DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Dec 28, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,593 of 2,125
That looks physically quite large. 

FiiO are sending me an X7, so it will be another DAP to add to the party in 2016. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,596 of 2,125
I have high hopes to see head-to-head comparisons of these DAPs: QP1R vs Esther M1 vs Cowon P1 
L3000.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,598 of 2,125
I did a quick comparison of the Calyx M to the M1 Esther (Analog) with HD800s. The M1 is more detailed and more natural-sounding than the Calyx in basic summary. I was really rather surprised. Not that the Calyx was bad at all, it is still a nice DAP to listen with. I wouldn't be surprised if I could even things up quite a bit by using iZotope up-sampling on my computer through it, as that has improved the SQ of it in the past, for reasons I've previously explained. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,599 of 2,125
Thanks Currawong for the comparison. The Esther M1 is really something, eh. It's a very good example of dont judge the book by its cover or substance over form. This is the same thing I felt when I had the Studio V3. Although I sold it, I still consider it an excellent DAP despite of its shortcomings. Wish HSA will be back in the market and give us the Studio V's upgrade. Now all I need is to wait for the QP1R vs M1 vs P1 battle then I'll be happy. Looking forward for more DAPs to show in this thread. :)

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,600 of 2,125
Hi everyone,

I need something to properly drive (preferably without an amp) my HD600, as well as other headphones I am considering purchasing in the near future, such as DT1770 or DT880/600 and maybe some Audeze later on. I just have an iPod 6G and a Macbook Pro as sources, which makes any further investment pointless.

As a Spaniard in constant search of employment I have a nomadic way of life within the EU, hence I need something portable. If I had somewhere I could call a "home" I would pull the trigger for Burson Conductor Virtuoso.

I have been considering NWZ-ZX2 (yet it seems the EU version has limited power), A&K Jr./ 100 II/ 120 II (not sure if Jr. would be enough or I would need to go higher), Fiio X5 and iBasso DX80. I see, though, many new options at this thread, such as Cowon P1, PAW Gold, etc. and I am lost.

I don't care about WiFi, bluetooth, apps and so on. I don't care about native DSD either. I just need it to sound great with acceptable battery life. Well, it would be nice if it could be also used as an external DAC with a Mac/PC. I would only go for something as expensive as A&K if it really worths it (I have seen some even dare to compare X5 sec gen to A&K 240, which I am not sure if makes any sense or is just a joke). Also I would prefer to go for a somehow final and not intermediate solution, since I know I will eventually need more.

Would anyone kindly guide me towards a suitable DAP? Would it be feasible to drive those headphones without a portable amp? If not, would you suggest me any DAP/Amp combination?

Thank you all for your help!

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,602 of 2,125
Hi everyone,

I need something to properly drive (preferably without an amp) my HD600, as well as other headphones I am considering purchasing in the near future, such as DT1770 or DT880/600 and maybe some Audeze later on. I just have an iPod 6G and a Macbook Pro as sources, which makes any further investment pointless.

As a Spaniard in constant search of employment I have a nomadic way of life within the EU, hence I need something portable. If I had somewhere I could call a "home" I would pull the trigger for Burson Conductor Virtuoso.

I have been considering NWZ-ZX2 (yet it seems the EU version has limited power), A&K Jr./ 100 II/ 120 II (not sure if Jr. would be enough or I would need to go higher), Fiio X5 and iBasso DX80. I see, though, many new options at this thread, such as Cowon P1, PAW Gold, etc. and I am lost.

I don't care about WiFi, bluetooth, apps and so on. I don't care about native DSD either. I just need it to sound great with acceptable battery life. Well, it would be nice if it could be also used as an external DAC with a Mac/PC. I would only go for something as expensive as A&K if it really worths it (I have seen some even dare to compare X5 sec gen to A&K 240, which I am not sure if makes any sense or is just a joke). Also I would prefer to go for a somehow final and not intermediate solution, since I know I will eventually need more.

Would anyone kindly guide me towards a suitable DAP? Would it be feasible to drive those headphones without a portable amp? If not, would you suggest me any DAP/Amp combination?

Thank you all for your help!
Can drive full size cans, simple in function, portable, sounds incredible, long battery life? Only the Lotoo Paw Gold answers this IMO.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,603 of 2,125
Thanks for the quick reply Mimouille! I will check the Paw Gold again and hope it can be purchased somewhere in the EU. In any case, I do not necessarily need something simple in function but a DAP that is not overpriced due to functions I won't be suing. I would rather say can drive full size cans, portable, sounds great (not necessarily incredible but a reasonable price/SQ ratio) and without serious problems in terms of battery life.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,604 of 2,125
i badly need an M1 vs QP1 vs P1 comparison or else I might regret selling my P1. anyone here can help please? :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,605 of 2,125
Based on demos, I would say:
  • SQ = Paw Gold >> 380 > 240 = X7 >= QP1R > Pioneer (The QP1R is better for full sized can with specific signature that you like or not)
  • UI/Usability = 380 = 240 > X7 = Pioneer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paw Gold >= QP1R

Obviously this is my opinion only, YMMV.

Where would the Mojo fit in? I'm using my streaming subscription most of the time. So even if I create an offline library, it's on my Note 4's micro-SD and not exportable to a DAP. A standalone DAP isn't what I need probably for that reason. However, most DAPs can be used as a DAC + amp as well, so placing the mojo in that list would be very interesting for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back