Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #4,351 of 4,391
For me personally, I know that I spent far too much money for these, buying them brand new. I've been reading a lot of posts in this thread, talking about sound quality. While sound quality is indeed an important factor, for buying headphones, it is not the only factor however.

I had been dealing with cheap pieces of garbage, plastic headphones that would break, for years! With that said, one of the biggest reasons I spent so much money on these, was so that I could get a pair of headphones built like a tank. I'm so tired of headphones that snap at the hinges, I'm so over it!

Now, if you were to ask me, if I think that the cost of the headphones, equal the value of what you get as well? The D5200 is what 400 dollars, and the D7200 is what 600 dollars? I think if the D9200 was 1000 dollars, the price would match the value IMO. Having said that however, being that the D9200's cost 1600 dollars new, I don't feel the price matches the value.

Don't get me wrong though, these are great headphones, and I certainly love mine. And I too hope that my pads will last several years.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #4,352 of 4,391
For me personally, I know that I spent far too much money for these, buying them brand new. I've been reading a lot of posts in this thread, talking about sound quality. While sound quality is indeed an important factor, for buying headphones, it is not the only factor however.

I had been dealing with cheap pieces of garbage, plastic headphones that would break, for years! With that said, one of the biggest reasons I spent so much money on these, was so that I could get a pair of headphones built like a tank. I'm so tired of headphones that snap at the hinges, I'm so over it!

Now, if you were to ask me, if I think that the cost of the headphones, equal the value of what you get as well? The D5200 is what 400 dollars, and the D7200 is what 600 dollars? I think if the D9200 was 1000 dollars, the price would match the value IMO. Having said that however, being that the D9200's cost 1600 dollars new, I don't feel the price matches the value.

Don't get me wrong though, these are great headphones, and I certainly love mine. And I too hope that my pads will last several years.
You're a little low on estimates for the D5200 and D7200. The retail price for the D5200 is $699 and the D7200 is $997. Those are current prices on Amazon.com.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #4,353 of 4,391
You're a little low on estimates for the D5200 and D7200. The retail price for the D5200 is $699 and the D7200 is $997. Those are current prices on Amazon.com.

Inflation is kicking hard....I snatched new D7200 few years ago for less than 400$

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #4,354 of 4,391
Inflation is kicking hard....I snatched new D7200 few years ago for less than 400$

Yep, inflation has gotten insanely bad! Everything costs too much now days, and its not like our income wages have raised enough to go up with the inflation percentages. I mean heck, the land owner raised my rent twice in 1-year now, and in the last raises, he raised it up by a whopping 50 bucks each time, so now I'm paying more for my rent, tons more in grocery costs. Its getting to the point where I now have to separate WANTS and NEEDS far more then I used to. And believe it or not, considering I had no other good pair of can's, I was forced to put my D9200's in the NEEDS category.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #4,355 of 4,391
Yep, inflation has gotten insanely bad! Everything costs too much now days, and its not like our income wages have raised enough to go up with the inflation percentages. I mean heck, the land owner raised my rent twice in 1-year now, and in the last raises, he raised it up by a whopping 50 bucks each time, so now I'm paying more for my rent, tons more in grocery costs. Its getting to the point where I now have to separate WANTS and NEEDS far more then I used to. And believe it or not, considering I had no other good pair of can's, I was forced to put my D9200's in the NEEDS category.

No surprise here as D9200 is very remarkable headphone for someone whose interested in qualities it can offer. a smallish stage compared to openbacks with focus on left/right presentation, but nevertheless accurately placed. Add very good detail, timbre and superb bass which to me is close to the qualities of D8000 which says a lot.

I have multiple headphones now and I miss bass on d9200 most. very fun with top tier tightness and extension. D7200 is much more looser, lcd2 has similar tightness, but impact is soft and not as fun as d9200. OG Utopia is simply tier below in that area. If prices would be as they were when I purchased D9200 it would be a no brainer, especially in used market.

