Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jul 28, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #4,606 of 5,248
  I find the Fostex Th600 cans to be quite similar to the D2000/5000 line..

Is that bad?

Nope not at all. The Denon D2000-7000 are highly sought after head phones for their sound. The TH600 are refined versions of them, but still very much alike. It just depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.

I find the TH600 to be a subtle improvement over my D2000. The highs aren't quite as harsh and the mids are ever slightly more present. Maybe it's only a few percentage better to my ears. Unfortunately, once you past the 200-300 dollar range headphones, diminishing returns hit you pretty hard. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4,607 of 5,248
  Nope not at all. The Denon D2000-7000 are highly sought after head phones for their sound. The TH600 are refined versions of them, but still very much alike. It just depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.

I find the TH600 to be a subtle improvement over my D2000. The highs aren't quite as harsh and the mids are ever slightly more present. Maybe it's only a few percentage better to my ears. Unfortunately, once you past the 200-300 dollar range headphones, diminishing returns hit you pretty hard. 

The 2 and 5k are not in the same class as the 7k, I would say in my experience the 7k is a more refined TH600.  

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #4,608 of 5,248

Are your D2000s modified at all? I'm very happy with my modified D2000s (Mark L internal mods, and Mr Speakers Alpha pads) and am wondering how TH600/900s would compare. I need to find somewhere with them on demo, really...

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #4,609 of 5,248
For my D2000, I only had my cables upgraded (because the original cable started cutting out). Sounded pretty much the same though after the new cables.

The TH-600 is a definite improvement, but a big enough improvement at almost double the price? hard to say. The difference is noticeable for sure, but don't expect some kind of next level sound.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #4,610 of 5,248
  For my D2000, I only had my cables upgraded (because the original cable started cutting out). Sounded pretty much the same though after the new cables.

The TH-600 is a definite improvement, but a big enough improvement at almost double the price? hard to say. The difference is noticeable for sure, but don't expect some kind of next level sound.

Cool, thanks.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #4,611 of 5,248
  I find the Fostex Th600 cans to be quite similar to the D2000/5000 line..

Is that bad?

I found them to be clones............my D5000 (and LA7000 for that matter) and TH600 (sold now) were to my old ears indistinguishable.

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #4,613 of 5,248

Are they the same drivers? 

Great question.  Fostex probably improved the magnet section but I have no idea what that means in the sense of performance. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #4,614 of 5,248
Help!!! My trusted Denon AH-D5000 starts to malfunction :-o The left side sometimes gives scratching noises and sometimes there is no sound at all. When I wrangle at the cable, the sound comes back. Did someone experience this too and how can you solve it??

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #4,615 of 5,248
  Help!!! My trusted Denon AH-D5000 starts to malfunction :-o The left side sometimes gives scratching noises and sometimes there is no sound at all. When I wrangle at the cable, the sound comes back. Did someone experience this too and how can you solve it??

if you wrangle the cable and the sound came back, it's almost certainly a loose wire.quickest way to confirm is to open the cups and peek at it

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #4,617 of 5,248
most certainly the cable. could be where it connects inside the headphone, or it could be at the stereo plug. I have now taken apart a couple Denons and recabled them, so I could help you out if you're in San Diego. If you don't want to learn how to solder, you'll probably need to take them or send them to someone who can repair them.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #4,618 of 5,248

Yeash, I'm very bad at opening things. And I'm also not handy. Are you really sure that is the problem?? :-/

Before you open the thing up, jiggle the wire right where it meets the stress relief on the connector end. Bend it in every direction while music is being played and see if music cuts in and out. If it does, then its the cable. 

This was the problem with my D2000 and I got it rewired which fixed my problem. I think in most cases, headphone wires gets loose at the connector end instead of the headphone end.  And usually not in the middle of the cable unless you bent the cable a lot or ran over it a bunch of times with your chair. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with cabling/wiring on the inside of the earcups. The cables are knotted on the inside of the cups to reduce stress from pulling.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #4,619 of 5,248
Nice to see you guys an this thread are still active, my LA D5k [I forget what wood I've got on there] still get a lot of head time ^^ 
happy to see there's still some activity here ^^ in this thread dedicated to the DxK headphones

Though I'm wondering if an when they might see a replacement... 

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #4,620 of 5,248
  Nice to see you guys an this thread are still active, my LA D5k [I forget what wood I've got on there] still get a lot of head time ^^ 
happy to see there's still some activity here ^^ in this thread dedicated to the DxK headphones

Though I'm wondering if an when they might see a replacement... 

Your best bet would probably be the Fostex TH600/TH900. They're the spiritual successors to the DxK line, made by the same OEM as the Denon headphones. The TH600 recently got discontinued, but you may still get them for around 500 bucks. Plus Lawton also makes wood earcups and upgrades for them. It says in the LA FAQ that all the upgrades for the DxK line can also be used with these new Fostex headphones, so that means you can transfer over your LA woodcups if you wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back