Denon AH-D2000 vs. Sennheiser HD580 vs. Sennheiser HD600!
Aug 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #16 of 30
Thanks for the review. Your observations on the D2000 match mine for most parts. Their instrument separation is very good, and in some recordings the soundstage size just feel 'right'. Too bad markl modded doesn't seem to fix the issue with vocals.

The Senns seem to be underpowered though. That's exactly what I feel about them underamped. They scale very well with good amps.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #17 of 30
I added a rock song ; )

Quote:

Thanks for the review. Your observations on the D2000 match mine for most parts. Their instrument separation is very good, and in some recordings the soundstage size just feel 'right'. Too bad markl modded doesn't seem to fix the issue with vocals.

The Senns seem to be underpowered though. That's exactly what I feel about them underamped. They scale very well with good amps.

Thanks! The vocals on the Denon are fine, but they just don't have the same feeling the Senns give you.

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #18 of 30
Interesting.

Do you find that you can 'focus' on each seperate sound with the D2000, moreso than other cans? I'm looking for something that sounds like the ER6i or ER4p. Very, very detailed.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting.

Do you find that you can 'focus' on each seperate sound with the D2000, moreso than other cans? I'm looking for something that sounds like the ER6i or ER4p. Very, very detailed.

The Denon D2000's can clearly separate each instrument distinctly better than the other headphones that I've heard.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH-D2000
Looks sleek with the metal. I’m loving the leather pads, they feel very nice and I prefer them over the velour of the Sennheisers, but it does feel funny when you begin to sweat in them.

FYI, the ear pads on the Denon D2000 are synthetic "pleather", not real leather.

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #22 of 30
I think the ear pads on the ah-d7000 are made of leather, not the d2000 or the d5000. I kinda like the vinyl anyways on the d2000. Seems more hygienic because they don't absorb any dirt or liquid, just wipe them off. I guess leather won't too, but that cloth or velour does. I definitely won't let people I don't know use my headphones if they had velour.
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MACDRU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ear pads on the ah-d7000 are made of leather, not the d2000 or the d5000. I kinda like the vinyl anyways on the d2000. Seems more hygienic because they don't absorb any dirt or liquid, just wipe them off. I guess leather won't too, but that cloth or velour does. I definitely won't let people I don't know use my headphones if they had velour.
L3000.gif

Do you own a Denon D7000? If not, on what basis do you believe its earpads are made of leather? I only ask because others who have seen them believe they are the same pads as on the D2000 and D5000, which are definitely not real leather. The claim of leather on Denon's spec sheet for the D7000 may be erroneous, but if you have information otherwise, please share details.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own a Denon D7000? If not, on what basis do you believe its earpads are made of leather? I only ask because others who have seen them believe they are the same pads as on the D2000 and D5000, which are definitely not real leather. The claim of leather on Denon's spec sheet for the D7000 may be erroneous, but if you have information otherwise, please share details.

It is stated in the the official Denon literature that the pad is leather.

Look here and you will find that the picture on the lower right hand corner (with the component breakout) actually states "Ear Pad: Soft Leather".

Of course this was proven to be a lie by MarkL at his lawtonaudio website when he reviewed the D7000 and found it to be the same pad that was used on the D2000 and D5000.

Considering that the Denon literature lies I can understand the confusion. If I bought the D7000's, I would demand that Denon replace the pads with leather ones. I'm no lawyer but I believe this is cause for a class action lawsuit against Denon for false advertising.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is stated in the the official Denon literature that the pad is leather.

Look here and you will find that the picture on the lower right hand corner (with the component breakout) actually states "Ear Pad: Soft Leather".

Of course this was proven to be a lie by MarkL at his lawtonaudio website when he reviewed the D7000 and found it to be the same pad that was used on the D2000 and D5000.

Considering that the Denon literature lies I can understand the confusion. If I bought the D7000's, I would demand that Denon replace the pads with leather ones. I'm no lawyer but I believe this is cause for a class action lawsuit against Denon for false advertising.

Can anyone other than MarkL confirm that their D7000 earpads are not real leather? I understand that MarkL received one of the first D7000s ever shipped. Perhaps Denon did not yet have the leather pads, and perhaps the D7000s now shipping do have leather? Would Denon knowingly continue to distribute erroneous literature?

By the way, high end Italian speaker manufacturer Sonus Faber used to use real leather on its speakers, but it switched to a synthetic that was such a good imitation that customs inspectors thought it was real leather. The pleather pads on the D2000 and D5000 would never be mistaken for real leather, though.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 30
Giving This a bump as I just recieved the Grace M90B yesterday and struggling to make a decision on one these options.

I'm Trying to find a good reference / true headphone for studio use.
Already have AT M5O's, Sennheiser 280's and Alesszndro MS1's so looking fir an appreciable upgrade.

FWIW Michael Grace really likes the 580/600's w his M902, so kinda leaning towards the 600 for a good reference option ???
Thanks for any thoughts!

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 30
I enjoyed the review, specially the fact that you covered a radiohead song :)

I literally just bought the AH-D2000 today at my local store. They will be used about 8hours a day at work and driven by a PA2V2. They are an upgrade from my ATH-M50's, which while great, was ultimately not so comfortable. The D2000 are in a different level when it comes to comfort.

I have the HD-598 too which I use at home through my Pro-Ject Head Box II hooked to my turntable. I think they complement each other well, great sound at work during the day in a crazy comfortable closed headphone, and amazing open sound at night when i play records at home. Win Win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back