D9200 can confidently be the only headphone that someone needs

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #4,356 of 4,391
Allow me to propose a test track for further investigation of this ("weird") imaging/soundstage problem, or as one of my preposters described it: only left, right and center (no quotation, only from memory). It's TOOL's "chocolate chip trip". In the first 60 seconds there is a sound swirling around your Head from left to right. While I hear more intermediate sounds than only in Center, right and left, I do notice one or two holes in between left and right. With the DT1990 these holes seem not to be present, I might be wrong or hear different than you do. I'd be glad to have checked it out by you.
EDIT: these theoretically and practically tiny holes in the soundstage/Imaging (could also be described as very very short breaks in this liquid transition from left to right) might also exist frequency dependent (maybe only in my head?)
EDIT2: it might also be a result of using XLR Headphone cables currently, furthermore new amp isn't burnt in yet
EDIT3: nevertheless, bass and subbass is more increased, harder, just more present with the new (neutral) amp and shows very well, what this headphone is capable of.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #4,357 of 4,391
Allow me to propose a test track for further investigation of this ("weird") imaging/soundstage problem, or as one of my preposters described it: only left, right and center (no quotation, only from memory). It's TOOL's "chocolate chip trip". In the first 60 seconds there is a sound swirling around your Head from left to right. While I hear more intermediate sounds than only in Center, right and left, I do notice one or two holes in between left and right. With the DT1990 these holes seem not to be present, I might be wrong or hear different than you do. I'd be glad to have checked it out by you.
EDIT: these theoretically and practically tiny holes in the soundstage/Imaging (could also be described as very very short breaks in this liquid transition from left to right) might also exist frequency dependent (maybe only in my head?)
EDIT2: it might also be a result of using XLR Headphone cables currently, furthermore new amp isn't burnt in yet
EDIT3: nevertheless, bass and subbass is more increased, harder, just more present with the new (neutral) amp and shows very good, what this headphone is capable of.
Yes there may well be “holes” in the soundstage but personally I think that’s only an issue if you’re expecting a fully realistic presentation- in this case I found it compensated for by it sounding quite unique/immersive but that’s just me and can see why others would be irked. Some closed backs have more cohesive staging but weirdly the D9200 still sounds very open for a closed back? Weird one!

Ultimately the D9200 goes for a fun and musical tuning, right? It all sounds slightly hyped and very, very vivid. Probably not the headphone for you if you want accuracy.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #4,358 of 4,391
Finally purchased these, they’ve been on my to buy list for a long time and certainly haven't disappointed from my initial listen sessions over the first two days. Not really like the other closed backs I have (TH900/MDR-Z1R/Focal Radiance being the closest pricewise). Looking forward to exploring my favourite albums with these over the coming weeks.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #4,359 of 4,391
Finally purchased these, they’ve been on my to buy list for a long time and certainly haven't disappointed from my initial listen sessions over the first two days. Not really like the other closed backs I have (TH900/MDR-Z1R/Focal Radiance being the closest pricewise). Looking forward to exploring my favourite albums with these over the coming weeks
Let us know how they compare with the rest of your other headphones when you have time.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #4,360 of 4,391
Yes there may well be “holes” in the soundstage but personally I think that’s only an issue if you’re expecting a fully realistic presentation- in this case I found it compensated for by it sounding quite unique/immersive but that’s just me and can see why others would be irked. Some closed backs have more cohesive staging but weirdly the D9200 still sounds very open for a closed back? Weird one!

Ultimately the D9200 goes for a fun and musical tuning, right? It all sounds slightly hyped and very, very vivid. Probably not the headphone for you if you want accuracy.
for me its definitely a reference grade headphone, not just fun&musical. Maybe my need for realistic presentation and accuracy is a bit under developed. But to (until now) date I didn't have any complaints about that.
Maybe I would speak a bit different if I played more UT99 and again didn't notice any or at least weak sound from this guy crouching behind me (in this perfect tiny sound hole spot) and fragging me again! I seem to be to old for this kind of games… today I could only miss this bass player moving on stage over to the other side while playing…

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #4,361 of 4,391
Mine is posing for a new owner
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/denon-ah-d9200-eu-ww.65402/
DSC_9795.JPG

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #4,364 of 4,391
Hello. I would need your advice. The leather on the headband of my Denon 9200 headphones has peeled off. I've been searching online, but I haven't found any affordable alternatives. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_6799.jpeg
    IMG_6799.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #4,365 of 4,391
Hello. I would need your advice. The leather on the headband of my Denon 9200 headphones has peeled off. I've been searching online, but I haven't found any affordable alternatives. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for any advice.
Is that really leather?
Buy a headband cover over that and it will probably be fine..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back