Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #496 of 5,248
The D5000s are similar in overall character to my Acoustic Energy EVO 3 speakers, which have a similar solid 'grounded' sound due to their strong and deep lows.
And I don't find D5000s mids to be recessed, never ??

I am having a hard time trying to imagine how the mids could possibly sound any more forward and with it sounding any better.
Eq-ing the mids, bringing them more upfront makes the sound weirdly flat and 'echo-y' (I cannot describe it any better), makes it sound very un-natural.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #497 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think it's the fit, try gently pushing them in and see if the bass increases accordingly. The way you describe the bass is COMPLETELY inaccurate for Denons. They have literally, pardon the language, a **** ton of bass, both quantity and impact. It is very deep and unrelenting as well, a bit too much in my opinion (in some cases way too much).

If proper amping (iPod/CD Player are not proper amping for these cans, despite their misleading impedance, they are fairly low sensitivity), along with a proper fit don't give them more bass than your HD650s I'd check with whoever you purchased them from because it could very well be a faulty pair.

I will wait for my wa6 to arrive this week before making any conclusions,but right now,the bass is not more powerful than hd650.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #499 of 5,248
Leave default Op amp but change buffers to the ones that end with 52...

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #500 of 5,248
I am currently waiting for the hi flight op amp topkit. It will be here in a couple of days i hope. Excited to find out if there are any audible differences between the stock amps and hiflights.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #501 of 5,248
I need to order Hi flights op amp kit as well, again where and how do I do it?

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #503 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000s are similar in overall character to my Acoustic Energy EVO 3 speakers, which have a similar solid 'grounded' sound due to their strong and deep lows.
And I don't find D5000s mids to be recessed, never ??

I am having a hard time trying to imagine how the mids could possibly sound any more forward and with it sounding any better.
Eq-ing the mids, bringing them more upfront makes the sound weirdly flat and 'echo-y' (I cannot describe it any better), makes it sound very un-natural.

I got a wonky echoy sound on my D2000 with some EQs and when bumping up too wide of a midrange frequency range. Graphic EQs with around 12 bands can do that as well because the low number of bands don't give you enough control to choose the right frequencies. And some EQs are just wonky to begin with. Try a parametric EQ like Electri-Q or EasyQ (both VST plugins).

With the D2000 I EQ from 1K to 4K with most of the EQ around the 2-3K region. I've not listened to a D5000, but looking at the HeadRoom FR graph it might not need any (or just very little) EQ compared to the D2000. My EQ bump for my D2000 would get the FR looking more like the D5000 midrange curve. So maybe the D5000 doesn't need the EQ like I find the D2000 to need it.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #504 of 5,248
So I tried out the stock pads again today, and had some interesting findings. The headphones are MUCH more aggressive and forward than with the J$ pads. It seemed like the J$ pads seemed to have sucked the mids and highs right out, even though it was controlling the bass more, so everything just sounds more distant rather than more balanced. The soundstaging was obviously superior with the J$ pads though.

I'm wondering what the stuffed pads would be like now, maybe the best balance between the two? The comfort of the stock pads is FAR superior to that of the J$ pads, so maybe that comfort and aggressiveness with a little bit more soundstaging on the stuffed pads would be perfect?

Also has anybody had their stock pads start to flake at all? I'm curious as my old Audio-Technica A900s flaked after about a year of heavy use, so I'm wondering if Denon has the same issue.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #505 of 5,248
I've had my D2000's for a little more than a week now and decided to compare them to my HD280's just for fun. After a bit of listening, I'm very confused. The bass I've heard so much about seems maybe slightly better than the 280's. I really like the D2000's for jazz the only problem with this is I mainly listen to trance and jazz is a very distant second. The D2000's are infinitely more comfortable than the 280's. The soundstage on the D2000's is also superior to the 280's. In most of the jazz songs I've listened to all I have to do is close my eyes and I'm instantly transported to a table at a small jazz nightclub. Needless to say gaming with the D2000's is also better. I'm not an expert on sound but from what I had read I expected more bass wise. Anyone know what's going on?

I'm playing both of these out of my Acer netbook and testing using a combination of high bitrate mp3's and flac files. I'll try them out of my gaming rig a little later.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #506 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I tried out the stock pads again today, and had some interesting findings. The headphones are MUCH more aggressive and forward than with the J$ pads. It seemed like the J$ pads seemed to have sucked the mids and highs right out, even though it was controlling the bass more, so everything just sounds more distant rather than more balanced. The soundstaging was obviously superior with the J$ pads though.

I'm wondering what the stuffed pads would be like now, maybe the best balance between the two? The comfort of the stock pads is FAR superior to that of the J$ pads, so maybe that comfort and aggressiveness with a little bit more soundstaging on the stuffed pads would be perfect?

