Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #526 of 5,248
Hey I was wondering if any of you guys own any stax or have heard them and what your thoughts are on how the stack up against the dennon d2k I am considering making the leap to the stax family.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #527 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by parskey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I was wondering if any of you guys own any stax or have heard them and what your thoughts are on how the stack up against the dennon d2k I am considering making the leap to the stax family.

Stax are technically far superior to the D2000s, but they don't have the fun factor until you get to the high end O2s and 4070s. The O2s are known to be the fun electrostat without lacking detail or soundstage.

So I guess it depends on your taste, as does everything audio related. If you prefer technical accuracy and soundstaging to musicality and fun factor, get the Stax, if you prefer something you can just lay down and enjoy the music with, without worrying about detail retrieval and neutrality, stick with the D2Ks.

They are such different headphones it's really hard to compare them.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #528 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I was selling them anyways as even with the J$ pads I find the bass overpowering. I'm going to be picking up LA7000 Lites as I much preferred MD5000s to my D5000s, and I have some extra money so I figured I may as well upgrade rather than paying copious border fees both ways to have my D5000s modded.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear. I am sure that one of these days, it will be D7000's for me as well, if not LA7000's (which are a huge chunk of change, no?). I have not yet heard the unmodded D5000's, but feel that the MD5000's are "just right" as far as bass depth, power and control are concerned. The D5000's would likely be waaay too bassy, based on my current level of contentment. How much do LA7000 Lites run, anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #529 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. Good to hear. I am sure that one of these days, it will be D7000's for me as well, if not LA7000's (which are a huge chunk of change, no?). I have not yet heard the unmodded D5000's, but feel that the MD5000's are "just right" as far as bass depth, power and control are concerned. The D5000's would likely be waaay too bassy, based on my current level of contentment. How much do LA7000 Lites run, anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

The price varies depending on what the D7000s you're purchasing cost Mark. I've been quoted prices ranging from ~$1050 to ~$1175 in the past few months when I was on and off about buying them, that was about 4 different quotes.

I've compared the D5000 cable (same as D7000 in a different sheath) to the APS v3 and was not impressed with the difference for the cost, as the D7000/D5000 cable is a very good cable as stock. The APS gave barely any more top end energy, and that was really the only noticeable change I heard with it (I auditioned two D5000s side by side, one stock, one with APS). Due to this, alongside the fact that it's $500, I won't be getting the Jena recable and will be sticking with the Lites.

Oh if you wanted a nice improvement to your MD5000s, you should consider picking up the Lawton cups, they widen and deepen soundstage quite a bit and give the headphones a much fuller more musical sound (you'd end up with the LA5000 Lites which is the same as the LA2000 Lite, which apparently is very good with the LA7000 Lite being better but not unbelievably so).

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #530 of 5,248
I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to get j$ pads and wood cups or a new amp or dac? I currently have uDac->LD I+->d2000.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #531 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by parskey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to get j$ pads and wood cups or a new amp or dac? I currently have uDac->LD I+->d2000.

I'd get J$ pads and a new amp/DAC for starters. The amp and DAC you're currently listening through are good beginners amps, but don't get near the potential of these cans. As for what to upgrade to, we'd need your budget.

The J$ pads are a reasonably inexpensive upgrade that makes a substantial improvement in SQ. Tames the bass and enlarges soundstage substantially.

The wood cups are definitely a great upgrade as well, but I wouldn't prioritize it over an amp/DAC upgrade with the low end amp/DAC you're currently using. I'd say the soundstage increase is similar to that of the J$ pads, but the J$ pads change the way the sound is presented in a positive way (blends it together more) whereas the cups just add a little more separation.

The cups basically just enlarge soundstage, give the headphones a fuller, richer sound (and that's coming from D5000 wood cups, it'd probably a quite substantial improvement in musicality over the plastic cups of the D2000), and if you have Mark add damping tames the bass a bit.

But yeah, amp/DAC and J$ pads first, then wood cups later, just because the amp/DAC will be a larger improvement than anything else.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #532 of 5,248
thank necrolic that was the way I was leaning but it's always nice to hear it from some one else too. What amp or dac would you recommend as an upgrade for me I am looking at spending 300-400 so what I am looking at now is dacmagic, MF Vdac, and the gamma2.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #533 of 5,248
Last night the stud that attach's the earcup to the headband on my d2000's sheared in two, so I need a new stud and nut. I have sent an email to denon asking if they supply them or if I can buy then from some where. Does anyone know if they provide this service or where I can get them from.

Sorry if this has been answered before in this thread but I havent got the time to read through it at the moment.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #534 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night the stud that attach's the earcup to the headband on my d2000's sheared in two, so I need a new stud and nut. I have sent an email to denon asking if they supply them or if I can buy then from some where. Does anyone know if they provide this service or where I can get them from.

Sorry if this has been answered before in this thread but I havent got the time to read through it at the moment.

This exact same thing happened to mine. I haven't contacted Denon yet though for replacement parts. Curious to see what they tell you.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #535 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea some people have reported the issue and their is a diy fix Ill look around for the thread/posts but try searching for it hopefully someone knows where it is and can post it up real quick.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #537 of 5,248
yeah thats what i was looking for I dont think it should be to hard.
step1. go to hardware store
step2. buy bolt and nut
step3. install
step4. victory

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #538 of 5,248
Got my Denon d5000 today in the mail. I am very impressed. I only have a pair of IE8 to compare them to (and koss portapro) and the d5000 outranks them by far. I recieved the J$ pads as well in the mail yesterday and only testet the stock pads for an hour or so. The j$ are far better, opens up the soundstage and tightens the bass. + they are more comfortable and keeps the headphones in place. I don.t find the bass boomy or anything like others here have proclaimed. Guess I.m kind of an bass head
biggrin.gif

I use the ibasso D10 as amp for these and find it more than good enough to power the denons (not that I have tried any other amps).

I have only listened to them for 3-4 hours. Startet with The Postal Service, then The Fountain OST, Four tet - There is love in you, Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles and now I. m listening to Burial - Untrue.

I am very pleased
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
How much to they benefit from burn in?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #540 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by klekk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Denon d5000 today in the mail. I am very impressed. I only have a pair of IE8 to compare them to (and koss portapro) and the d5000 outranks them by far. I recieved the J$ pads as well in the mail yesterday and only testet the stock pads for an hour or so. The j$ are far better, opens up the soundstage and tightens the bass. + they are more comfortable and keeps the headphones in place. I don.t find the bass boomy or anything like others here have proclaimed. Guess I.m kind of an bass head
biggrin.gif

I use the ibasso D10 as amp for these and find it more than good enough to power the denons (not that I have tried any other amps).

I have only listened to them for 3-4 hours. Startet with The Postal Service, then The Fountain OST, Four tet - There is love in you, Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles and now I. m listening to Burial - Untrue.

I am very pleased
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
How much to they benefit from burn in?

Which buffers are you using on D10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back