Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #4,352 of 5,248
Going to have a run of Burmese Ironwood proto woodie cups going half price in the F/S over next week or so.Approx 1 set ready per week. Run of 4 sets for D2k and 1 set for 5K/7K to recover my costs on first run errors etc....and my own cans will finally be put back together again.....after so long ;-(  Will be stained and lacquered....5 color choices uploaded later. Will be using different wood on next lot, but for now this was my best option in proto phase.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #4,353 of 5,248
  Going to have a run of Burmese Ironwood proto woodie cups going half price in the F/S over next week or so.Aprrox 1 set ready per week. Run of 4 sets for D2k and 1 set for 5K/7K to recover my costs on first run errors etc....and my own cans will finally be put back together again.....after so long ;-(  Will be stained and lacquered....5 color choices uploaded later. Will be using different wood on next lot, but for now this was my best option in proto phase.

Looking forward to seeing these.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,354 of 5,248
  Looking forward to seeing these.

$99 inc. tracked international shipping on proto batch. I have photos right here, but not sanded or stained as yet. Target is 1 set per week on-going on proto run. If you take stock plastic cups as small size, these are medium sized and will also do deep dish cups as well.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #4,355 of 5,248

$99 inc. tracked international shipping on proto batch. I have photos right here, but not sanded or stained as yet. Target is 1 set per week on-going on proto run. If you take stock plastic cups as small size, these are medium sized and will also do deep dish cups as well.

keen to see some photos...need to woodify my D2000!

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #4,356 of 5,248
  Going to have a run of Burmese Ironwood proto woodie cups going half price in the F/S over next week or so.Approx 1 set ready per week. Run of 4 sets for D2k and 1 set for 5K/7K to recover my costs on first run errors etc....and my own cans will finally be put back together again.....after so long ;-(  Will be stained and lacquered....5 color choices uploaded later. Will be using different wood on next lot, but for now this was my best option in proto phase.

I'm in 100%.  Mike has sold me my HE-6 suspension strap as well as velour topped Denon ear pads and the quality of work, communication and delivery is outstanding.  I am thrilled to get a set of cups at an incredible price! 

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4,357 of 5,248
Just received my D5000 yesterday.  These headphones are beautiful and I didn't think it's as flimsy as some head-fiers make it out to be.  Comfort levels are top notch.

Had a listen for about an hour with a mixture of Electronica and Slow Rock songs.  Bass is fast/accurate but is a little overwhelming/punchy for me, especially on certain bass-heavy recordings.  

Struggled with some treble peaks as well in what I felt was harshness.

I'm a fairly low volume listener but after the hour I had to take off the D5000.  Had a slight headache for a couple of hours.  Unsure at this point if it's the bass or treble peaks that were causing the headache.

Don't get me wrong.  I think these are great cans and I'd love to listen to them all day.  Might just have to avoid certain recordings on them for the time being.  

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4,358 of 5,248
I put the D5k cups back on my D2000.  This time I added a little cotton and the flabbiness seems to be gone.  I'm loving how they sound...and I don't think I'll ever put the plastic cup on again.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #4,359 of 5,248
Lawton is Out but Martin Custom does the best work at a good price. Paid $250 installed for COCOBOLO cups but he just moved and is not up and working yet I think. Even when he gets up and running you have to be patient as it will require you to send your phones in and be without them a coup,e months at least.

There's a couple other guys doing cups - Folex had some made but not sure if he's offering to make them for folks yet, and member Lohb is going to be in the biz soon. He will be worth waiting for I think.

I might have some information regarding Lohb's cup shortly. He sent me a message, and I'll let you guys know, what I know if he decides to carry out the actions he specified in his email

that sat how ever, I would wait for him. His products are rather nice, I've got some wood cups for my HE 4 from him 

speaking of the HE 4, I think the headphone sounds terrible for games, so I'm happy to say my LA D5k is my dedicated gaming headphone these days! It adds a nice "weight" to my games, everything I do sounds heavier, and I happen to like that. The HE 4... lacks the weighty bottom end that I've come to like in my video games,

ofc for music the HE 4 is still king, and for movies it's a draw between the two, how ever for gaming. All hail LA D5k! 

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4,360 of 5,248
  I put the D5k cups back on my D2000.  This time I added a little cotton and the flabbiness seems to be gone.  I'm loving how they sound...and I don't think I'll ever put the plastic cup on again.

I'm also happy to hear your enjoying the cups! I have to say I'm REALLY like the Alpha Pads! I'm using my LA D5k MUCH more than I did my LA D2k [which apprently the two headphones had the same driver, but different wood an pads] either way the Alpha Pads were a winner! 

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #4,361 of 5,248
Just received my D5000 yesterday.  These headphones are beautiful and I didn't think it's as flimsy as some head-fiers make it out to be.  Comfort levels are top notch.

Had a listen for about an hour with a mixture of Electronica and Slow Rock songs.  Bass is fast/accurate but is a little overwhelming/punchy for me, especially on certain bass-heavy recordings.  

Struggled with some treble peaks as well in what I felt was harshness.

I'm a fairly low volume listener but after the hour I had to take off the D5000.  Had a slight headache for a couple of hours.  Unsure at this point if it's the bass or treble peaks that were causing the headache.

Don't get me wrong.  I think these are great cans and I'd love to listen to them all day.  Might just have to avoid certain recordings on them for the time being.  

It's been several years since I opened the box on my D5000, but my memories of that time are EXACTLY as you described. I bet if I go back into my old Head-Fi posts, I probably see many of the same phrases you used.

If you can swing it, send the D5000 to Lawton Audio. Get the tuning and angle pads. The piercing highs will be tamed, as will the overwhelming bass. And your headaches should subside.

Note that before I went the LA route, I tried using the Gilmore Lite amp to tame the bass. Was mildly successful, but it did nothing for the treble. Also tried the Darkvoice 332 amp and a few different tubes. It mostly brought more mids and unnecessary depth to the bass.

Now I use a Objective2 amp and ODAC with great results.

Good luck!

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #4,363 of 5,248
The piercing highs will be tamed, as will the overwhelming bass. And your headaches should subside.

Someone just posted in TH-600 thread over the last week or so that using drawer liner discs on the ear-side under the ear-pads will take the edge off the treble....
A cheap and quick fix for those that are treble sensitive like me....
eek.gif
Going to give it a go asap....easily reversible and don't have to dive inside the cans...

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #4,364 of 5,248
  I might have some information regarding Lohb's cup shortly. He sent me a message, and I'll let you guys know, what I know if he decides to carry out the actions he specified in his email

that sat how ever, I would wait for him. His products are rather nice, I've got some wood cups for my HE 4 from him 

ok i'm keen!

you got photos of your HE4 Mshenay?

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4,365 of 5,248
It's been several years since I opened the box on my D5000, but my memories of that time are EXACTLY as you described. I bet if I go back into my old Head-Fi posts, I probably see many of the same phrases you used.

If you can swing it, send the D5000 to Lawton Audio. Get the tuning and angle pads. The piercing highs will be tamed, as will the overwhelming bass. And your headaches should subside.

Note that before I went the LA route, I tried using the Gilmore Lite amp to tame the bass. Was mildly successful, but it did nothing for the treble. Also tried the Darkvoice 332 amp and a few different tubes. It mostly brought more mids and unnecessary depth to the bass.

Now I use a Objective2 amp and ODAC with great results.

Good luck!

Just bought the DIY tuning kit + angled pads from Mark.  Can't wait!

Damn Christmas, just can't stop the spending.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back