DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Aug 28, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #662 of 2,125
  I agree though I wish it had physical buttons to fill up the vacant space below the screw, would look so much better. 
The user replacable battery and sd card slot is a bonus.
The AK120 is like taking a smart car and stretching it...so ugly but nowhere near as bad as the AK240.  

Do you own any of the DAPs talked about in this thread. Are you interested in owning any of the DAPs in this thread.
Or you just want to let us know your feelings about the aesthetics of the A&K products? Just curious.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #665 of 2,125
  Yes I did read such findings online and strangely i felt its the direct opposite but that is not to say I don like the 120 but 240 sounds different from the 120. Of my DAPs, I prefer the Sound signature of both the 240 and 120 very much as compared to X5 and ZX1.

I agree and feel the same as you too. I'm not an audiophile nor pro but i agree with the term used, very "musical" and "sweet" is how I find the sound signature of the 240.

I am enjoying the 240 immensely as well and finally i know what the fuss is all about. I turned my nose up at the 240 previously and dismissed it just as marketing and hype but when i was going to buy the 120, i decided to audition the 240 and since then I knew I had to have it and finally I got one :)

Adding on my rig with the AK240 is extremely simple, Shure 846s with the stock cable thru the unbalanced 3.5mm output. I cannot imagine if I were to swap with a balanced cable, how much sweeter would the sound signature be like.

I have AK240 with SE846's using a balanced TWAg v3 cable - OMG! I recommend moving to balanced. The AK240 is even more amazing then - seriously.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #669 of 2,125

I have AK240 with SE846's using a balanced TWAg v3 cable - OMG! I recommend moving to balanced. The AK240 is even more amazing then - seriously.

What's interesting about the AK240 is that it's output impedance is moderately high for the 846 but in balanced mode drops some which would tonally lift a veil from the music.  Love to hear it single ended and balanced after bypassing the output resistors.  Not even sure the RWAK240 does that.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #671 of 2,125
I don't understand why some people would be willing to dish out 2.5k for a AK240 if their primary intention is to use it during commute and in public spaces. All the superior detail would be drained out by the background noise, kind of defeats the purpose IMO. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #672 of 2,125
  I don't understand why some people would be willing to dish out 2.5k for a AK240 if their primary intention is to use it during commute and in public spaces. All the superior detail would be drained out by the background noise, kind of defeats the purpose IMO. 

That is a good point sir.  I wouldn't get for use in that kind of environment.  There is no LO in a sense what a dedicated DAC would output as it only has no dedicated LO.  The LO mode is just max volume of the headphone out port.  

Regarding the RWAK240, where did he add the additional caps?  Anybody know where the caps are at on the stock 240?  RWA describes their being a charge cap for instantaneous power needs.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #673 of 2,125

A set of IEM's with superior isolation does the trick for me in noisy places - still get the benefit of the AK240.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #674 of 2,125
My customs provide great isolation. Plus I wouldn't want one totl dap for home and another for out or commute. I prefer using one for all even if were to lose some detail.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #675 of 2,125
I know, essentially you'd be paying 2.5k for just a quality dac when it's the amp section that effects the sound. Almost all dacs costing over $100 sound similar. A dac is a very simple component, there isn't much involved.

Plus the fact you can't even completely bypass the internal is just unacceptable at this price point. 

I bought a used Sony HM-HD5 for $10 and it has this function so essentially, I could get up getting better performance by pairing it up with a really good amp. 
AK240 BIG FAIL!!!  

Tell me if I'm wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back