Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 14, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,231 of 4,391
May 15, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #1,233 of 4,391
Awesome. Thanks man. What would you recommend for a 6.35 mm to 3.5 mm adapter for its stock cable?
Copoer , Fiio makes an adaptor. Or have the 6.35 removed.

May 15, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #1,234 of 4,391
Nice mod.
I guess, it is due to the wider inner circle of the pad openings?
For me, that's the main reason i didn't bought the Denons in the past.
With the 009 pads, the auricles has a lot more air to breathe and the outer ears receives more of the sound waves.

True! Actually, two main factors:
- larger and slightly elliptic inner opening
- less internal foam mass (related, less angle), pretty optimal.

I suggest inner opening of 50x70 mm, and as little foam mass as possible.
From here one can calculate the external diameter vs height.
Foam density is also critical. Stax foam is pretty optimal.

May 15, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,235 of 4,391
I really wanted to like the 9200 however ultimately ended up returning the headphone to seller. Most of the user feedback and reviews of the 9200 suggested that it's a refinded version of the 7200, but after a closer encounter with the 9200 I realized that it had a completely different sound signature. The main reason I sent it back is its lack of lower end punch and its brightness: music just had not enough body for me sounding somehow lifeless and the hot treble attracted attention to itself too much. Back to my beloved 7200 and happy again. Enjoy the music!

Incidentally the modded 009 pads help with the treble issue, it makes deep bass more impactful and larger sound stage.

Which one do you find yourself leaning more towards? The TH900 or 9200?

Myself I use the modded (damping, damper rings, pads) TH900 for movies + games and the modded (pads) D9200 for music (including music movies), when I don't reach out for my e-stats. Both are keepers.
The mD9200 has more sub-bass impact with a more dry but accurate bass, the TH900 has more bass impact with a bass bloom and some coloration in the mids and treble.
The D9200 has slightly clearer sound with more perceived resolution (meaning not treble, but fine nuances in sound), but transparency, resolution is similar.
The TH900 is slightly louder (very efficient drivers/enclosure), but I guess that is also the reason for the more colorations.

May 15, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,236 of 4,391
As to the cable topic, if anyone also has the D7200, could you try those cables with the D9200 and report back what do you hear?
I consistently enjoy more the D7200 cables with the D9200 (and vice versa).
Extrapolating from there, I assumed that pure copper cables sound better with the D9200 than silver plated copper.
I tested that hypothesis with 2 cables so far and it seemed true: improved micro-dynamics, better sound balance (a bit deeper sound) and less treble spike (actually, more defined treble).
Also, it seems the larger the copper strands diameter, the more the effect described above. If you don't mind stiffer cables, 0.3-0.4 mm strands work best IMHO: dynamic, transparent, clean, well defined.
I have also tried pure silver cable, which also sounds better (mainly smoother) than the silver plated copper - though I still prefer the "copper sound" with that headphone.
Conversely, the D7200 benefits from pure silver and even from silver plater copper (D9200 cable). Funny.

I was wondering if it was just the psychology of change? Perhaps, but not sure, as I had multiple testing rounds over the past months, consistently with the same results.

May 15, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,237 of 4,391
Hope your mod suits the D7200 also.
I hate the small openings of the Denons, but now things have changed with this in mind. :))

Thank you. :beerchug:

May 15, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,238 of 4,391
As to the cable topic, if anyone also has the D7200, could you try those cables with the D9200 and report back what do you hear?
I consistently enjoy more the D7200 cables with the D9200 (and vice versa).
Extrapolating from there, I assumed that pure copper cables sound better with the D9200 than silver plated copper.
I tested that hypothesis with 2 cables so far and it seemed true: improved micro-dynamics, better sound balance (a bit deeper sound) and less treble spike (actually, more defined treble).
Also, it seems the larger the copper strands diameter, the more the effect described above. If you don't mind stiffer cables, 0.3-0.4 mm strands work best IMHO: dynamic, transparent, clean, well defined.
I have also tried pure silver cable, which also sounds better (mainly smoother) than the silver plated copper - though I still prefer the "copper sound" with that headphone.
Conversely, the D7200 benefits from pure silver and even from silver plater copper (D9200 cable). Funny.

I was wondering if it was just the psychology of change? Perhaps, but not sure, as I had multiple testing rounds over the past months, consistently with the same results.

How does the 7200 cable compare to the shorter copper 9200 cable with the 1/4 adapter?

For me and my experiences, it feels like everything moves up like half an octave with the silver cables (if that makes any sense at all). That is just using stock cables though. Was thinking about picking up some aftermarket cables but have not made that leap yet. I still need to buy a couple of tubes for my Project Ember and have been thinking about picking up a complimentary headphone for the 9200. So ~$70-120 for a cable really is not exactly in the budget at the moment.

I would consider trading my silver cable for a 7200 Copper cable or trying to sell it, but I really don't want to part with any of the original contents with this headphone.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,239 of 4,391
On an unrelated note. I feel like a ZMF Pilot Pad is an incredible pickup for these headphones. Fit is a bit tight but it alleviates all of the comfort issues that I have had with these.
Wearing these headphones has turned from an obligation and a chore into a joy. Before I picked up the pilot pad I had to have an internal debate if I wanted good audio or comfort. Now I just pick the sound signiture that I am after and just wear them without any witholdings. Such a small thing has made such a big difference in my enjoyment.

