Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 19, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #4,592 of 5,248

The Markl damping mod and angled ear pads improve the characteristics of an already great pair of headphones. I only have 3 words to say about my modded D5K: Fun! Fun! Fun!

How easy was it? Did you take any photos?

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostextuneupinstructions.html

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #4,593 of 5,248
  How easy was it? Did you take any photos?

In my situation, I was looking to have the headphone recabled with a shorter length and a much difference y-splitter.  I kept leaning toward my desk and when I sat up the factory cable splitter was catching on the edge of my desk and tugging sharply on my headphones to the point where they were nearly pulled off my head.  The cable was about 3 feet too long and the splitter was hanging at the wrong place for me.  I decided to send it to Markl to have the cable replaced with a length and build that was better suited to my needs, and while it was being recabled, I decided to have the damping mod applied.  I have no way to make a comparison, but it truly seems like it now has a much flatter frequency response, while keeping the huge bass impact that I love.

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,594 of 5,248
Hey guys,

I`v been blessed by the D5000 for quite some time now. I`m looking for new headband and pads since they`re showing a bit of wear.  Any suggestions? I see two kinds of pads on ebay, cheaper and more expensive ones. Is there any real difference? From the look of them, I bet the cheaper ones are stiffer like the ATH A900x pads, while those 40$ look very much like original pads. Any chance on gettng original headband?

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #4,595 of 5,248
  Hey guys,

I`v been blessed by the D5000 for quite some time now. I`m looking for new headband and pads since they`re showing a bit of wear.  Any suggestions? I see two kinds of pads on ebay, cheaper and more expensive ones. Is there any real difference? From the look of them, I bet the cheaper ones are stiffer like the ATH A900x pads, while those 40$ look very much like original pads. Any chance on gettng original headband?

The Fostex TH-900 is the same size, I think. So you may be able to switch over to a Fostex headband, or one that fits a TH-900. (both headphones were made by the parent company, Foster.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #4,597 of 5,248
  Fostex uses the same design, are they as comfortable as the Denons?

I would imagine so. Both the Denons and the Fostex headphones are/were produced by parent company Foster. AFAIK, the design of the headband is totally unchanged, so I would assume the comfort levels are the same (although the pads do differ slightly.) I can tell you that I wear my D7K for 6-8 hours a day in one go, and I've never had any issues with anything (okay, I had issues with heat for a little while, but it was over 90F outside, and it was about 85F inside, so it's not an issue of the headphones.)

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4,598 of 5,248
  Fostex uses the same design, are they as comfortable as the Denons?

Add in a Sennheiser HD650 Replacement Foam Headband Pad and that will be the icing on the cake. The stock headband looks comfortable but rather thin. About £10 / $15. Cheap, functional simplicity. You'll have to glue it on though.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,599 of 5,248
+1 to the HD650 headband option. Very cheap and easy upgrade on the comfort front for me.

Kinda want to refurbish my pair a little, however, and re-do the stock headband with a bit of extra padding. Mostly for looks :)

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #4,600 of 5,248
I own both the D2000 and TH-600 and they are very similar in comfort. The difference is in the earpads.

The D2000 has a softer, more supple leather. Now this could be because i've owned it for a few years vs the TH600 which i just got a few weeks ago. The D2000 also has a more mushier feeling foam on the inside where the TH600 has a stiffer open-cell foam feel that is noticeably noisier when compressing (though still pretty soft). Aside from the softness, the earcup holes are also shaped more like an ear in the D2000, whereas the TH600 is completely ciricular in shape. There is more surface area overall that hits your face on the D2000 since its thicker on the fronts and back on the earpads, where the TH600 has an even thickness all around. This change may have been done to make the pads more breathable since less of the pleather hits your face.

In practice though,  the difference in comfort is very small. It will come down to preference and ear shape. The noisiness of the open-cell foam in the TH600 does make it seem a bit cheaper when you squeeze it with your fingers, but that never translates when you put them on your head. I do hope though that the "egg-shell" based pleather on these Fostex last longer than the D2000 pads. My D2000 have begun peeling after about 3 years of light usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back