Also has anybody had their stock pads start to flake at all? I'm curious as my old Audio-Technica A900s flaked after about a year of heavy use, so I'm wondering if Denon has the same issue.

I have not yet had the stock pads flake on any Denons that I have owned. Despite their diminutive nature, the Denon pads seem to be assembled out of fairly decent materials.

I have recently made extensive comparisons between the MD5000's with the stock and J$ V2 pads. I prefer the latter, by a wide - no pun intended - margin. The soundstaging is indeed much better. I like what they do for the highs and mid's as well. Keep in mind that I have the full Dynamat modding in place. This may help prevent the mid's from being sucked out too much. I am willing to bet that, apart from a very expensive cable upgrade, the best thing you can do to improve your D2000's/D5000's, is the Dynamat mod combined with the J$ pads. I'm loving these more and more with each listen!
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #507 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not yet had the stock pads flake on any Denons that I have owned. Despite their diminutive nature, the Denon pads seem to be assembled out of fairly decent materials.

I have recently made extensive comparisons between the MD5000's with the stock and J$ V2 pads. I prefer the latter, by a wide - no pun intended - margin. The soundstaging is indeed much better. I like what they do for the highs and mid's as well. Keep in mind that I have the full Dynamat modding in place. This may help prevent the mid's from being sucked out too much. I am willing to bet that, apart from a very expensive cable upgrade, the best thing you can do to improve your D2000's/D5000's, is the Dynamat mod combined with the J$ pads. I'm loving these more and more with each listen!
biggrin.gif

I definitely prefer the sound of the J$ pads to the stock, but I find that the J$ pads push the headband so wide on my head that the headband creates a pressure point on the top of my head, causing fatigue. Maybe loosening up the headphones a little more will resolve this, I'll test tomorrow as I'm going to bed soon.

I've been wearing the same headphones with stock pads for 5 hours straight now, no fatigue at all, but with J$ pads I tend to have the top of my head get sore after about 2 hours and I have to give them a rest after about 3 hours.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #508 of 5,248
I would expect that you will eventually get used to this. I recall my HD-25-1 II's being extremely uncomfortable, but within a week of constant, painful use, they broke in a bit and my ears were also a bit tougher. Past that point, no problem.
smily_headphones1.gif
After using the J$ pads a lot, I have found that the stock ones seem a bit too slack around these ears. Too much sliding around, due to lack of extra pressure and the fact the the ear holes are much bigger on the stock versions. Plus, the stock pleather causes the ears to sweat noticeably more.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #509 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would expect that you will eventually get used to this. I recall my HD-25-1 II's being extremely uncomfortable, but within a week of constant, painful use, they broke in a bit and my ears were also a bit tougher. Past that point, no problem.
smily_headphones1.gif
After using the J$ pads a lot, I have found that the stock ones seem a bit too slack around these ears. Too much sliding around, due to lack of extra pressure and the fact the the ear holes are much bigger on the stock versions. Plus, the stock pleather causes the ears to sweat noticeably more.

Yeah the sweating is an issue with stock pads, I agree. But as for adapting to them, I've had them for a few months now. It wasn't an issue before getting Lawton cups but the added weight of the Lawton cups (which I've had for almost as long as the pads anyways, about 3 months, a week longer than the pads) seems to have overdone it.

But yeah, after 3 months of pain it hasn't changed in the slightest :|

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #510 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my D2000's for a little more than a week now and decided to compare them to my HD280's just for fun. After a bit of listening, I'm very confused. The bass I've heard so much about seems maybe slightly better than the 280's. I really like the D2000's for jazz the only problem with this is I mainly listen to trance and jazz is a very distant second. The D2000's are infinitely more comfortable than the 280's. The soundstage on the D2000's is also superior to the 280's. In most of the jazz songs I've listened to all I have to do is close my eyes and I'm instantly transported to a table at a small jazz nightclub. Needless to say gaming with the D2000's is also better. I'm not an expert on sound but from what I had read I expected more bass wise. Anyone know what's going on?

I'm playing both of these out of my Acer netbook and testing using a combination of high bitrate mp3's and flac files. I'll try them out of my gaming rig a little later.

Like I posted a little while ago the only reason you will the the d2000 doesnt deliver on bass is if you arent amping it. I would suggest just getting a uDac if you dont want to spend a whole lot cause it does amplify and i am running my d2k straight out of it for now and it sounds wonderful.

I was wondering if people are having a problem with the size of their phones because i have been putting my d2k's on a headphone stand and i think it was bending the head band because they arent as tight anymore I dont click out the headband at all anymore while I used to have it 2 notches out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back