Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #481 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the uDac is just a line-out DAC. Are you sure that it actually amplifies?

Yup. It's got a discrete amp section so no opamps or anything but it has a headphone jack and a built in amp. It is USB powered though, so I wouldn't expect any high-end current/voltage delivery or anything with harder to drive stuff. It also has a line out and S/PDIF output in the back.

It's great for the price, but I'm honestly skeptical with its synergy with Denons due to their warm nature. Did try my old D1001 with it (sold my old one to a friend; he brought it back for testing) and although it brought out extra detail and soundstage there was the little bit of the over syrupy/bloated low mid/bass centric sound (of course, for those who like that sort of signature, it is great).

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #482 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon pads are thinner on one half and thicker on the other half. The thin side goes to the front of the ear and the thick half behind the ear. That angles the cups. The pads can be rotated so they are in the correct orientation. The pads are slip-fit over a donut shaped plastic ring. Just rotate the pads. The donut plastic ring is also on four hooks/legs that lock in the headphone cup with a few degrees of clockwise rotation. A few degrees of counter-clockwise rotation of the plastic ring will unlock them. So if you rotate the pads counter-clockwise you could end up unlocking them and removing them from the cups. They're easy to put back.

Two ways to remove the pads is to press in (towards the cup) on the pads slightly while turning counter-clockwise. Or grip the plastic ring which is inside the bottom seam and twist counter-clockwise.

My iPod Classic (80GB) doesn't drive my D2000 with the control, deepness, and fullness that even a moderate amp can do for them. The iPod simply doesn't have what the Denon needs. Your Woo will do the trick. I'm actually a bit surprised that your CD player (is it a full size home CD player) isn't driving the Denon better than the iPod. But the headphone out on CD players are not all equal. I've tried some that were reasonably OK at driving the Denon (better than my iPod).

What is big bass varies from person to person. I consider the D2000 bass to be fairly balanced (not overdone) except on some songs where the particular mixing or mastering makes the D2000 overdone.

The D2000 goes deeper than my HD600. The D2000 lets me know when a pipe organ is playing a 32 foot pipe while the HD600 can only offer hints that the 32 foot pipe is being used. The D2000 can tickle and rumble with big bass songs while the HD600 simply does not. The D2000 lets you know when kick drums hit while the HD600 just politely waffs. The HD600 however has more bass control. Easier to hear bass fingerings and plucking technique with the HD600 than with the D2000. Bass attack and decay is faster with the HD600.

my Cd player drive them in terms better than ipod but not much better.the bass of the denons is weird,very soft and bloated with moderate punch.i know big bass when i hear it but the denons are not at all big bass.my k701 had a greater punch with super control and detail and hd650 the same but d5000 is not.in my experiance,an amp doesnt transform the sound signature of a headphone 180,you will still know it is the same headphone.i will wait till my wa6 arrives and if the d5000 sounded the same,i will sell or trade them unfortunatly,because i really like their sound especially mids.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #483 of 5,248
Wow, that is very strange indeed, I would recommend you trying Jmoney pads before selling D5000, you must be some serious bass head and I must be least bass head on the planet because I thought D5000 has plenty, pleeeetny of bass, again driving it with ipod not only bass would be faint, whole spectrum would be on the light side. anyhow wait for WA6 and order jmoney pads which are $55 before selling D5000 because you might regret it later. trust me....

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #484 of 5,248
i wont sell them,their mids and soundstage are lovely,i was just angry
biggrin.gif
.does your hd650 had more bass than the denons?i think the fit maybe the problem,they feel very unsecure and not tight,i'll see if i can stuff the pads a bit more and if nothing changed,i'll order jmoney pads.
EDIT:i am not a bass head at all,i like my hd650 bass for example and any more quantity will be much for me.
EDIT2:i took off the pads but i cant take off the white ring and i see it is stitched in the pleather,does it come off?

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #485 of 5,248
Why are you stuffing pads? just get jmoneys trust me, it improves everything. fit, soundstage, bass and so on. of course denons have more bass than HD650, much more. I don`t know I never heard D5000 from Ipod, anyhow just chill out and wait for Woo6, I am sure you will be blown away....

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #487 of 5,248
I have the D5000 and would describe them as and audiopile headphone with an extended bass and slightly recessed mids. But that's the thing, these are audiophile phones, not Dr Dre's. I can't imagine headphones with more bass than the Denons. This being said though, I have to agree that the bass quality isn't the greatest. My RS1i's have punchier and cleaner sounding bass than the D5000 imo. However, I have grown quite fond of the Denons for certain kinds of music after having them for a few months. They are now my go to all around phones when I don't feel like rocking out with Grados or spacing out with Beyers. I would suggest keeping them for a couple months, maybe trying the jmoney pads. These puppies have a way of growing on you.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #488 of 5,248
I find it fascinating how each of us interpret bass amount, so far the most important lesson I learned is that I am sparkle head, I care about highs more than any other range...

