Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Feb 26, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #4,831 of 5,248
Treasure them!
happy_face1.gif

I'm going to but it's hard since they're not working :wink:
Hope someone already found a fix. Anyone? 

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4,832 of 5,248
Lol I was commenting on someone else's post.

You could always give Denon a call, they may be able to fix it for you for a small fee. Some manufacturers still do this post-warranty (such as Yamaha). I'm sure Denon will still have AH-D2000 parts.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #4,833 of 5,248
Hi All,
I've been watching this forum for few years now and always had luck with finding answers. Not this time unfortunatelly. At least not the answer I'd like to get.
Long story short... I have a pair of AH-D2000 with broken driver. I found few threads where ppl descibed same issue. There were 2 fixes:

1) Sell and buy new ones
2) Replace driver

Searching through Internet I found lots of posts written by ppl with similar issues, so it looks like there is something wrong with AH-D2000 drivers.
I'm wondering if after all these years anyone solved this mystery? Why it happens and if there is a fix for that? (fixing coil or something)

Regards,
S.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the driver, the denon d-2-5-7000 was wery popular and denon sold tons, so I think that has an effect on how much they are commented on the net both in good and bad when drivers fail.

A weak point of the demons is also the gimbal suspension, keep the pair you have for spare parts and buy a new one as I don't believe you can get new drivers as a spare part.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #4,834 of 5,248
  Truer words have never been spoken here on Head Fi.

For me; After over 30 headphones in around 10 years ( yes, you read that correctly! ) none compare to the magic of my old AH-D5000's. They have this unique ability to capture the mood of a recording. This ability is absent in every other headphone i've ever heard.

They where definitely a one-off. Treasure them!
happy_face1.gif

and none of the current crop of same physical unit style Fostex outdo the D5k in your opinion ?

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #4,835 of 5,248

and none of the current crop of same physical unit style Fostex outdo the D5k in your opinion

Last year i auditioned the TH900's and i certainly prefered my AH-D5000's. I put it down to the wooden cups, i think the D5K has superior wooden cups compared to the TH900. Honestly, i've marvelled at the quality of the finish on them, the way they where varnished also. IMO this is what made the D5K/7K particularly good. If Fostex could make an exact replica of the D5K/7K then i'd be happy to give them my money. I may just buy TH600's though and transfer the D5K's wooden cups on to those, my D5K's are old now.
frown.gif

I'm sure the up-coming TH610 will be an amazing headphone in it's own right also, but it's not an original D5K/7K.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #4,836 of 5,248
  Hi All,
I've been watching this forum for few years now and always had luck with finding answers. Not this time unfortunatelly. At least not the answer I'd like to get.
Long story short... I have a pair of AH-D2000 with broken driver. I found few threads where ppl descibed same issue. There were 2 fixes:

1) Sell and buy new ones
2) Replace driver

Searching through Internet I found lots of posts written by ppl with similar issues, so it looks like there is something wrong with AH-D2000 drivers.
I'm wondering if after all these years anyone solved this mystery? Why it happens and if there is a fix for that? (fixing coil or something)

Regards,
S.

Happy End... after all it turned out that cold solder joint on one of coil ends is the one to blame. Quick re-soldering worked like a charm.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #4,839 of 5,248

Truer words have never been spoken here on Head Fi.

For me; After over 30 headphones in around 10 years ( yes, you read that correctly! ) none compare to the magic of my old AH-D5000's. They have this unique ability to capture the mood of a recording. This ability is absent in every other headphone i've ever heard.

They where definitely a one-off. Treasure them!
happy_face1.gif

and none of the current crop of same physical unit style Fostex outdo the D5k in your opinion ?

i own the FostexTH500RP and parts look very similar as a matter of fact pads are  interchangeable that includes the plastic ring that holds the pads and gimble assembly looks very similar 

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,840 of 5,248
  i own the FostexTH500RP and parts look very similar as a matter of fact pads are  interchangeable that includes the plastic ring that holds the pads and gimble assembly looks very similar 

Yes...I wonder what the TH500RP's would sound like with D5K wooden cups on the back of them. It all depends on the lengths of the 4 screws which attach the cups on to the drivers. If they are long enough then it will be job done, that's what i'm hoping. I was gonna do this with TH600's but now you've got me curious about the TH500 lol.

The TH500/600 and 900 are all based on the same physical frame as the original Denon's, all the screws are in the same place, the same if not identical pads, the ring that goes around the drivers to enhance certain frequencies is the same etc etc etc...

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,841 of 5,248

Happy End... after all it turned out that cold solder joint on one of coil ends is the one to blame. Quick re-soldering worked like a charm.

It did work but for few days. Now it's the same and it looks like it can't be fixed after all :frowning2:
That brings me to question do any of you guys have a broken paid of AH-D2000 and wish to sell one driver?
(I was going to add new sell/trade post but I guess I don't have permissions to do that).

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #4,842 of 5,248

It did work but for few days. Now it's the same and it looks like it can't be fixed after all :frowning2:
That brings me to question do any of you guys have a broken paid of AH-D2000 and wish to sell one driver?
(I was going to add new sell/trade post but I guess I don't have permissions to do that).

If you cannot find a replacement unfortunately, let me know. I need the baffle unit and frame.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #4,843 of 5,248
The Denon D2000...still my favourite headphones (not that I have heard much else, but they will always be one of my favs!)

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #4,844 of 5,248

Hi All,

I decided not to go for replacement but sell what I got. What I have is complete headphone without 1 baffle with driver (second one works perfectly).
If anyone's interested please pm me.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #4,845 of 5,248
well I'm not longer in team Denon, my LA D5k shipped out today. Still I did enjoy it for the year or so that I had it. Frankly, with the FULL Lawton Mods it wasn't as fun as my TH X00 Alpha Pads or as transparent as my Modded W1000X, 

Non the less, I did enjoy it. Might have been one to keep if not for the others in my collection still you'll have a new Denon fan here shortly ^^ 

That and I might wander back in with a LA D7k ona these days [might just pony up the 2000 to that guy selling the NIB LA D7k he's been hoarding for years now] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back