Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 26, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #4,576 of 5,248
  Thank you i'm still on the fence about the pads the price is my biggest issue I can currently buy a lambskin leather jacket for $100 more on amazon which far exceeds the leather on the pads. Just feel like Lawton is taking advantage of denon owners sorry don't mean to step on anyone here just feel stuck here on where to go.

He makes great stuff but I agree, his pricing is pretty high in my opinion.  You should check out the pricing of the admittedly gorgeous wood cups he sells. 

May 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,577 of 5,248
I am able to get a hold of a pair of vintage :) demon AH-d2000 with some mark Lawton mods done in 2009

It has gotten a new cable a: Jena labs SE 7.5ft (400$)

New cups in red ceder and new insolation (289$)

Upgrade package 1 : changed angles of pads And a tuning (150$)

He has the original papers from Lawton audio for the upgrade witch was done in 2009.

He's asking 440$ for them now as just what to know it's a fair price ?

May 26, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,578 of 5,248
I am able to get a hold of a pair of vintage
smily_headphones1.gif
demon AH-d2000 with some mark Lawton mods done in 2009

He has the original papers from Lawton audio for the upgrade witch was done in 2009.

Sounds about right to me. I paid a similar amount for mine when I picked them up about a year or so ago.

May 26, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4,579 of 5,248
Yeah sounds like a good price. The price of stock D2Ks go up and down from 200-300 but the modded pairs with wood cups stay about the same, with the exception of some people thinking they're made of gold and pricing them at 600.

May 26, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,580 of 5,248
I am able to get a hold of a pair of vintage
smily_headphones1.gif
demon AH-d2000 with some mark Lawton mods done in 2009

Very fair price...................got all the goodies.

May 27, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #4,581 of 5,248
So stoked, the cable mods on my Denons are done, but I'm too busy to collect them now, dammit!
mad.gif
 But will do so as soon as I'm able, based on the pics he'd sent me, I'd asked him to terminate the original K7000 cable with HFM plugs since the cable itself is of good quality. I have an Audeze Q Cable as well as an Audeze Effects Audio cable, and since I have the Audeze to HFM adapters, I can use these cable on the Denons as well. Anyway, I couldn't be more pleased......and now, potato pics.

May 30, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #4,582 of 5,248
Does anyone know how many DxK were made and how long they were made for !!??

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #4,583 of 5,248
Just thought I should jump in here and say that all of my other headphones have been ruined for me since I received my Lawton-modded D5000s a couple weeks ago... they were in rough shape but I put on some Alpha Pads and an HD650 headband pad and I am oh-so happy.

I think I've now realised that closed cans are the best for me, has made me want to try something crazy like the LCD-XC

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,584 of 5,248
  Just thought I should jump in here and say that all of my other headphones have been ruined for me since I received my Lawton-modded D5000s a couple weeks ago... they were in rough shape but I put on some Alpha Pads and an HD650 headband pad and I am oh-so happy.

I think I've now realised that closed cans are the best for me, has made me want to try something crazy like the LCD-XC

I auditioned the XC side by side with my D7000 and D5000 last year and was.............underwhelmed.  To the point I put them back in the case and shipped them back the next day.  Not only are they uncomfortable and heavy the bass could not compare to the Denon's.  Disclaimer - I'm a Denon fanboy but the XC just did nothing for me and when coupled with the price it was a disappointment. 

It's not that the planar bass isn't good in general - I have a HE-400 that to me is about as good as bass gets (and felt the same way with my HE-6 before I sold it) - it just didn't sound good in addition to the bass issue. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #4,585 of 5,248
I also tried out the LCD-XC at a meet and it didn't even take me 30 seconds to think these are the worst sounding things I have put on my head in several years- sloppy and muddled. I generally prefer open cans but I loved my D2k and at  times wish I hadn't traded them for a HD600

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #4,586 of 5,248
  I also tried out the LCD-XC at a meet and it didn't even take me 30 seconds to think these are the worst sounding things I have put on my head in several years- sloppy and muddled. I generally prefer open cans but I loved my D2k and at  times wish I hadn't traded them for a HD600

I auditioned the XC side by side with my D7000 and D5000 last year and was.............underwhelmed.  To the point I put them back in the case and shipped them back the next day.  Not only are they uncomfortable and heavy the bass could not compare to the Denon's.  Disclaimer - I'm a Denon fanboy but the XC just did nothing for me and when coupled with the price it was a disappointment. 

