you read that correctly! ) none compare to the magic of my old AH-D5000's. They have this unique ability to capture the mood of a recording. This ability is absent in every other headphone i've ever heard.

They where definitely a one-off. Treasure them!
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back