DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jun 4, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #346 of 2,125
This sound like you can hear a difference between 120 and 240?  I know both have different dual DAC chips.  One is Wolfson and the other is Cirus logic(240).  

I have only demoed the AK series, and I could not distinguish between 120 and 240 based on my demo.  I did distinguish between 100 vs 120 or 240.  It was pretty obvious to my ears 120 or 240 sounded a lot better. Not sure if the 100 was the 22ohm version or the MK2.

Fwiw I upgraded from ak100 to ak120 to ak240. For me the change from ak120 to ak240 was MUCH MORE pronounced than from ak100 to ak120.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #347 of 2,125
I wish I can demo the Tera player some how.  I don't know what the fuss is all about.  Is this thing still WAV file format only?  It just seem not worth it to convert the files so you can play on the Tera.  

I guessing there is a reason for the designer to stick the WAV format.  Probably he favors a certain DA technology.

Although Tera would be too much of pain to have as it lacks features, I would like to audition it and find out what makes it stand out for others.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #348 of 2,125
I am not saying the hdp r10 is not a good DAC.
It is a very good dap I was just making the statement about sabre chips.
But it's apparently more about the whole chain inside.
As the ak series has a nice sound but lacks that realism sound
It's kinda glazed. The hdp r10 always sounded better. More air
Around it.
The Hugo based on what I a have read is an improvement over
Most daps. So I am going to try it.
As for IEMS.
Jh 16/13 fp and Roxanne's.
Tg 334 made custom.
Hier 8a .
Some others I cannot remember right now.
For me CIEMS. Do not reviel as much as headphones.
They sound very good in some aspects but a headphone like
Hd800 or he 6 are much more in many ways better
Al

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #349 of 2,125
I am not saying the hdp r10 is not a good DAC.
It is a very good dap I was just making the statement about sabre chips.
But it's apparently more about the whole chain inside.
As the ak series has a nice sound but lacks that realism sound
It's kinda glazed. The hdp r10 always sounded better. More air
Around it.
The Hugo based on what I a have read is an improvement over
Most daps. So I am going to try it.
As for IEMS.
Jh 16/13 fp and Roxanne's.
Tg 334 made custom.
Hier 8a .
Some others I cannot remember right now.
For me CIEMS. Do not reviel as much as headphones.
They sound very good in some aspects but a headphone like
Hd800 or he 6 are much more in many ways better
Al

Yup, it's probably not fair to compare HD800 or HE-6 with TOTL ciems.  The cans do different aspects better, and so do CIEMs.  CIEMs for one, isolate much better so there is less noise and it's good for monitoring fine details IMO.  Full sized cans have imaging and better aire, and the TOTL are quite detailed while at it.

I'm not sure about what you mean by glazed and why the AK lack realism.  I didn't think AK sounded cold.  Cold sounding is one possiblity for a source to not sound natural or realistic.  I thought AK sounded pretty realistic.  But, it was mostly audiophile tracks that were on there, as they sound realistic on pretty much any source.  

Like you, my ears may favor Sabre chips.  Will have to see if I can notice differences between difference Sabre based implementations.

If you have the HE-6, I think you know what realistic sound is.  
wink.gif
 As I thought HE-6 creates realism to the sound.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #351 of 2,125

I have eliminated the DX90 as it does not bring a key improvement over the 901 in that it has a max of 128 g of memory. To me the key advantage of the AK240 is the 384g of memory and playlist management. Apart from that, the 901 is perfect for me. The size / look / UI do not bother me and the sound is awesome. And I think it CRUSHES my IPC.

As for the Geek Out, well I have the Hugo, and just want a perfect DAP...I am considering the upcoming Cowon too, if it ever comes out.

Then perhaps the X5. I remember you liking it. Dual slots, plus OTG.

Still, it doesn't have the playlist support of the AK240

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #353 of 2,125
I had the x5 as part of the tour. I preferred DX50 and my 901 & minibox is on a different planet altogether

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #354 of 2,125
I much prefer Fiio X5 over DX50 as I believe it is a clear upgrade over the DX50. In between the HM-901 and X5, I feel the difference is smaller where HM-901 has better impact and clarity. I sold the Fiio X5 to a close friend as he was looking for a DAP and I could wholeheartedly recommend him the X5 especially he was not looking to spend too much on DAP. He is still very happy with the purchase the last I check. I auditioned again the AK240 this time with balance out and to my untrained ears, I do not feel it is a clear upgrade to the HM-901. I went on to discuss with an experienced head-fier with way better ears than me. He advised that the key difference between the AK240 and HM-901 is that AK240 produces the sound with a sense of ease and great clarify. whereas the HM-901 in which the sound is upfront and  a little more forced/congested. On the other hand, it can also be interpreted that AK240 sound is less engaging unless further modification. I guess either way is true but the money in my pocket is "truer".

LoL

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #356 of 2,125
Great analogy Cosmic.   I have the AK120 was going to pair it with the HUGO but I really wanted the AK240 but am now intrigued by the 901 and had been looking at that over a year ago.  Would I need the Hugo with the 901 or is it that good.  Does it still get overheated which I read about some time ago.  Finally would you definitely recommend the 901 over the AK240 which is so expensive.

thanks

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #357 of 2,125

You forget that you can use the Hugo with the $350 Fiio X5's digital input that has support for 2 SD cards and OTG.

That's my plan once I get a Hugo.  I'm in a position to buy an AK240 but the X5 has a physical set of controls and from what I hear, the 240 has a touch screen.  I love the less fatiguingsound of the X5 over my IPod 160GB.  That gives me cash to buy a good over-ear set of HPs.
Kevin

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #358 of 2,125
Jun 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #359 of 2,125

Not really, to be honest. With the iOS 8 announcement yesterday, my iphone will only improve further as a DAP. Plus the upcoming iPhone 6 is sure to be another marvel, with even greater speed, UI, etc.. Apple has long used custom Cirrus Logic chips in their phones, and now that Cirrus is acquiring Wolfson and its secrets, I'm sure fireworks are ahead for the end consumer of Apple devices.

no, a misunderstanding

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #360 of 2,125
  Great analogy Cosmic.   I have the AK120 was going to pair it with the HUGO but I really wanted the AK240 but am now intrigued by the 901 and had been looking at that over a year ago.  Would I need the Hugo with the 901 or is it that good.  Does it still get overheated which I read about some time ago.  Finally would you definitely recommend the 901 over the AK240 which is so expensive.

thanks

It seems you already have the budget for AK240. If that's the case, I would not recommend 901 over AK240 mainly because AK240 is a more recent model with better UI and features.AK240 will have a better resell value considering 901 is not a popular product. The 901 gets a bit warm when using balance card. I find Hugo sounds better than AK240 but it is a portable DAC/AMP. It is not so ideal for walk around listening so it depends on your listening habits (whether 90% of your portable listening is stationary). If you sell your AK120 and can live without one microsd card slot, you can also consider the AK100II and AK120II. This will give you an upgrade with money left to spend on better things (maybe buy your wife a gift, too).
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back