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #489 of 5,248
^^k701 will be perfect for you.plenty of sparkly highs,sharp treble and low bass quantity but excellent bass quality,deep tight and punchy.
The d5000 presentation is kind of relaxed and natural.I seriously don't know why people call them coloured,I find the midrange extremly lush and natural and the soundstage and 3D presentation is incredible and highs are sparkly but thankfully not fatiguing.Details are also excellent and they are relatively fast headphones,more faster than hd650.I find them suit all music genres except classical,hd650 is still the king in this genres.whenever there is a classical piece,I change it quickly when listening to d5000.I like the hd650 thick rich relaxing sound with classical and soft music.my only grip is the fit.I wish they have more secure and snug fit like the hd650.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #490 of 5,248
You see that is strange because I find D5000 midrange almost non existent, sure its there but it is very tight. over all it feels very contrasty due sparkly highs and impactful bass, that is reason why I like them to be honest but even with D5000 I had to push highs up with EQ, I think I am kind of a treble illness
frown.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #491 of 5,248
Wow,more treble then d5000??anymore and I will cry.The mids are recessed,more recessed than hd650 buy I wouldn't call them non-existing,that would be weird.I am yet to hear it is overshadowed by their bass,which is sleeping right now
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #492 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,I received my d5000 last tuesday from Nachkebia after trading.(thanks!) and I love everything except bass and fit.They are supremly comfortable but they don't have a tight grip like my hd650 and so they wiggle if I tilt my head backwards or forward.will the jmoney improve this?I am using it on the second notch but the fit is not secure.as for the bass.....no bass!!!I am using it currently with my iPod touch 2g untill my wa6 arrive this week and the bass is less than hd650! I was expecting thunderous head pounding bass from the king of bass denon but the result is dissapointing.no weight,no punch,no control no nothing.it sounds weird and very very soft,where is the darn bass that everyone is talking about????even out of my touch the hd650 is bassier.so what's wrong?I wonder if the pads have anything to do with it.

The problem is definitely the lack of current from your ipod. The bass on my D5000 is relatively sloppy and ill-defined out my ipod and even uDac. However I found that the bass is much tighter and controlled with a tube amp (Mapletree Ear+ with low-impedance plug). Funny what contrast effects do for your tastes- going back and forth to a weaker amplifier makes the sloppy bass much more noticeable. I'm sure you'll find a similar improvement with your Woo. I do find the highs too sparkly, but am trying to remedy that also with the right tube
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #493 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it fascinating how each of us interpret bass amount, so far the most important lesson I learned is that I am sparkle head, I care about highs more than any other range...

I'm the opposite. I tend to listen "down" to the bass, low mids, and the rhythm as the foundation that holds the music together. I do that for most forms of music that I listen to (rock, jazz, classical, other). I want a certain fullness or presence in the bass so that when my conscious or subconscious attention wanders down there that there is something there to keep the conscious and subconscious happy and give the rest of the music something to build on.

I try to avoid the term "bass head" because that can imply to some people that I boost the bass (I don't, never have) or listen to bass heavy music (I generally don't). I just consider the fullness and presence in the bass that I like to be the natural level of bass. That fullness and presence is no more than what you would get with a good three way or even a good larger two way speaker. To me the D2000 delivers on that fullness and presence in the bass that I want. It's a bit lacking in the accuracy and detail of the bass, but I can live with that. I'm not that picky.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #494 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wont sell them,their mids and soundstage are lovely,i was just angry
biggrin.gif
.does your hd650 had more bass than the denons?i think the fit maybe the problem,they feel very unsecure and not tight,i'll see if i can stuff the pads a bit more and if nothing changed,i'll order jmoney pads.
EDIT:i am not a bass head at all,i like my hd650 bass for example and any more quantity will be much for me.
EDIT2:i took off the pads but i cant take off the white ring and i see it is stitched in the pleather,does it come off?

If you think it's the fit, try gently pushing them in and see if the bass increases accordingly. The way you describe the bass is COMPLETELY inaccurate for Denons. They have literally, pardon the language, a **** ton of bass, both quantity and impact. It is very deep and unrelenting as well, a bit too much in my opinion (in some cases way too much).

If proper amping (iPod/CD Player are not proper amping for these cans, despite their misleading impedance, they are fairly low sensitivity), along with a proper fit don't give them more bass than your HD650s I'd check with whoever you purchased them from because it could very well be a faulty pair.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #495 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the opposite. I tend to listen "down" to the bass, low mids, and the rhythm as the foundation that holds the music together. I do that for most forms of music that I listen to (rock, jazz, classical, other). I want a certain fullness or presence in the bass so that when my conscious or subconscious attention wanders down there that there is something there to keep the conscious and subconscious happy and give the rest of the music something to build on.

I try to avoid the term "bass head" because that can imply to some people that I boost the bass (I don't, never have) or listen to bass heavy music (I generally don't). I just consider the fullness and presence in the bass that I like to be the natural level of bass. That fullness and presence is no more than what you would get with a good three way or even a good larger two way speaker. To me the D2000 delivers on that fullness and presence in the bass that I want. It's a bit lacking in the accuracy and detail of the bass, but I can live with that. I'm not that picky.

Same here. If the music has no body, then I won't enjoy listening. After a couple of months of listening to my D7000s, I put on my Shure E2Cs to see how much of a difference I could notice. They sounded completely lifeless because the low end was just non-existent.

The D7000s (and I'm sure the D5000s and D2000s are like this too) really mimic a full-range speaker system, down to the powerful subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back