Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #4,367 of 4,391
Hi guys, thinking about buying one of these. How are the mids on this headphone? Are they good for vocal heavy music? I also heard there is a lot of sibilance involved with the highs is this true? Thanks
I listen to a lot of vocal heavy music with folk rock and singer songwriters being my favourite genres. Vocals are excellent in the mids as is detail and placement. Highs, the 9200s are more than capable of handling the high soprano of Joni Mitchell on her wonderful Blue album on redbook CDs (the MoFi stereo SACD is superb).

Sibilance usually comes from the recordings and the 9200 will, unfortunately, portray those notes quite faithfully. It's more elevated than my Focal Clears and you will notice it if you are particularly prone to high SSSSSSSSS. I do have a lot of female recordings in my collection, Annie Lennox, Wailin' Jennys, The Staves, Laura Marling to name a few and the Denon portrays the vocals very well.

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #4,368 of 4,391
Hi guys, thinking about buying one of these. How are the mids on this headphone? Are they good for vocal heavy music? I also heard there is a lot of sibilance involved with the highs is this true? Thanks
Hi
I can say only good things, about the Denon AHD9200 sound. Although i sold them not long ago to get something with some more space for my ears. Or just because i want something new. Anyway, for me, if we talk about the SSS in songs, i did not have it. It is a very good sounding headphone. Compared it with Hifiman HE1000 v 2 stealth and Arya Organic - only difference i could hear, was the soundstage and the Hifimans are so comfortable.
For the headband, i used the cover. To be honest, also did not used them that often. I was a Focal Clear owner as well, nice headphones but in Denon the classical for me sounds more alive.

Attachments

• 20240311_211925.jpg
    20240311_211925.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #4,370 of 4,391
@shaafmasood thanks for the rec! Any particular reason why you recommend the z1r?
@Conan1974 were you sensetive to any sibilance with another headphone? I particularly am sensetive with the SSSS part. Thanks for the info!
@thelittletaffia thanks for the info! I am afraid of the sibilance..
Looks like i still have to do some digging for mid forward headphones that arent sibilant

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #4,371 of 4,391
Hi
Yes, I had that ones on one of the audio shows, with Ananda, it wasn't like killing my ears but for sure not pleasant.
Checked on the Denon Ellie Goulding Burn song, was advised by someone to test the high. First reaction was like, o its really sharp, but after a moment and switching with the Arya Organic ( it is said that this one is sharp as well) the filling disappeared. It was more like very detailed than sharp.
I usually play a Fleetwood Mac song Seven Wonders ( if my memory serves me well) and you can hear the S but it was not annoying, present but not painful.
Ones I send a stereo amp back , because of that issue.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #4,372 of 4,391
I will never use any Denon headphones again. They are used driver quality is too low. The copper wire connected to the coil has torn the membrane. I have preserved it very carefully. but it seems they are made of extremely low quality stuff.
20240406_215404.jpg

20240406_215333.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #4,373 of 4,391
@shaafmasood thanks for the rec! Any particular reason why you recommend the z1r?
@Conan1974 were you sensetive to any sibilance with another headphone? I particularly am sensetive with the SSSS part. Thanks for the info!
@thelittletaffia thanks for the info! I am afraid of the sibilance..
Looks like i still have to do some digging for mid forward headphones that arent sibilant
The lower frequencies of z1r are great, the mids are also well done and higher frequencies are not sibilant like d9200 and soundstage is wayy bigger than denon, the sound picture is also greater due to 70mm drivers

Its overall a well rounded headphone
You can watch this review for more details:

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #4,374 of 4,391
I will never use any Denon headphones again. They are used driver quality is too low. The copper wire connected to the coil has torn the membrane. I have preserved it very carefully. but it seems they are made of extremely low quality stuff.20240406_215404.jpg

20240406_215333.jpg
Which model? Pointless making remarks if you don't qualify them showing which particular model you are referring to.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #4,376 of 4,391
This is ah d600.
The AH-D600 is a pair that is now over ten years old. It was just £200 when released in the UK compared to a £1600 price point for the AH-D9200. You cannot bemoan the build quality of an entry level pair of cans on an owners' thread that has absolutely no bearing on the 600s. I get it you're a little upset but that doesn't give the right to basically troll on a model that you have no experience of.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #4,378 of 4,391

Hi
Yes, I had that ones on one of the audio shows, with Ananda, it wasn't like killing my ears but for sure not pleasant.
Checked on the Denon Ellie Goulding Burn song, was advised by someone to test the high. First reaction was like, o its really sharp, but after a moment and switching with the Arya Organic ( it is said that this one is sharp as well) the filling disappeared. It was more like very detailed than sharp.
I usually play a Fleetwood Mac song Seven Wonders ( if my memory serves me well) and you can hear the S but it was not annoying, present but not painful.
Ones I send a stereo amp back , because of that issue.

Out of interest I stuck Tango in the Night on and tried Seven Wonders with my three pair of headphones. First the Oppo PM1s and found little sibilance on the track. Next came the Focals and again very little, I would say the same. Lastly the 9200s, it may be a tad more, but until you said about it I would not have noticed it. Ironically I let the album play with the Denons on and Lindsey Buckingham's z in lazy was quite pronounced on Caroline.

Listening to the three headphones I found the Denons did bring out a little more detail in the highs on the right hand channel of Seven Wonders than the other two. I played the CD on my Denon DCD-2500ne stereo SACD player using my Lehmann Linear map, cables for all were my Oidio Litz cables.

It could be down to the mastering of the album that you listen to. My CD is of 1987 vintage and has a pretty good dynamic range with Seven Wonders having a range of 1.26dB to 16.98dB. I well remember that the vinyl I had of the album and the iconic Rumours were absolutely dreadful with Rumours having to get to my third attempt to have one that wasn't badly warped. The CDs at the time were a breath of fresh air. One of the reasons I ditched vinyl a few years later. However I digress. Still wonderful ablums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back