DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jun 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #331 of 2,125
to be fully honest I am a bit pissed that I followed people's opinion and tried the 240. It is a very good player, and I am not as disapointed as I was with the 120, but I do not find it to be the DAP that walks on water some people make it to be...people cannot help to judge based on price. Trust your ears people, they are the only ones who must be truthful as they have to live with you afterwards.

To be honest, AK is very good in marketing so to obtain favourable reviews. A good looking device also helps too.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #332 of 2,125

I've gotten a few PMs from people who own the AK240, but find themselves disappointed at how they've spent their funds. I may have a go at it soon myself.

A suggestion...

Instead of dumping even more money into the AK240, why not get the DX90? The same people who sent me those PMs also said the DX90 is equal, if not preferable, to the AK240's SQ, and the UI is pretty good too. My experience with high end DAPs has left me somewhat sour, but it may be worth checking into for you. For 1/5th of the cost of the AK240, I don't think you have anything to lose. 

Also check out the Light Harmonic Geek Out if you can. I find that it destroys everything I've heard in the DAP world, even the HM901. 

I have eliminated the DX90 as it does not bring a key improvement over the 901 in that it has a max of 128 g of memory. To me the key advantage of the AK240 is the 384g of memory and playlist management. Apart from that, the 901 is perfect for me. The size / look / UI do not bother me and the sound is awesome. And I think it CRUSHES my IPC.

As for the Geek Out, well I have the Hugo, and just want a perfect DAP...I am considering the upcoming Cowon too, if it ever comes out.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #333 of 2,125
  So what you are saying is the cost of the AK240 to be used as all in one unit is not worth the money it costs, but if you add the Hugo which is another $1500 then its worth it?
Cause you cannot use the Hugo by itself right?

Any DAP with a clean digital line out will do for Hugo, so really no need for an AK240. I also use the Hugo as a USB DAC. What I am saying is that the Hugo is worth its 2k price, whereas the AK240 is not worth its 2.5k price, when you take into account what these devices bring. But value is in the eye of the beholder.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #335 of 2,125

I do like the look and feel of AK devices, even the 240, and that is their major advantage, and the reason I am keeping the 240 and might be giving the RWAK a try.

So it is not worth the money, but you have one and intend to keep it and maybe even try a more expensive version of it? 
confused.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #336 of 2,125
  A good looking device also helps too.

Surely you're not referring to AK's recent crop of players? I think they're hideous! The original AK 100/120 had an understated appearance that was much more appealing. (Perhaps the new generation's unadulterated ugliness is intended as a theft deterrent? 
biggrin.gif
)

No, if I ever buy an AK DAP, I can assure you it won't be because of looks. . . .

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #337 of 2,125
  Hugo is top of the heap technically but on the surgical side, so if you are hoping for sweetness move along...I myself might give the RWAK240 a try.

I don't find the Hugo to sound "surgical" at all. What I like about it is that it is that it excels in NOT sounding like a "hi-fi" DAC, but can be both ultra-detailed yet musical at the same time, without resorting to compromises to achieve that.

To be honest, AK is very good in marketing so to obtain favourable reviews. A good looking device also helps too.

How do you be "very good in marketing to obtain favourable reviews"? Do you think the reviews of people here were obtained through some kind of marketing trick?

---

I'm still waiting on the updated Calyx M firmware so I can play ALAC files by the way.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #339 of 2,125

You forget that you can use the Hugo with the $350 Fiio X5's digital input that has support for 2 SD cards and OTG.

Chord Hugo I just found to buy, sells for $2345 + $350 $2695. Can get a Ak240 for around $2300....so not only is more expensive to go with the two, but the footprint becomes big, cannot just out it in a shirt pocket.

I just listened for 10 hours straight se-334s and balanced-Miracles. The well recorded songs sound WOW good. I just cannot fathom getting any better on a portable/IEM rig.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #341 of 2,125
Jun 4, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #342 of 2,125
Not yet, but still might, depending on the RWAK...to be fully honest I am a bit pissed that I followed people's opinion and tried the 240. It is a very good player, and I am not as disapointed as I was with the 120, but I do not find it to be the DAP that walks on water some people make it to be...people cannot help to judge based on price. Trust your ears people, they are the only ones who must be truthful as they have to live with you afterwards.

This sound like you can hear a difference between 120 and 240?  I know both have different dual DAC chips.  One is Wolfson and the other is Cirus logic(240).  

I have only demoed the AK series, and I could not distinguish between 120 and 240 based on my demo.  I did distinguish between 100 vs 120 or 240.  It was pretty obvious to my ears 120 or 240 sounded a lot better. Not sure if the 100 was the 22ohm version or the MK2.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #343 of 2,125
Thanks if you could not hear a difrence then it sounds like the ak20 I sold. So it's out. It was nice but too nice it had that glazed over sound the sabre dacs have. The funny thing is I like the HDP r10 more but it too is sabre. . It must be the op amps they use. So today is the day .
Al

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #344 of 2,125
Thanks if you could not hear a difrence then it sounds like the ak20 I sold. So it's out. It was nice but too nice it had that glazed over sound the sabre dacs have. The funny thing is I like the HDP r10 more but it too is sabre. . It must be the op amps they use. So today is the day .
Al

Wait, so are saying you can't hear a difference either?  Do you prefer you Sabre DACs or the AK better?  I'm assuming the Sabre you are referring to are desktop DACs.  

I have an HDP r10 on order to hear any difference from DX90 and X5.  I will have a Concero HP to hear how high the Concero stays up as people were talking about. 

So out of the portables, you prefer Sabre and the HDP r10?

Also, most importantly, what iems are you driving with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back