DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Aug 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #646 of 2,125
比Calyx M 大多了
wink.gif

LMAO.......

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #647 of 2,125
I have Anakchan's RWAK240 here now, along with the rest of the collection we have amassed. Initial comparisons have the RWAK240 providing a darker, more bass-extended sound that includes darkening the mids, something that is noticeable on vocal tracks. It isn't a huge difference -- on a lot of music it isn't so noticeable, maybe even barely so on some. Note decay feels longer on the RWAK240, even if it may not really be. It feels like individual notes have more presence, if not the music in general. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #648 of 2,125
Sounds like bass is boosted which is probably causing decrease in clarity.  I feel the strengths of the AK240 is the clarity.  If the bass has longer decay does it create a perception of bigger stage?  Is the RWAK240 sounding closer to Calyx M than the stock?

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #651 of 2,125
I didn't feel there was any loss of clarity, but what Vinnie describes in his mod. It isn't overt -- more like the effect of adding the Studio Six after the Hugo -- it changes the dynamics subtly in a way that feels like an improvement, rather like chipping a car for a better acceleration curve.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #652 of 2,125

He didn't say loss of clarity he said darker.  That's a tonal shift not a detail loss.

When you call something tonal shift, that makes it sound like what should be outputted at a certain frequency is shifted to another which I hardly doubt is happening.  I'm guessing what you are meaning is more in the line of a boost at certain frequencies.  In this case, it's the bass, and he says the bass has longer decay.  Some headphones have different tonality from another from the boost or dip at certain frequencies.  If there is a boost at 5-10k region relative to other frequencies, it will sound tinnier more analytical.  When he refers to mids being darkened meaning the there is a boost, and it's sounds at a lower level.   Same could be said of the treble too, and you perceive a more laid back sound.  Boost in the bass would add additional dynamics in the lows.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #653 of 2,125
The AK240 must be the ugliest dap I've ever seen. It resembles an AK120 that got stepped on resulting in the sides collapsing outwards at an angle. Damn it hurts my eyes just looking at it! Fortunately for most people, it's the sound that matters most. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #658 of 2,125
The only good looking DAP I have observed is Sony ZX-1

The best looking one for me is the original AK100. Really nailed the clean retro understated luxury looks for me. I would totally buy one again if they put in the dual cs4398 or 9018k2m with a decent AMP.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #660 of 2,125
The best looking one for me is the original AK100. Really nailed the clean retro understated luxury looks for me. I would totally buy one again if they put in the dual cs4398 or 9018k2m with a decent AMP.

I agree though I wish it had physical buttons to fill up the vacant space below the screw, would look so much better. 
The user replacable battery and sd card slot is a bonus.
The AK120 is like taking a smart car and stretching it...so ugly but nowhere near as bad as the AK240.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back