Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 11, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #3,826 of 5,248

wp2cb34fbf_05_1a.jpg

Hard to tell but looks like a white texture that is glossy. 

Anyway, Mark told me via email when I was proposing doing my TH900 he made a comment about the shinyness switch.

Any way you slice it, his mods work.  My D7000 went from good to great after his work. 

Aluminum has a natural whiteness compared to other metals like steel. Regardless of the color, its still aluminum foil based on Fatmat's description.  

I don't doubt the effectiveness of it tightening up the bass, but it's not something i would risk increased harshness for it. That is, assuming that it is true that the foil layer has this effect.

Perhaps covering up the foil with felt might absorb the higher frequencies?

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3,827 of 5,248
Do any of you guys know how a modded D2k stands up to the TH-900 ?
I think the Th-900 has deeper cups/different pads/stronger magnet inside ...but essentially you could put a D2k cup on a TH-900 and vice versa as the diameter and screw hole positions are essentially the same ?

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #3,828 of 5,248
  Aluminum has a natural whiteness compared to other metals like steel. Regardless of the color, its still aluminum foil based on Fatmat's description.  

I don't doubt the effectiveness of it tightening up the bass, but it's not something i would risk increased harshness for it. That is, assuming that it is true that the foil layer has this effect.

Perhaps covering up the foil with felt might absorb the higher frequencies?

I think that stuff is a paper of some variety, I might be wrong but my Dynamex had a black foil, and I have some other dampening material with paper on the sticky side 

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #3,829 of 5,248
OMG GUYS!

Just got ODAC/O2 combo! Tested it with my Ultrasones and some nice improvements but hooked up my D2000, and HOLY S#@T! I may have a new best friend!

I have to go to work soon, but wow! They sound so much better now! Soundstage JUST exploded!

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,830 of 5,248
  Do any of you guys know how a modded D2k stands up to the TH-900 ?
I think the Th-900 has deeper cups/different pads/stronger magnet inside ...but essentially you could put a D2k cup on a TH-900 and vice versa as the diameter and screw hole positions are essentially the same ?

To my 52 year old ears the difference isn't drastic.  My D2000 cups are custom aftermarket and are way deeper than the TH900's stock, but I had to Dynamat them as well as put some acoustic filler in them to get the sound "just right" but it was worth it.  They sound really good and will not be selling them. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #3,834 of 5,248
I don't seem to get the treble hottness at ALL with films/TV shows....strange ! With FLAC through Audirvana+ ooh yes.
Been progressively taking the high-end down with internal materials but wary that the mids were recessed from the get-go.

IMO, coming from the NAD HP-50...D2k own the lower region impact/soundstage and HP-50s own the upper region for absolutely smooth treble.Modded Fostex T50RP owning the mids 100% for vivid dynamic micro-detail lushness....
Now if I could just combine all three cans....
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #3,835 of 5,248
Today I got an excellent deal on the D7000... Excellent condition, the plug is just a bit dirty, but that's not the problem here! I had the D2000 earlier, but I forgot how much I loved the Denon sound... The Hifiman HE-400 is also very good, but this bass is just...

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,836 of 5,248
  Today I got an excellent deal on the D7000... Excellent condition, the plug is just a bit dirty, but that's not the problem here! I had the D2000 earlier, but I forgot how much I loved the Denon sound... The Hifiman HE-400 is also very good, but this bass is just...

HEY JIMMY, glad to hear you got my HE 400 safely, I wondered what happend to you brother q.q

I got my D2k from Jimmy, glad though to hear you've got a good deal on a D7k! I too want to hear one....  

as much as I like the Denon Sound, I've started to find that I prefer the bass response of headphones like the HE 4 and LCD 2 over the D2k that I have 

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,837 of 5,248
  HEY JIMMY, glad to hear you got my HE 400 safely, I wondered what happend to you brother q.q

I got my D2k from Jimmy, glad though to hear you've got a good deal on a D7k! I too want to hear one....  

as much as I like the Denon Sound, I've started to find that I prefer the bass response of headphones like the HE 4 and LCD 2 over the D2k that I have 

Why so? What's improved vs. the D2000 bass? It certainly can't beat the sub bass?!

But also, LCD 2 and HE 4 are more expensive than the D2k.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,838 of 5,248

Why so? What's improved vs. the D2000 bass? It certainly can't beat the sub bass?!

But also, LCD 2 and HE 4 are more expensive than the D2k.

well on the HE 4 it is the sub bass, on the LCD 2... imo the LCD 2 Fazor is on par with the D2k bass wise, yes the D2k has more sub bass, but the LCD 2 is faster 

the HE 4 is how ever faster than and more conotrolled and tactile than both 

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,839 of 5,248

Hey man,

I've really been on and off all forums this year, but have time to look at them now. We should probably still exchange feedback? ^^ How's the D2k?

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,840 of 5,248
I've owned a D7000 before, it's got slightly better resolution, smoother but less bright highs, a bit more depth, less bass than D2000 though its tighter, it's a bit more balanced.  To me however the differences are very subtle, maybe 10% or so. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back