I initially tried dekoni nuggets but within about 3 minuites of putting them on, I got uncomfortable putting strong adhesive on the leather and promptly took it off. Spend the extra $10 and just get a pilot pad. The velcro is as smooth and non-abrasive as you can get velcro to be, so I don't have too many worries about abrasion on the leather.

Fit is a bit snug but it will fit.

May 16, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,240 of 4,391
Some headphones react better to tubes, others to solid-states. I find D9200 sounds best out of solid-states. Not difficult to drive either.

My preference is to make D9200 dry sounding to get more resolve because when a little wet, sounds becomes too less distinct and it's technicalities doesn't seem as impressive. This is why I prefer soli-state and not tubes. TH900 benefits from tubes in comparison.

The impedance is low, so make sure the tube amp has low impedance as well. I think BH sex would work as it has 4 ohm output impedance.

Tube amps in general are hit or miss, causes sounds to blend, although there are rare ones that separate sounds well. Like BH Mainline for example I dislike due to blended sound and lack of power for being their flagship model with the most expensive price.

Headphones that really benefits from tubes are Sennheisers.
well i have chord tt2 and auris euterpe. definitely i prefer to listen to my denon on euterpe with chord tt2 as a dac to the euterpe, its not even comparable, for first time I know what a dam good tube amp means, unlike those lousy dark voice, or la figaro amps are. Get the euterpe and add a great dac to it and you will never listen to your headphones on a solid state amp again.

I have 2 euterpe, one i am keeping for myself, and the other I am selling as it was meant for office use, as now my work is from home, and after hearing auris euterpe i can never ever go back to solid state amps, man I own chord hugo tt2 and corda soul by meier audio, and I can tell you simply get a dam great tube amp with a great dac and you will thank me for me that, the denon 9200 will be a bliss on a great tube amp, and one advise avoid those massdrop tube amps, just get a real good tube amp from companies such as woo audio like their w33 or auris euterpe or nirvana

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,241 of 4,391
Important update.
I followed @zolkis tutorial,buy a pair 009 earpads and remove the White Rings.
Today the pads arrived,after finish work i tried my denon.
Is simply another headphone.
I start to say that the soundstage become really impressive,equal to hd820 (ex owner).
High frequencies become simply much Better,more definied but the excessive sharpness is totally gone.
The middle frequencies are slightly recessed, but are even more natural than before and the listening experience result less fatiguing,but the punch Is always here.
Bass frequencies are spectacular,more choerent in sound timbre in general.
The reverberation of instruments and voices has improved dramatically,these headphone simply sound totaly Amazing.
sounde more organic and natural,microdetail improved....really i'm speechless.
I know,for 180.00 € a earpads pair aren't cheap,but of you want a closed headphone better than utopia (logically IMHO) with 820 soundstage you MUST buy these pads.
Amazing.
amazing
I take this opportunity to thank so much @zolkis and for his patience.
fantastic mod.
so are now vocals less full, and more recessed as to me what i adore bout the denon is how it reproduces vocals. i tried so many pads and gave up, the fact is only stock pads sound best with 9200

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,242 of 4,391
Incidentally the modded 009 pads help with the treble issue, it makes deep bass more impactful and larger sound stage.

Myself I use the modded (damping, damper rings, pads) TH900 for movies + games and the modded (pads) D9200 for music (including music movies), when I don't reach out for my e-stats. Both are keepers.
The mD9200 has more sub-bass impact with a more dry but accurate bass, the TH900 has more bass impact with a bass bloom and some coloration in the mids and treble.
The D9200 has slightly clearer sound with more perceived resolution (meaning not treble, but fine nuances in sound), but transparency, resolution is similar.
The TH900 is slightly louder (very efficient drivers/enclosure), but I guess that is also the reason for the more colorations.

Where did you get the modded pads and such for your TH900? How do you feel they affect the sound vs. the stock pads?

May 16, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,243 of 4,391
so are now vocals less full, and more recessed as to me what i adore bout the denon is how it reproduces vocals. i tried so many pads and gave up, the fact is only stock pads sound best with 9200
Logically my toughts are based for my ears,you said vocals less full,while in my hopinion i feel "more analogue sound"...

May 16, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,244 of 4,391
Logically my toughts are based for my ears,you said vocals less full,while in my hopinion i feel "more analogue sound"...
i adore the denon 9200 and the only downside for me is i can not find stock pads to buy to keep the same sound signature, as I find myself keeping the denon for a very long time, and i always like to have my gear in mint condition, and maybe the stock the pads will wear off with time, so I like to have spare stock pads

but if the stax pads are an improvement then that is good news and i will buy a set

May 16, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,245 of 4,391
Well,for me i heard a huge improvement,firstly i love a open soundstage,and the earpads fix the denon soundstage (not small like stellia but also not comparable with other cans ex. Hd820 or th900,while now with the 009 pads Is even better than these two),second thing i feel much much more three-dimensionally...(the worst thing in the stock 9200 IMHO)after that i felt a improvement with low frequencies,fuller...while for clarity...for my Gear (sony wm1a with modifed firmware) i hear a bit less clarity,but i can't understand if Is the effect of "more analogue sound"(generally analogue sound=less clarity against digital sound but also fuller)or effectly losing in definition...
For fuller..i say...can you hear a differences between a record in 16 bit/44 kHz against 24 bit/96 kHz?well...i can't hear the differences between 44 and 96 kHz,while for the bit i can hear concretly the differences... with these pads each recording 16/44 for me sound fuller like 24/96..
in future i'll change my wm1a with wm1z and i'll post my impressions.. :)
P.s and IMHO with 009 earpads the 9200 is more comfortable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back