Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #4,381 of 4,391
Are ie 600 better than d9200? In terms of details, frequency balancing etc?
I wouldn't really compare IEMs vs Headphones as they are very different in how they present music. The IE 600 are more intimate because they are inside your ear, so I perceive more detail. That makes it's v-shape sound a lot more prominent and more fun than the D9200. The D9200 sound more detailed in the highs, which comes at the cost of the SSSS mentioned above. I like them both, I've just been enjoying the IEM form factor more recently and my music taste is more bass heavy, which I prefer on the IE 600.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #4,383 of 4,391
I've been comparing daily my D9200 to the E3 as closed backs used at work, I still like it very much.. even tough "leather" is cracking on the headband. Any recommandation to protect it ?
That sucks about the headband. I was considering these as a daily driver. As far as sound goes, which one is your preference between E3 and AH-D9200 at this point?

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #4,385 of 4,391
That sucks about the headband. I was considering these as a daily driver. As far as sound goes, which one is your preference between E3 and AH-D9200 at this point?
Point you in another direction with the new Meze Liric 2. I was also considering the E3 but couldn't get one to audition. So now I have the Lirics and have already ordered a new pair off the back of a living with an audition set for the last week. I would not ditch the Denons, they are staying as they do sound better on certain albums. I only play CD or SACD.

With albums that have a recessed mid range the Denons do a better job of bringing those mids forward into the mix, especially vocals. The Lirics are capable of pulling back those albums that are mixed a little hot in the treble. It's the soundstage is the biggest difference, the Meze are very wide for a closed back, it's pushing the Focal Clear MGs in this department.

There's a place for both the 9200s and the Lirics in my collection. If anything it's the Focals that are at risk of losing out and landing up in the classifieds.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #4,386 of 4,391
Point you in another direction with the new Meze Liric 2. I was also considering the E3 but couldn't get one to audition. So now I have the Lirics and have already ordered a new pair off the back of a living with an audition set for the last week. I would not ditch the Denons, they are staying as they do sound better on certain albums. I only play CD or SACD.

With albums that have a recessed mid range the Denons do a better job of bringing those mids forward into the mix, especially vocals. The Lirics are capable of pulling back those albums that are mixed a little hot in the treble. It's the soundstage is the biggest difference, the Meze are very wide for a closed back, it's pushing the Focal Clear MGs in this department.

There's a place for both the 9200s and the Lirics in my collection. If anything it's the Focals that are at risk of losing out and landing up in the classifieds.
I could definitely see the Liric 2s being a good counterpoint to the D9200. Nice collection you've amassed there!

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #4,387 of 4,391
I could definitely see the Liric 2s being a good counterpoint to the D9200. Nice collection you've amassed there!
Thank you. I like the way the planars are more mellow than dynamic drivers and as such are more forgiving to poorly recorded dynamically crushed albums. Perhaps the Denon's cross to bear for being very detailed. The Denon playing Steely Dan's newly released Aja on SACD is beautifully balanced.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #4,388 of 4,391
Thank you. I like the way the planars are more mellow than dynamic drivers and as such are more forgiving to poorly recorded dynamically crushed albums. Perhaps the Denon's cross to bear for being very detailed. The Denon playing Steely Dan's newly released Aja on SACD is beautifully balanced.
Yeah plus the Denon would prob have the edge on timbre and overall fun factor right?

Would you say the D9200 is more resolving? Impressive if so given price difference.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #4,389 of 4,391
Well, the only difference in sound Quality, between Denon and Hifiman HE1000V2 stealth was for me the soundstage.
Very easy to notice. Bit like listening to the speakers on your head :relaxed:The rest - voices, hights and base was the same. The Denon is just a very good headphone.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #4,390 of 4,391
Yeah plus the Denon would prob have the edge on timbre and overall fun factor right?

Would you say the D9200 is more resolving? Impressive if so given price difference.
Timbre on vocals on the Meze is very good, I like it a lot especially on artists like James Taylor and Jennifer Warnes. The Denons are indeed very detailed which can be a double edged sword especially with poor recordings. I like Haim but listening to their albums the Denons let you know when the brick wall has been hit. This is not the fault per se of the Denon but a problem we all experience with albums that are on the forefront of the loudness wars. The Meze does iron this out as the presentation is a little warmer throughout, more laid back if you like. The other main difference between them is that the Meze are more isolating. I trust my wife's judgement here as she said the leakage on the Meze is less than the Denons.

The Denon is a little more in your face, more brash, more fun perhaps and given the right recordings an absolute hoot. They are certainly more fun that my Focals.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #4,391 of 4,391
I have bought a few months ago a D5200 modified with D9200 drivers inside.
I like them very much and they are totally worth the 450£ I paid. I had an original D9200 in the past, so I can't make an A/B comparison. Based on memory those 2 does not sound the same as I remember the 9200 to be more resolving.
I was wondering if anyone had disassembled the D9200 and D5200 and compared the damping in the cups, as that is more likely to impact the sound that the different wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back