It's not that the planar bass isn't good in general - I have a HE-400 that to me is about as good as bass gets (and felt the same way with my HE-6 before I sold it) - it just didn't sound good in addition to the bass issue. 

Ha, fair enough! I'd really like to be able to try them out, though it's a bit hard to get my hands on that kind of gear in NZ, but you may well have saved me a considerable sum of money.

The Alpha Dogs were another pair I was looking at, or just the more linear progression to a TH900... but for the moment I'm very happy with the D5000

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #4,587 of 5,248

Ha, fair enough! I'd really like to be able to try them out, though it's a bit hard to get my hands on that kind of gear in NZ, but you may well have saved me a considerable sum of money.

The Alpha Dogs were another pair I was looking at, or just the more linear progression to a TH900... but for the moment I'm very happy with the D5000

I found the Alpha dogs (may have been alpha primes but IIRC alpha dogs)  to be virtually the same as the TH900 when I heard them at the same meet. The owner however stated that the TH900 shined in all music but there were times when the alpha dog came up short. FWIW I loved them both and either would be a satisfactory end game for me especially with closed cans.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #4,588 of 5,248
  Does anyone know how many DxK were made and how long they were made for !!??

Denon made quite a few of the D2000, D5000, and D7000. They were also made for several years (I think they were the Denon cans for at least 5 years) the local audio shop has a pair of D7000 on sale, which I am buying (I have dibs, you all stay away! :p) anyway, I'm definitely sending them in to Lawton Audio once I get them. Does anyone know what the differences are between their older style cups and the new ones? Also, anyone know what the approximate price of the full mod package is? 

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #4,589 of 5,248
I just received my damping mod kit from markl (Lawton Audio), and installed it on my D2000 along with angle pads. 

Headphone and earcup before mod:

Headphone and earcup after mod:

I must say, I love this mod. All the pieces included were fit nearly perfectly (just had to trim a couple pieces). It was easy to install. The instructions mentioned I may want to add some superglue to hold some of the damping material in place. I had the glue at the ready, but didn't need it, the self-adhesive stuck everywhere it needed to. I think the finished product looks very good, all the little driver parts symmetrically covered and all.

First impressions of the sound...I love it! The stock D2000 was a love/hate for me. I liked the overall signature, but I couldn't really listen for very long because it was too fatiguing (not sure if it was the boomy bass or bright treble...or both). After the mod, I noticed immediately that the bass is brought under control. With stock D2000 it didn't matter what I was listening to, I was constantly aware of the boomy bass. After the mod, I'm not always thinking about bass. I think this may be due to both the damping mod and the angle pads, which put the drivers further away from the ear (and angle them more). Post mod, the sound is cleaner - I can hear deeper into the mix and find more microdetails. You can see just by the pictures there are going to be many fewer reflections going on in the chamber. So overall the sound is more even across the spectrum (by reducing bass boom), and it's cleaner and less fatiguing. Time will tell more on the fatigue factor, but I've done 2-3 hours of high volume (for me) listening tonight, and I'm not fatigued, whereas earlier today at work before the mod, I was fatigued after only a half hour and had to quit.

I should note about the bass, it is still there. I did my Flight of the Cosmic Hippo test and confirmed it is very much still there. It's still a bassy headphone compared to most other headphones. It just doesn't boom and echo through every song like before. For me it's not a tradeoff, it's improved across the board. 

Terrific mod, I highly recommend it to anyone considering it. Congrats and thanks to Mark for figuring out how to make this headphone sound so good!

Edit 6/21 - Oops, the vintage Pioneer amp I was listening through had it's 6k filter switch engaged. Once the filter was set to off, the highs fatigued my ears again. All other impressions above remain, just note the mod did not fully tame the highs for me. I've now also done the damping mod to my D7000s, same benefits as to the D2000s, but the D7000s don't have the fatiguing highs to me (they've always been better in this regard to me, after I burned them in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back